Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2022, 10:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Cut to Ephram and Amy walking down the school hallway.]

Ephram: How far is that from Juilliard?

Amy: What, NYU? It's like 50 blocks. You can walk it with a good pair of shoes.

Ephram: That's not bad, what else you got?

[Ephram reaches for the notebook Amy is holding.]

Amy: Sarah Lawrence. It's in bronxville. It's about 40 minutes outside of the city by train, but apparently they are very tattoo-friendly, so that's good.

[Ephram walks up to his locker and changes his books around. Amy leans up against the locker beside him.]

Amy: (cont'd) is this too much? I told you that i was only applying to schools that were close to your conservatories and now you're actually hearing me and you're actually freaking out.

Ephram: No, I was just thinking that 40 minutes is pretty far.

[Ephram closes his locker and they continue down the hall.]

Amy: And now i like you again.

Ephram: Well, think about it, end of the year all the other couples are going to be freaking out about the long distance thing and we'll be set.

Amy: Exactly and it's not like New York and Boston don't have the best schools anyways.

Ephram: It's like you're a genius sometimes.

Amy: I know. I could do journalism at Columbia, NYU has the best theater, Tufts has the best pre-med.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-07-2022 at 04:39 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:03 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ I always thought the show flirted with Amy also becoming a doctor and look at the last line.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
^ I always thought the show flirted with Amy also becoming a doctor and look at the last line.
All three options would have worked for Amy. We will never find out which one she actually pursued unfortunately. We are left to imagine and speculate so much because of the early ending of the Series. .
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
All three options would have worked for Amy. We will never find out which one she actually pursued unfortunately. We are left to imagine and speculate so much because of the early ending of the Series. .
Very true. You are right though, all three options made perfect sense.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was a really well-done episode where certain characters pondered their future, and we saw that some of those characters weren’t on the same page with their future plans, and some characters were basing their future plans on each other, which may not have been the best thing to do.

The expression “Shoot the Moon” means to try to try to do or get something that is very difficult to do, and it set the theme for this episode, as Ephram was trying to get into Julliard, which, as Andy said, had 4,000 kids applying and only 30 spots for piano, and Andy was trying to find a breakthrough for Amanda’s husband John. We also Amy at a crossroads where she was trying to decide what college to go to, but her focus seemed to be more on her love for Ephram instead of her own future, much to her father’s dismay. We also saw that Irv and Edna had different views on what they wanted to do with their future, as he longed to travel and she wanted to stay put.
You found it once again.

Quote:
I liked the opening scene, where Ephram, in a voiceover, was writing an essay where he was supposed to describe who he was and where he wanted to be, and he said that two years ago, he knew the answers to that question, but now he wasn’t so sure, which hearkened back to how Julia’s loss changed his world forever.

We then saw Ephram and Amy in the school hall and it seemed that she was making plans to only apply for schools that were near Julliard, which set the tone for the rest of this episode, as her love for Ephram seemed to preclude her original plans to go to her dream college, Princeton University.

We saw that a recruiter from Colorado A & M met with Ephram and he encouraged him to consider going to his school, telling him that Colorado A & M could give him a more well-rounded education than Julliard could, but Ephram had his heart set on going to Julliard. This scene ended with Ephram, in another voiceover writing his essay saying that plans are candy to the Fates, and that the only thing you could ever be sure of is nothing ever goes the way you imagined and that he should be used to that by now, which was an incredibly prophetic statement, not just for this episode but in future episodes to come, as all of Ephram’s best laid plans would soon come crashing down.
Yes, indeed. We see Ephram and Amy so happy and in love, but Ephram's Voice-Over gives us an indication that not only will college plans all be changed (both, single, start out at Colorado A&M, not NYC or Boston as planned) but he will be headed down a dark path the second Madison's mug appears in NYC.

Quote:
We saw Irv tell Edna that he had decided to retire, but she later learned that he had been let go in an obvious case of age discrimination, and she confronted him and she told him that she intended to fight that decision, but Irv told her that he was happy to retire and he was ready to move on to “Phase III” of his life and travel the world with her, but we saw that she wasn’t ready to do that.
I still think this bit about Irv never wanting to stay in Everwood together long-term was invented. He looked way more fine with the town of Everwood in S1 than even Edna did.

Quote:
We saw that Jake was unnecessarily harsh with Edna when she came in late and she quit in a huff, but when she went back to gather her things, he correctly told her that she wasn’t ready to retire and he refused to accept her resignation, which led to the heart-to-heart talk that she had with Irv and she told him that she had gone all around the world but now she had put down roots, and those roots were in Everwood, and Irv reluctantly agreed to stay with her in Everwood, for now.
Jake was a prick yelling at Edna but in the end, he actually helped her out a lot.

Quote:
We saw Andy go to see Amanda and tell her about a possible technique for helping her husband John that involved mental stimulation through music, and although he had put a lot of time in to researching this technique, Andy, as was often the case, was a bit overbearing in recommending this technique to her, and she later told Andy that he needed to listen to her and he needed to learn who John was before his stroke, and she showed him a video of John when he was himself, and we saw happy her and John had been together before the debilitating stroke that changed their lives forever.
You can already see the beginning signs of flirting between them, too. Initially I thought it was more sarcastic dry wit on Amanda's end (since we see from day one she has a sense of humor given how she handled Delia's party) but you can see some flirty moments at the same time. It isn't obvious but you can tell where the writers are going now since we actually do know... precisely where they went.

Quote:
As always, Harold was over the top with his excitement for Amy’s future as he had gotten her information, complete with hats, on the top 50 schools in the country, and he was disappointed when she told him that she had already decided what schools she wanted to apply to, and he was especially disappointed when she told him that she wasn’t considering Princeton University, which had been her dream school since she was a child. What I find ironic about her not considering Princeton is that she was considering Harvard, which is farther away from New York than Princeton is, so her not considering Princeton really didn’t make sense, but it became an important part of this episode as we would see.
Cambridge to Boston is only 20 minutes, due to Ephram. Ephram, in his mind, was either going to be in NYC or Boston.

Quote:
Ephram told Andy that he was going to go on a walking tour of Colorado A & M, and Andy insisted on going with him, much to his dismay, and Delia hilariously turned to Ephram and said “you have no learning curve.”
Delia is a sage.

Quote:
Andy was so incredibly obnoxious and dismissive on the Colorado A & M Tour, embarrassing Ephram who hilariously said that his father had a stroke recently, and he then confronted Andy about his boorish behavior, but Andy was insistent that Ephram needed to solely focus on getting into Julliard, and Ephram said that Andy had been pushing him so much that he didn’t know what he wanted and he didn’t want to be so focused on playing the piano that he wouldn’t make time for anything or anyone else, like Andy had been before Julia’s death.
I've never seen Andy so out of control, obnoxious.

Quote:
At the Abbott dinner table, Bright called out Amy for only applying to schools where she could be near Ephram and Amy sneeringly said that her and Ephram had applied to Colorado A & M as a backup because it was a school that “anyone with a pulse could get into” alluding to the fact that Bright had failed to even get into that school, and Bright, hurt, left the table. Harold was completely correct when he told Amy to not limit her college choices for a boy, and in an incredibly prescient statement he told her that she shouldn’t base all her dreams on something that might change.
What I find interesting is Harold did the same thing for Rose.

Quote:
I loved the scene where Harold went to see Ephram and Ephram thought it was Amy at the door, and he said “Amy, this isn’t gonna be another one of those make-out apologies is it?” only to discover, to his horror and embarrassment, that it was Amy’s father at the door, and when he told Ephram that he was there to see him and not his father, Ephram asked “Should I be scared?” and Harold answered “Every day of your life,” but I loved how he gave Ephram the application to Princeton for Amy and he asked Ephram to ask Amy to consider applying there, telling Ephram that Princeton had been Amy’s dream school since she was a little girl, and acknowledging that she listened to him more than she listened to her own father now. I also love how Harold told Ephram that he had a gift and he didn’t even realize how much of a gift he had, much like Andy did, and that he had also wanted to play the piano but like his original ambition to be a surgeon, he just didn’t have the hands for it. I found this scene to be so moving and incredible, as Ephram got to see a side of Harold that he usually only reserved for his family, and it showed how much he had come to acknowledge and respect that his daughter loved this gifted and complicated young man.
Pure Gold.

Quote:
I loved how Amy saw that when Ephram mentioned New Jersey to her she figured out that Harold had talked to him, but she still refused to consider applying to Princeton, but I loved how honest they were with each other and how she lovingly told him that she wasn’t worried about them.
They work so perfectly together. Nothing could break them up... only outlandish, ridiculous things like pregnancy and even that didn't stop them in the end.

Quote:
I loved that Rose reminded Harold that he didn’t apply to Princeton so he could be with her, and her telling him that seemed to give him some peace of mind.
Exactly. You have to wonder how much Harold really wanted Amy at Princeton for AMY or for Harold to also live out his original dream of attending Princeton via his daughter.

Quote:
I liked Andy and Ephram’s final talk and Andy told him to picture where he would be in four years, and Ephram told him that he’d be playing at Julliard, and Andy told him he would do everything to make that dream come true, but as we would soon see, that dream would soon come crashing down.

I loved how this episode ended with Ephram writing Amy’s Princeton Essay for her, as we realized that his voiceover wasn’t him writing an essay for himself, but for her, because she was the love of his life and like Harold, he wanted her to realize her lifelong dream of being able to go to Princeton. I also loved how so much of what had happened to him in the last two years mirrored what had happened to Amy in the last two years, and his writing that essay from her perspective truly reflected his own perspective because they were so in sync with one another.
Both moments were beautiful and incredibly powerful.

Quote:
Overall, I really enjoyed this episode as it set the stage for everything that was to come.
I love S3. Even with Madisongate hanging around ready to explode, we still have some time to just enjoy really wonderful moments between all the characters we cherish.

I still think there was a way more clever way to show drama and tension between father/son and the main romantic pairing (Ephram and Amy) instead of an illegal pregnancy. It sucks.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

How would you guys rank all 6 episodes of S3?

Quote:
03x01 - For Every Action...
03x02 - ...There is a Reaction
03x03 - Staking Claim
03x04 - The Birds and the Batteries
03x05 - Sacrifice
03x06 - Shoot the Moon
Old 02-07-2022, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I just found this! Look at the date. People are still talking about our show just like Treat on Twitter (what I posted on his thread with so many commenting on what he Tweeted) ...

It was last updated on: Last updated: dec 28, 2021

The 10 Best Episodes of Everwood (Season 3)

Two comments:

Quote:
Having just finished re-watching it 7 years later, I'm impressed that the show has aged so well. This is a family drama that revolves around the lives of a few people, especially the Brown family. The Browns are a family just in name. Andy used to be a famous neurosurgeon in NY and sacrificed his family life in order to further his career. Their moving to Everwood is a desperate attempt to fulfill one last promise he made to his late wife Julia, who had kept them together up until now. He's a stranger to his children and vice-versa, and her wish was for him to mend that. As if the Browns didn't have enough problems of their own, moving to a new town adds many more that they'll have to deal with as they start getting to know the townspeople, especially the Abbotts, whose patriarch Harold is the town's family doctor. It's not all lost though as the Browns also get to meet people that are eager to get to know them and even help. That's especially true for their new neighbor Nina, with whom Andy can relate to since she has to deal with her son all by herself. It's hard trying to explain what Everwood is about because the writting is so good and it deals with such a wide range of subjects in such a sensitive and down-to-earth manner that no description seem to do it justice. A real must-see if you like the genre.

Well I liked it..
Old 02-07-2022, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree. I could see her becoming a doctor and going into practice with her Father and Father-In-Law.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I agree. I could see her becoming a doctor and going into practice with her Father and Father-In-Law.
It would be perfect.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
How would you guys rank all 6 episodes of S3?
I'm trying to answer my own question and it's difficult.

I know my favorite so far is 3.3. Maybe we are better off asking this later.

Or if anyone has an answer, please spill!
Old 02-10-2022, 07:13 PM
Administrator

I'm having a tough time answering this question too.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I am never good at that question!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Xo, Kitty

This week has been crazy, sorry I am late... ish.

Quote:
Simply amazing. Even though we aren't seeing much kissing from Ephram and Amy (thanks to Greg and Emily being sick throughout filming of most of S3), I think it is pretty much inferred that they do their fair share of kissing based on Ephram's comment when he thought Amy was coming over to make up, but it was Harold that was there instead. Berlanti has never, ever, made the audience think we are clueless and stupid. He knows the writing is strong enough, he understands we comprehend what is being shown on the screen and reading between the lines.
I hate when a couple gets together and there is no kiss or passionate moments because its unrealistic to me. Normally I would be upset that E/A had such chaste kisses...but with these two, I really dont even notice because they dont need it. Its so clear how much they really love each other!

Episode thoughts:

Dont kill me but I actually loved Jake this episode. Firstly, he had every right to say what he said to Edna. You cant just stroll in willy nilly an hour late to your job! What is that? Like, she works for him and he has a right to have expectations. She had a right to quit too, if she wanted, but she really had no reason being so mad at him. It's not like he was asking for something unreasonable from her.

Irv losing his job and just expecting Edna to travel with him was weird. I didnt like how he went about it all. I see why he wants that, that sounds like an amazing life! But it was something that needed to be discussed with Edna. Edna wanting to still do things and work etc made sense to me too though. Again, she is valid for feeling how she feels. I loved Irv's compromise and I think it was a great plan. I found it pretty crappy the way that Edna just tells him straight out she took her job back and thats that... i mean, she practically said she was choosing Everwood over him. I was glad that Irv said he was willing to stick it out a bit longer but he has a right to want to do other things with his life as they are getting older. I thought it was unfair of Edna not to hear that out. They need to compromise again. She gets to work for 2 more years and then they will try his plan. IMo that would make the most sense.

Andy and Harold were absolutely ridiculous this episdoe! I mean, Harold was expected, but the way that Andy was shouting such rude things for the recruiter to hear felt a bit out of character. I think it would have made more sense for him to whisper loudly to Ephram and then for her to accidentally overhear or something. Not the way thy wrote it. That school did seem lame though.

I thought we already had the conversation about Ephram deciding he DID want to do piano so that felt a tad repetitive to me. i did find it adorable that E/A wanted to go to school near each other though. Normally I would hate that and say no, dont go to school just for someone else, but like amy said, there were a lot of options and a lot of good schools. Its not like they were choosing the SAME school, just schools on the same coast. I think that is reasonable. I also of course loved her speech to Eprham and how she said shes betting on them .. I was cheering when she told off her dad too and I WAS SO GLAD that she didnt cave to his wishes.

Ephrams essay was cute, and it was an interesting twist at the end, even if I wasnt that happy about it.

Bright was a nitwit this ep and deserved hat cmment from Amy, sorry.

I need to sincerely apologize to Emily and to Amy for not seeing how freaking awesome she is sooner. Like, shes one of my favorite characters now and I dont know why I didnt feel that way before, Im usually always on her side. Besides the Colin crap, I always see her POV.

Oh and Amanda bugs me. Im sorry. The way she talks to Andy is annoying. Like you had one task to help your husband and you couldnt even do it? I didnt really get her point of showing him the video. I think shes being selfish by not sucking it up and trying to just let the music play. Does she not want him to get better? And the whole flirty vibes is so icky considering shes married. I dont like it at all.

eta: Im editing this to add in Harold to the top 5 because I did love his speech ot Ephram. That scene was so great and so sweet.

1. Amy
2. Ephram
3. Harold
4. Jake
5. Irv

okay I completed it lol.

Last edited by Alexa; 02-11-2022 at 07:06 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
This week has been crazy, sorry I am late... ish.
You are fine.

Quote:
I hate when a couple gets together and there is no kiss or passionate moments because its unrealistic to me. Normally I would be upset that E/A had such chaste kisses...but with these two, I really dont even notice because they dont need it. Its so clear how much they really love each other!
So well said.

Quote:
Episode thoughts:

Dont kill me but I actually loved Jake this episode. Firstly, he had every right to say what he said to Edna. You cant just stroll in willy nilly an hour late to your job! What is that? Like, she works for him and he has a right to have expectations. She had a right to quit too, if she wanted, but she really had no reason being so mad at him. It's not like he was asking for something unreasonable from her.
It was in the heat of the moment too and he was stressed from all his patients as it was super busy. Jake really did help Edna in this episode see the light too. Have to give him credit.

Quote:
Irv losing his job and just expecting Edna to travel with him was weird. I didnt like how he went about it all. I see why he wants that, that sounds like an amazing life! But it was something that needed to be discussed with Edna. Edna wanting to still do things and work etc made sense to me too though. Again, she is valid for feeling how she feels. I loved Irv's compromise and I think it was a great plan. I found it pretty crappy the way that Edna just tells him straight out she took her job back and thats that... i mean, she practically said she was choosing Everwood over him. I was glad that Irv said he was willing to stick it out a bit longer but he has a right to want to do other things with his life as they are getting older. I thought it was unfair of Edna not to hear that out. They need to compromise again. She gets to work for 2 more years and then they will try his plan. IMo that would make the most sense.
Their entire interaction was strange. First off, the audience had no idea Irv was only expecting to be in Everwood temporarily until this time period. Then he doesn't tell her he was let go, and said he quit. Then she finds out he was let go and expected her to quit as well and travel. Edna gets mad he didn't communicate but then she does the same thing by quitting her job then taking it back without talking with Irv. They basically did very independent things this episode. I am shocked they weren't severely fighting as a result. It could have been much worse.

Quote:
Andy and Harold were absolutely ridiculous this episdoe! I mean, Harold was expected, but the way that Andy was shouting such rude things for the recruiter to hear felt a bit out of character. I think it would have made more sense for him to whisper loudly to Ephram and then for her to accidentally overhear or something. Not the way thy wrote it. That school did seem lame though.
They both were definitely stupid in this one. LOL.

Quote:
I thought we already had the conversation about Ephram deciding he DID want to do piano so that felt a tad repetitive to me. i did find it adorable that E/A wanted to go to school near each other though. Normally I would hate that and say no, dont go to school just for someone else, but like amy said, there were a lot of options and a lot of good schools. Its not like they were choosing the SAME school, just schools on the same coast. I think that is reasonable. I also of course loved her speech to Eprham and how she said shes betting on them .. I was cheering when she told off her dad too and I WAS SO GLAD that she didnt cave to his wishes.
Exactly. Amy's options were top colleges too and like you said, they were schools near where Ephram would be, not the same school. Yes, we know where both end up going (safety school) but the plan was to be near each other and I didn't think it was a big deal either. Harold not happy she could go to all of those other excellent schools was weird. Especially when he gave up his dream school for love.

Quote:
Ephrams essay was cute, and it was an interesting twist at the end, even if I wasnt that happy about it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Bright was a nitwit this ep and deserved hat cmment from Amy, sorry.
He was. He reminded me of the little boy who does stupid things to get attention then pouts when he's called out. Precisely what Bright did in this one.

Quote:
I need to sincerely apologize to Emily and to Amy for not seeing how freaking awesome she is sooner. Like, shes one of my favorite characters now and I dont know why I didnt feel that way before, Im usually always on her side. Besides the Colin crap, I always see her POV.
Amy is my favorite character.

Quote:
Oh and Amanda bugs me. Im sorry. The way she talks to Andy is annoying. Like you had one task to help your husband and you couldnt even do it? I didnt really get her point of showing him the video. I think shes being selfish by not sucking it up and trying to just let the music play. Does she not want him to get better? And the whole flirty vibes is so icky considering shes married. I dont like it at all.
Right?! The flirty vibes are just gross. Yes, it seems like she is determined to let things remain the same. Yes, she probably feels like there's not a lot of hope but Andy is a top neurosurgeon. No offense to Harold but there's a big difference between Harold treating his issues without any good solution to get him better versus Andy understanding precisely how the brain functions and actively trying to get him back to close to where he was before the stroke. Yet this is the time period she decides to act like it's better to be passive and depressed? Weird. Annoying. She is annoying. LOL.

Quote:
eta: Im editing this to add in Harold to the top 5 because I did love his speech ot Ephram. That scene was so great and so sweet.

1. Amy
2. Ephram
3. Harold
4. Jake
5. Irv

okay I completed it lol.
Harold and Ephram interaction was amazing.

Amy at #1 =

Last edited by jediwands; 02-12-2022 at 11:54 PM
Reply   Post New Thread