Old 06-26-2021, 10:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 2.02 - Extra Ordinary

Rewatch Overview

Extra Ordinary

SUMMARY

Andy is concerned that Ephram needs more extracurricular activities to get into a top college, but Ephram is only focused on his Juilliard audition, which has surprising results. Amy's lack of interest in college preparation alarms her mother more than her father. Bright's poor grades get him kicked off the football team, threatening the scholarship his father believes may be his only chance to get into a decent school. Meanwhile, Andy tries to help a cheerleader with ruptured breast implants, who cares more about looking good than her own health.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
September 22, 2003

WRITER
Michael Green

DIRECTOR
David Petrarca

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 10:13 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

A few comments first then more of a general review:

- I love the scene between Ephram and Amy in the gym. It might "just" be a friendship scene but once again, we are notified that even if these two have to delay their inevitable romantic relationship, they are still connected and friends. It reminds me of how Dawson/Joey were systematically destroyed as the seasons moved along. Not Ephram/Amy on Everwood! They were nursed and protected throughout this entire series. It is such a beautiful thing.

- Themes of one's academic future, and general well-being in the future, dominate the episode. There are various clashes between a parent and child in this episode. Andy reacts poorly to Ephram's plans. Amy blows off of a meeting with a representative from Princeton. Bright is thrown off the football team. Irv spoke about this, but the only extraordinary thing are these extraordinary expectations. Harold and Rose are devastated when they realize why Amy blew off the meeting and why Bright couldn't remain on the football team. The life they want for Amy disappeared when Colin died. Amy is depressed. As a psychologist, while watching this episode, I am reminded of how many people truly do not understand what depression is. It saddens me. People who are truly depressed have to deal with others thinking they can snap out of it when they want to or that they control how they feel. As Amy lays in bed watching television and the blowup at the dinner table, in which Amy flatly responds to her parents' questions while she's not 'there' I am reminded of how bad depression can be and how little so many people understand this disease. It is so troubling to see how Harold doesn't notice or chooses to ignore, blankness and flatness of Amy. She has no emotion.

- Bright had so much class not using Colin's death as a way to get back on the football team. He is awesome. I understand why Harold initially wanted him to use it but Bright would never play the Colin card. I am not a huge fan of Harold's actions and words to Bright when they exchange during that powerful moment.

- The Abbott's are all in interesting situations during this time period... Amy needs to get through her depression, Bright needs to re-prioritize; Harold and Rose need to reassess their roles as parents, adapt to the coming storm, and trust in each other as well as their children. Rose disliked how Harold under minded her during dinner because a united front is the most important aspect of their nuclear family. S1 depicted an ideal, or perfect, family in the Abbotts. S2 will depict a different side of the family.

- Meanwhile, the rep details each of Ephram's flaws. Ephram is deflated and dejected. He enrolls in an SAT course, content to follow the path of his normal peers. I understand why he went there but then again, I did think he was too quick to feel hurt over constructive criticism. I thought it was beautiful when Andy goes to Ephram's class, takes him out, and delivers an inspiring speech.

- Piano, to Ephram, symbolized two different things in S1 and S2... S1 it represented loss. He connected his mother with piano in S1 and as a result, it was difficult for him to freely play it. S2, piano represents a gift to Ephram... a gift Andy knows he has and wants him to go with. Andy says medicine took him around the world and he'd never let Ephram waste his gift.

- I loved the scene when Ephram practices. Delia watches her older brother and says, "I'm glad I'm not a genius."

- One of Andy's greatest lines is spoken in this episode. Ephram freaks out at him before dinner and says, "I'm sure you love this." Andy says, "I was making soup!" Treat Williams has impeccable comedic timing.

- Laynie returns. Always refreshing.

- Harold and Andy miserable at the diner is hilarious. LOL.

General Thoughts:

The title of this thread always intrigues me: Extra in and of itself usually means more than, while ordinary, well, that is pretty easy to deduce what it means. Average. Normal. But when you put the two together, extraordinary, it equates to something amazing. Exquisite. Better than the rest. It is a word I’d use to describe Everwood as a show.

I also think it’s important to talk about how Harold and Andy view their children when it comes to their talents and futures in regards to being extraordinary. I like how the two situations kind of parallel each other in a way, but they sort of also don’t. Harold seems a bit oblivious, at least in the beginning of this episode, to Amy’s depression, which is just starting to rear its ugly head. What he wants is for her to be old extraordinary Amy who has the grades and the criteria to make her the perfect candidate for an Ivy League school such as Princeton; however, that is no longer a dream Amy has the emotional stability to want or need at this point in her life. In fact, I’m sure all Amy longs for is just the ordinary. Not needing energy to get up out of bed, to eat, just yearning to be happy really.

And on the other end of the spectrum, while Andy is fully aware of Ephram’s talents as a pianist, he'd rather him go to a liberal arts school and take classes and be well-rounded. And yet, by the end of the episode, he gets it; Ephram is extraordinary and should be spending his time on his craft.

Very interesting dichotomy in Andy and Harold’s conclusions about their children in this episode.

Amy in this episode is heartbreaking to watch, but I’m still in awe of how well Emily played her. The watching TV, the listlessness, the lack of interest in her future; clearly, this is not a phase, but depression. Everwood is all about the little things... Amy's hair isn’t brushed and she generally is looking disheveled, but it fits. Absolutely. I do see both sides of Harold and Rose’s arguments. On the one hand, it’s a bit much to expect Amy to be doing somersaults and jumping right back into the routine of high school after going through what she went through. I understand Rose missed her, but she needed time; however, that does not mean I think it should be ignored like Harold suggested. Depression is never something that should be ignored. It’s a very serious and delicate issue. So, in that respect, I think both were wrong. Rose was probably more in the right in bringing up that there was a problem instead of Harold who seemed to want to sweep it under the rug and consider it a phase. I get their frustrations, but it’s not just that simple to tell a person grieving to "snap out of it."

Not that I think Amy wasn’t wrong for blowing off the Princeton interview. She was. I enjoy that this episode highlighted the Abbotts as a family and their unit slowly starting to breakdown. Amy was always the smart and popular one, Bright was the athlete, and Rose and Harold had this great marriage, but you start to see the cracks. Not everyone is able to live up to their expectations. Amy can no longer accept that status and neither can Bright and without a united front, even a strong marriage such as the one between Harold and Rose is starting to show its wear.

Bright in this episode tugs at my heartstrings. I do find it a bit suspect that he wouldn’t have known before this how badly he was doing in the course. Unless it was one of those only give a midterm and a final and they are worth 50% and he passed the first test, but just barely and figured he did well on the final? Either way, I still see tremendous growth from Bright here. I love that he didn’t want to use Colin’s death as an excuse. Of course, it would have made his life easier. He could have been back on the football team and “packaged” as a student-athlete, but he acknowledged that wasn’t the way he wanted to go. And it was his fault that he failed. Taking that initiative and responsibility really does prove that despite his screw ups, both previously and the ones we all know are about to come in S3, Bright is a person worthy of respect. When Harold tells him he can’t get into college because he’s not smart enough and he walks away all dejected, it makes me feel so horrible for him. No one deserves to be told that, including by their own father. But I do love their scene at the end.

Ephram. Oh, Ephram. I always love him. To be fair, I do think he deserved some of the criticism the teacher gave him. There was a lull in the time he spent practicing and when it comes to being a pianist, it’s just one of those things you need to dedicate your time to. If you think about people in the Olympics and the time they put in, it really is practically their whole lives. But that doesn’t mean I think he should have been so hard on him as to tell him basically there was no hope as there’s always room for improvement. And unfortunately, while Andy meant to be pragmatic, it ended up hurting Ephram’s confidence I believe. Andy kept telling him throughout this episode to have a backup plan just in case, so when Julliard guy confirms his fears, that he’s not good enough, it reinforces what Andy was saying throughout the episode. Not that I necessarily disagree with Andy. It is practical to have a backup plan, but their scene together when he pulls him out of school is so good I forgive him for his lack of... sensitive perhaps is the right word, parenting skills.

I thought it was wonderful the way Berlanti tied what Andy was going through to what Ephram was going through. No matter how much he tries, Ephram’s always going to be drawn to the piano and he does have that talent. And as much as Andy tries to be good old small town regular doctor Andy, he fails as well, because he does have a gift. But he is trying not to draw attention to his being remarkable as a doctor after Colin. That is really due to nobody believing it anymore as is seen in the medical story of the week. I am glad that he eventually came around to accepting his gift and also helping Ephram accept his talent.

This was a really great episode and definitely plays with how we see ourselves as individuals. Are we ordinary? Are we extraordinary? I like to think we are all extraordinary at times, but there is a lot to be said about timing. Life is not always easy and there are those moments when you are not at your best, nor should you be expected to be. And I also think it’s difficult in that when you’re ordinary, nobody expects you to be extraordinary and when you’re extraordinary, the moments you become ordinary are mind boggling to those around you. If we could only find a middle ground between ordinary and extraordinary.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-27-2021 at 11:44 AM
Old 06-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I really enjoyed this episode and I feel that it really showcased the characters so well, and I especially liked Andy and Harold’s interaction as you could see the mutual caring and respect that they had for each other underneath the bantering insults that had become their trademark. Ultimately, they gave each other good advice as Andy was still feeling guilty about Colin’s death and he was afraid to face the judgmental citizens of Everwood, and Harold realized that he had made a major mistake with his son.

I loved the scene in the gym between Ephram and Amy as they talked about their fathers’ interest in their academic future, but at this point, Amy was still too wrapped up in her grief and depression to interact much with anyone, and this became the overarching theme of not only this episode but in future episodes in Season Two. It was so sad seeing Amy lose interest in everything, and it was equally sad that Harold refused to see the signs that his daughter was suffering from severe depression due to Colin’s death, and he even ignored Rose, who did see those signs. I thought that this show really depicted grief and depression very well, and Emily Van Camp did an incredible job in showing how lost and disengaged Amy had become.

The disparity between how Harold treated Amy versus how Harold treated Bright was really illustrated in this episode because it was so obvious that Amy was Harold’s favorite because she was so much like him, and she had many of the same interests that he had, but he took little interest in anything that Bright was doing because he felt that all he had going for him was football. I thought that Bright was completely correct when he told Harold and Rose that everything was always about Amy when they confronted him about being kicked off the football team. I thought that Harold was unspeakably cruel when he told Bright that he wasn’t smart enough to get into college without football, and although he somewhat redeemed himself at the end of the episode, in some ways, there was simply a chasm between Harold and Bright that could never be bridged.

I liked seeing how there were more layers to Bright beyond the dumb jock stereotype in this episode as he refused to use Colin’s death as a ploy to try and get back on the football team despite his coach and even his father encouraging him to do so, and it showed he had integrity. I did laugh when he only noticed one of the cheerleaders because she was, as Amy put it, “stacked,” and I cracked up when Bright said “I can’t help it if I’m shallow. It’s how God made me!” One hallmark of this show was the warm, witty, and subtle humor that served as an undercurrent beneath all the drama, and this was really showcased in scenes like that and in the scenes between Andy and Harold and Andy and Ephram.

It was so different seeing Kristen Bell playing a shallow, vain and spoiled teenager who was more concerned about looking good than she was about her health, and I thought that her mother was equally vain and shallow for allowing her daughter to get breast implants at the age of 17. I thought that Stacey and her mother were so cruel and so wrong to make a cutting remark to Andy about how they were discounting his opinion due to Colin’s death, and I hated seeing Andy look so sad and hurt when they said that. I was really happy though that after talking to Harold, Andy stood up to both of them and made them listen and respect the medical advice that he was giving them. One key scene that illustrated how much respect Harold had for Andy was when he refused to give a second opinion to Stacey and her mother when they arrogantly discounted Andy’s diagnosis and advice. I also think that this episode illustrated the pressure that society often puts on teenage girls and young women to “look good” and it holds them up to an unrealistic standard of beauty that can’t and shouldn’t be aspired to, and as a result, a good number of teenage girls or young women can become bulimic or submit themselves to unnecessary or in this case dangerous surgeries to transform their looks.

I really liked seeing Laynie in this episode, but I could also see that her character was being marginalized and she later left the show in Season Two.

I liked Ephram and Andy’s scenes in this episode and it was amusing to see Andy’s well-intentioned but overbearing attempts to help Ephram get a plan together for college. I did think that Ephram was completely wrong to lash out at Andy due to his disappointment after the Julliard representative had critiqued his talent so harshly, and Ephram, as we saw throughout this series, could often direct some really cruel and nasty remarks toward his father, and in this case, nothing he said was true. I was happy that Andy saw through Ephram’s nasty meltdown and harsh words toward him and he realized that Ephram’s anger came from feeling that his future in music was being taken away from him, and he took charge and encouraged Ephram to forget about what that representative had said and practice, practice, practice, and I was glad that Ephram did just that.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode and I’m looking forward to the next one.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I really enjoyed this episode and I feel that it really showcased the characters so well, and I especially liked Andy and Harold’s interaction as you could see the mutual caring and respect that they had for each other underneath the bantering insults that had become their trademark. Ultimately, they gave each other good advice as Andy was still feeling guilty about Colin’s death and he was afraid to face the judgmental citizens of Everwood, and Harold realized that he had made a major mistake with his son.
I love how Everwood allows big topics and storylines to marinate and play out in their own time. Nothing is rushed, everything naturally develops and evolves. In S1, we saw red flags indicating Bright and Harold had some issues and of course, Andy and Ephram always have things to discuss and work out together. But even Andy's situation with Colin's surgery took some time. Many shows might just allow the storyline to be finished because the writers would want to move on from the Harts and straight to the aftermath and new big plot. It is refreshing seeing Andy's next patient ridicule and bring out his ongoing fears about acceptance and if he is a worthy physician/surgeon anymore. It was very realistic the stupid Townies would still be unsure and Andy would immediately get triggered by the Colin situation when reminded once again. I love how this was all allowed to be tackled and explored.

Quote:
I loved the scene in the gym between Ephram and Amy as they talked about their fathers’ interest in their academic future, but at this point, Amy was still too wrapped up in her grief and depression to interact much with anyone, and this became the overarching theme of not only this episode but in future episodes in Season Two. It was so sad seeing Amy lose interest in everything, and it was equally sad that Harold refused to see the signs that his daughter was suffering from severe depression due to Colin’s death, and he even ignored Rose, who did see those signs. I thought that this show really depicted grief and depression very well, and Emily Van Camp did an incredible job in showing how lost and disengaged Amy had become.
You can tell Ephram's already picking up on it. Yes, Harold was clueless or in denial, Rose sees what's going on very clearly. Emily was fabulous. On any other network, her subtle nonverbal communication alone would have gotten her an Emmy.

Quote:
The disparity between how Harold treated Amy versus how Harold treated Bright was really illustrated in this episode because it was so obvious that Amy was Harold’s favorite because she was so much like him, and she had many of the same interests that he had, but he took little interest in anything that Bright was doing because he felt that all he had going for him was football. I thought that Bright was completely correct when he told Harold and Rose that everything was always about Amy when they confronted him about being kicked off the football team. I thought that Harold was unspeakably cruel when he told Bright that he wasn’t smart enough to get into college without football, and although he somewhat redeemed himself at the end of the episode, in some ways, there was simply a chasm between Harold and Bright that could never be bridged.
Agreed. How sad that Harold didn't even go to the college fair thing with Bright the year before. Maybe Colin being ill played a part. But no, overall, Harold had his own plan for Bright... he would get into college due to football, not academics, because he wasn't capable of getting there with his grades or intelligence, alone. Yes, Harold and Bright never fully patched up their issues either, long-term.

Quote:
I liked seeing how there were more layers to Bright beyond the dumb jock stereotype in this episode as he refused to use Colin’s death as a ploy to try and get back on the football team despite his coach and even his father encouraging him to do so, and it showed he had integrity. I did laugh when he only noticed one of the cheerleaders because she was, as Amy put it, “stacked,” and I cracked up when Bright said “I can’t help it if I’m shallow. It’s how God made me!” One hallmark of this show was the warm, witty, and subtle humor that served as an undercurrent beneath all the drama, and this was really showcased in scenes like that and in the scenes between Andy and Harold and Andy and Ephram.
Really loved Bright in this one. He went through a major transformation. I also love when Amy asked her friends if it was bad she secretly enjoyed the tumbling.

Everwood is the leader at integrating comedy with very serious dramatic moments. It's special how it works out so beautifully. The Flash actually has some of this too and I believe it's all Berlanti taking a piece from Everwood.

Quote:
It was so different seeing Kristen Bell playing a shallow, vain and spoiled teenager who was more concerned about looking good than she was about her health, and I thought that her mother was equally vain and shallow for allowing her daughter to get breast implants at the age of 17. I thought that Stacey and her mother were so cruel and so wrong to make a cutting remark to Andy about how they were discounting his opinion due to Colin’s death, and I hated seeing Andy look so sad and hurt when they said that. I was really happy though that after talking to Harold, Andy stood up to both of them and made them listen and respect the medical advice that he was giving them. One key scene that illustrated how much respect Harold had for Andy was when he refused to give a second opinion to Stacey and her mother when they arrogantly discounted Andy’s diagnosis and advice. I also think that this episode illustrated the pressure that society often puts on teenage girls and young women to “look good” and it holds them up to an unrealistic standard of beauty that can’t and shouldn’t be aspired to, and as a result, a good number of teenage girls or young women can become bulimic or submit themselves to unnecessary or in this case dangerous surgeries to transform their looks.
100%. All of this.

Yes, Harold's loyalty and respect for Andy was so refreshing and beautiful to see. This is THE episode where you can see in a clear way how much Harold has grown to respect and even care about Andy. It was strange seeing Bell play this character and yes, leave it to Everwood to perfectly illustrate societal pressures on girls and women to look good.

Quote:
I really liked seeing Laynie in this episode, but I could also see that her character was being marginalized and she later left the show in Season Two.
As I continue to rewatch, it seems plain as day she was basically used for certain things and never meant to be a respected character in the eyes of the writers. It's really frustrating. There's not a lot about Everwood I can rip apart but this is an exception. They really messed up not utilizing this character and it's too bad they used her for other storylines like to make Amy jealous and represent the Harts grieving while never getting to truly know them either. We didn't even get to see any Laynie/Colin flashbacks as children or Laynie at Colin's last surgery before his passing. It is so strange.

Quote:
I liked Ephram and Andy’s scenes in this episode and it was amusing to see Andy’s well-intentioned but overbearing attempts to help Ephram get a plan together for college. I did think that Ephram was completely wrong to lash out at Andy due to his disappointment after the Julliard representative had critiqued his talent so harshly, and Ephram, as we saw throughout this series, could often direct some really cruel and nasty remarks toward his father, and in this case, nothing he said was true. I was happy that Andy saw through Ephram’s nasty meltdown and harsh words toward him and he realized that Ephram’s anger came from feeling that his future in music was being taken away from him, and he took charge and encouraged Ephram to forget about what that representative had said and practice, practice, practice, and I was glad that Ephram did just that.
I don't like this pattern with Ephram. He always lashes out at Andy and it really is old at this point. You can see why he went there early S1 but here we are early S2 after they've been through hell and back, landing at a peaceful spot, and yet he's still pulling the same fits and angry outbursts with Andy like he still views him as the same person who existed in NYC. It really is ridiculous. Andy is incredibly patient with him. I honestly think most fathers would have bit back by now. Ephram forgets Andy has encouraged his piano talent since the moment they arrived in Everwood. Ephram is to blame for being casual about practicing. It is all on him yet he continues to blame Andy. I did love the final scene seeing Ephram playing at 7 AM on a Saturday morning though. That was awesome.

Quote:
Overall, I really enjoyed this episode and I’m looking forward to the next one.
What is your current ranking?

Last edited by jediwands; 06-28-2021 at 12:56 AM
Old 06-28-2021, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpensix (View Post)
What is your current ranking?
Are we going to rank the episodes by season or by episodes overall?

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 06-28-2021, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Are we going to rank the episodes by season or by episodes overall?
Whatever you want.

You can do one or the other, or both.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I’m a little behind the times, but will be watching the episode as soon as I can!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpensix (View Post)
Whatever you want.

You can do one or the other, or both.
Personally, I think it's best to rate the episodes by season, as each season is unique.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I’m a little behind the times, but will be watching the episode as soon as I can!
You have time! Looking forward to your thoughts. I wrote a book so have retired for now, jk.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Personally, I think it's best to rate the episodes by season, as each season is unique.
Sounds good, agreed.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts....

Harold is sooooooooooooo zealous and enthusiastic about this college process and Amy is soooooooooo opposite in her interest.
I don't know why Ephram would believe that Andy is clueless regarding all of this considering the fact that he most definitely went to both college and medical school. I'm sure he had to go through search and admission procedures. I guess times were different in his day...not this much competition!

Duke should be giving out mini basketballs instead of frisbees.

It does matter in 4th grade what you wear. Kids are mean!

Harold is so darn pushy. Maybe he should have run this interview appointment with Amy first before setting it up. But then...Amy should have at least showed up.
Amy's downhill spiral is in full force.

So nice to see Laynie even though she's only there for window dressing.

I though Amy was on the cheerleading squad.

At least Bright is aware that he's shallow.

Kristen Bell....what a snot! And her mom is a true dingbat.

Oh no...that Julliard scout. I forgot how much I hate him! Poor Ephram has so much hope and does not realize how much this creep is going to crush him.

Poor Bright can't play football, but I have to admire his integrity.

I love Ephram and Piano...
I hate this guy....plus...he's Ugly!

I detest the way that Harold undermines Rose when she tries to handle Amy.
No, Rose, you shouldn't do nothing...don't listen to Harold....he has his head in the sand.

I love the pep talk Harold gave Andy. Andy really does have to stop taking **** from these people and stand up for himself!

You have to love Ephram's sense of humor. "Traffic."

"You're not smart enough".....I felt that knife go through both Bright and Rose.
Harold is screwing up as a parent with both kids at the moment.

Ephram is upset by what that recruiter said to him and he's taking it out on Andy. That's usually what most kids do...use their parents as the punching. Poor Andy was just making soup!

Harold and Andy are both in the doghouse again with their kids. I love when these two get together at a coffee shop or bar. Lots of wisdom is exchanged!

You tell them, Andy!! Stick up for yourself and let them see how ridiculous they both are.

That talk Bright had with Harold sure was an eye opener for him. Harold never realized what he was doing and the double standard he had with Amy. Bright sure noticed.

I love that Andy broke Ephram out of SAT prep class and I love what he said to him.
"Will you break me out of gym class?"

Rose sees it...I wish Harold did as well. Amy is not listening.

Ephram's piano playing is a wonderful way to wake up to in the morning.
Delia is just so adorable.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
My thoughts....

Harold is sooooooooooooo zealous and enthusiastic about this college process and Amy is soooooooooo opposite in her interest.
Crazy, especially when he didn't remotely care about doing this with Bright. Even talking to colleges who might give him a scholarship, he never went there a year before.

Quote:
I don't know why Ephram would believe that Andy is clueless regarding all of this considering the fact that he most definitely went to both college and medical school. I'm sure he had to go through search and admission procedures. I guess times were different in his day...not this much competition!
Wasn't it strange? I know with my close childhood friend who is an eye surgeon what a big process it was for her getting into medical school and even during medical school with many things she needed to update, etc. Andy would be a master at this.

Quote:
Duke should be giving out mini basketballs instead of frisbees.
That was really strange. Basketball, 1, and even football is slightly big at 2.

Quote:
It does matter in 4th grade what you wear. Kids are mean!
Sadly, yes.

Quote:
Harold is so darn pushy. Maybe he should have run this interview appointment with Amy first before setting it up. But then...Amy should have at least showed up.
Amy's downhill spiral is in full force.
Both were totally wrong here. Harold had to have known even if Amy showed up, there's no way she would have been "present" and had a good interview. Amy could have just told her parents she wasn't going. I guess she didn't go to make them understand she wasn't kidding, she is truly depressed, though.

Quote:
So nice to see Laynie even though she's only there for window dressing.
Dumb, so very dumb.

Quote:
I though Amy was on the cheerleading squad.
So true. Was she cheerleading or dance? Cheerleading?

Quote:
At least Bright is aware that he's shallow.

Quote:
Kristen Bell....what a snot! And her mom is a true dingbat.
Bell played her part perfectly. She's a talented actress.

Quote:
Oh no...that Julliard scout. I forgot how much I hate him! Poor Ephram has so much hope and does not realize how much this creep is going to crush him.
It was so ridiculous.

Quote:
Poor Bright can't play football, but I have to admire his integrity.
Honestly... in a way, and maybe it's the sports angle... for a second I did wonder if he was better off using Colin's passing because he truly was not himself the past year. Granted, he was right, he probably would have gotten that grade regardless. I don't know, it seemed tempting to be granted a redo... a bit shocked the school didn't automatically grant it on their own.

Quote:
I love Ephram and Piano...
I hate this guy....plus...he's Ugly!

Quote:
I detest the way that Harold undermines Rose when she tries to handle Amy.
No, Rose, you shouldn't do nothing...don't listen to Harold....he has his head in the sand.
I completely agree! Rose might have been a little too forward BUT at least she instantly recognized something had to be done. Amy's eyes lit up when Rose suggested help... Amy asked... a therapist? I mean, you could tell Amy was initially wanting this so much. Harold was a dope doing the exact opposite of what was necessary.

Quote:
I love the pep talk Harold gave Andy. Andy really does have to stop taking **** from these people and stand up for himself!
So interesting how Harold was an excellent friend to Andy in this one yet a terrible father.

Quote:
You have to love Ephram's sense of humor. "Traffic."

Quote:
"You're not smart enough".....I felt that knife go through both Bright and Rose.
Harold is screwing up as a parent with both kids at the moment.
It was a terrible moment. I'm shocked Rose didn't get even more angry with Harold.

Quote:
Ephram is upset by what that recruiter said to him and he's taking it out on Andy. That's usually what most kids do...use their parents as the punching. Poor Andy was just making soup!
It really is. The only issue I have is Ephram does it ALL the time. I never did it consistently like that... I would pick my spots.

Quote:
Harold and Andy are both in the doghouse again with their kids. I love when these two get together at a coffee shop or bar. Lots of wisdom is exchanged!
The continuity is sweet. That is their meeting spot.

Quote:
You tell them, Andy!! Stick up for yourself and let them see how ridiculous they both are.
Agreed.

Quote:
That talk Bright had with Harold sure was an eye opener for him. Harold never realized what he was doing and the double standard he had with Amy. Bright sure noticed.
Bright was so wise in this one.

Quote:
I love that Andy broke Ephram out of SAT prep class and I love what he said to him.
"Will you break me out of gym class?"

Quote:
Rose sees it...I wish Harold did as well. Amy is not listening.

Quote:
Ephram's piano playing is a wonderful way to wake up to in the morning.
Delia is just so adorable.
... such a pure, magnetic moment.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-28-2021 at 04:20 PM
Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

[QUOTE=Wilpensix;104269178]
Quote:
Amy is depressed. As a psychologist, while watching this episode, I am reminded of how many people truly do not understand what depression is. It saddens me. People who are truly depressed have to deal with others thinking they can snap out of it when they want to or that they control how they feel. As Amy lays in bed watching television and the blowup at the dinner table, in which Amy flatly responds to her parents' questions while she's not 'there' I am reminded of how bad depression can be and how little so many people understand this disease. It is so troubling to see how Harold doesn't notice or chooses to ignore, blankness and flatness of Amy. She has no emotion.
I have to admit that I was one of those people who did not truly understand what depression is and felt that people are being weak and could snap out of it. I do have a family member and friend who explained it to me and how they felt during their dark low points and I finally understand and have more sympathy for this.
Harold was separating being a doctor with with being a parent and just didn't want to admit that his daughter had a problem.
Quote:

- Meanwhile, the rep details each of Ephram's flaws. Ephram is deflated and dejected. He enrolls in an SAT course, content to follow the path of his normal peers. I understand why he went there but then again, I did think he was too quick to feel hurt over constructive criticism. I thought it was beautiful when Andy goes to Ephram's class, takes him out, and delivers an inspiring speech

I guess Ephram was not confident enough in himself to question this criticism from a person he believed was a true authority regarding piano talent.
I can't believe that any instructor would deflate someone like that and not offer any hope. It would be one thing if Ephram had no talent and absolutely stunk, but that was not the case.

Quote:
So true. Was she cheerleading or dance? Cheerleading?
I think you're right. She's on the dance team for the basketball team.

Quote:
Honestly... in a way, and maybe it's the sports angle... for a second I did wonder if he was better off using Colin's passing because he truly was not himself the past year. Granted, he was right, he probably would have gotten that grade regardless. I don't know, it seemed tempting to be granted a redo... a bit shocked the school didn't automatically grant it on their own.

I think you're right. Ephram should have been given a redo by the school instead of leaving it up to Bright to make that decision. That would have made everything so much easier.

I think this is the very first episode that I started to really like Bright.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I have to admit that I was one of those people who did not truly understand what depression is and felt that people are being weak and could snap out of it. I do have a family member and friend who explained it to me and how they felt during their dark low points and I finally understand and have more sympathy for this.

Quote:
Harold was separating being a doctor with with being a parent and just didn't want to admit that his daughter had a problem.
Precisely. What's so frustrating is he obviously has mental health contacts and could have easily separated it and gotten her to a top specialist immediately but he didn't. S1, the Harts were blowing off/ignoring getting medical follow up for Colin after he suffered bad post-surgical side effects. S2, is about Amy's mental health deteriorating, having tons of family/friends (Harold, Edna, Linda, Andy) in the medical field who could get her quick help (the help she needed back in S1 so it didn't get out of control like it is now) and yet the delay was startling.

Quote:
I guess Ephram was not confident enough in himself to question this criticism from a person he believed was a true authority regarding piano talent.
I can't believe that any instructor would deflate someone like that and not offer any hope. It would be one thing if Ephram had no talent and absolutely stunk, but that was not the case.
It was awful. Ephram didn't even seek him out, this guy tracked Ephram down. It's like he trolled/set him up for hurt. Really strange.

Quote:
I think you're right. She's on the dance team for the basketball team.

Quote:
I think you're right. Ephram should have been given a redo by the school instead of leaving it up to Bright to make that decision. That would have made everything so much easier.
Precisely. That's what the school looks out for, too. Or should, anyway. Struggling students and the whys behind the struggle. The school should have helped him, not put him in an impossible situation.

Quote:
I think this is the very first episode that I started to really like Bright.
Great episode for him!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Season One
  1. Pilot
  2. The Unveiling
  3. The Great Doctor Brown
  4. Vegetative State
  5. Episode 20
  6. Home
  7. Moonlight Sonata
  8. We Hold These Truths
  9. Till Death Do Us Part
  10. Is There a Doctor in the House?
  11. A Thanksgiving Tale
  12. Deer God
  13. The Price of Fame
  14. My Funny Valentine
  15. Colin the Second
  16. Snow Job
  17. Fear Itself
  18. The Doctor Is In
  19. The Miracle of Everwood
  20. The Kissing Bridge
  21. Friendly Fire
  22. Turf Wars
  23. Everwood Confidential

Season Two
  1. The Last of Summer
  2. Extra Ordinary

Reply   Post New Thread