Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

  Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread
 
Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2021, 08:37 AM
  #16
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 262,521
This scene:

Quote:
Open in Dr. Brown's practice. He and Kate are in the exam room. Kate is looking away from the doctor.]

DR. BROWN: Before we go any further, I have to ask you one last time, Kate.

[Kate has turned to face him by this point.]

DR. BROWN: (CONT'D) Are you comfortable with your decision?

KATE: This all happened so fast. I found out and I was afraid to tell my dad. And then I did and, and this avalanche started. He told me that I had to do this and he made me come here. There was all this pressure before I had any time to think about it. It felt like someone was pushing me to do something that I didn't want to do. And then you told me that I didn't have to do this. That there were other choices. So I started to think about the possibility of doing something else and that's when I realized this is the best thing for everyone. This is the best thing for me.

DR. BROWN: OK. Let's go then.

KATE: Where are we going?

DR. BROWN: Across the street.
Vanessa Taylor wishes peace, not hope, would have been the feeling in this scene.

I personally don’t think there’s really anything in the writing that is wrong. It is possible the way it was delivered is the issue.

Last edited by jediwands; 06-03-2021 at 09:20 AM
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:18 AM
  #17
Fan Forum Hero

 
everwoodfan52's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 60,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpensix (View Post)
Remember the scene between Andy and Kate when Andy asked Kate if she was satisfied with her decision (to have an abortion)... Kate’s response is what she’s talking about. She said that scene made it seem like Kate was a little bit too happy with her decision and she wishes it would’ve come across as more peaceful instead.
I think there is a very fine line between Kate's happiness and peace. Kate wasn't giddy, but she was glad that she finally made a decision that was hers and not her dad's. I consider that finding peace.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM
  #18
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 262,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I think there is a very fine line between Kate's happiness and peace. Kate wasn't giddy, but she was glad that she finally made a decision that was hers and not her dad's. I consider that finding peace.
Agreed. You’re right... it was definitely about making the decision her own. She felt empowered. She should feel this way.

I guess Vanessa Taylor was critical of her own writing.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:44 PM
  #19
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 108,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
Ah yes the famous abortion episode, i've heard so many stories about this one, about parents forbidding their kids from watching it and how WB decided not to re-rerun it after it's premiere because of how controversial it was(Berlanti's next show Jack and Bobby also had an abortion episode where the character actually went through with it, though I don't remember that one causing the same controversy and I don't know if that episode was given the same "never rerun" treatment).
Wow, I never realized that happened. I guess this episode was pretty controversial when it aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
Anyways this was a really good episode, some article said it wasn't exactly pro-choice cause of Harold going to confession at the end but I don't agree with that. The episode is clearly very much on Kate's side, Harold is just very much a man of god and can't help but feel guilt about what he does even if he is helping women.
I think the episode illustrated how terminating a pregnancy isn't an easy decision for anyone that's involved in it. Terminating a pregnancy did go against Harold's religious beliefs but he did it to honor the promise that he made to his father and I also agreed with him that the measures women would take to terminate a pregnancy before it was legal to do so could have fatal consequences when it wasn't done by a professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
I definitely thought Andy overreacted big time with the whole Penthouse thing(BTW Nina trying to explain it to Delia was freaking priceless LOL) he honestly sounded kinda like Harold when he was freaking out. I loved how she predicted him apologizing and I did like the end of Delia reading to him.
Andy definitely overreacted and he was wrong to lash out at Nina like he did, but the whole scenario was pretty comical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
I felt for Colin in the beginning but he really became a jerk over the past few episodes and i'm wondering if the fact that he was planning on breaking up with Amy before his accident is ever going to come up(i've not seen a ton of episodes of this show so there's a lot I don't remember and am not overly familiar with).
Colin really did become a jerk as time went on. Amy never learned that Colin planned to break up with her before the accident. A lot of us felt that if she did find that out she might not have gone into such a deep depression after he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
Kate Mara was amazing in this episode, I first saw her on Jack and Bobby where she played one of Jack's love interests Katie, I was kinda bummed her and Jack broke up(nothing against Jack/Courtney, they're a cute couple but I found Katie more interesting) she's really good at playing these female characters that have gone through serious hardships(also liked her in that Nightmare on Elm Street remake which I found underrated).
Kara Mara was and is an amazing actress. I wish that we had seen her again on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
P.S. what's up with the title for this episode? Were the writers afraid calling it anything else would've been making light of the subject matter?
I'm not really sure why that title was chosen but you're correct that it might have been chosen due to its controversial subject matter.
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:07 PM
  #20
Administrator
 
Jerry D's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 1999
Posts: 108,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
Also while I was infuriated at Colin's parents for not taking Andy's warnings seriously, i'm not so sure that would've prevented Colin's seizure as Dr Brown made it clear that the bone fragments were so small they wouldn't show up on scans until a serious incident happened. So even if Colin was under observation 24/7 he probably still would've had the seizure because there was no way of detecting that fragment in his bloodstream before it got to that size.
That's a good point, but Colin's parents were so much in denial about the seriousness of his condition that they didn't heed any warning signs.
__________________
The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it - and the glow from that fire can truly light the world. - John F. Kennedy

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:23 PM
  #21
Fan Forum Legend

 
jediwands's Avatar

Moderator of ...
Everwood
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 262,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everwoodlover (View Post)
Ah yes the famous abortion episode, i've heard so many stories about this one, about parents forbidding their kids from watching it and how WB decided not to re-rerun it after it's premiere because of how controversial it was(Berlanti's next show Jack and Bobby also had an abortion episode where the character actually went through with it, though I don't remember that one causing the same controversy and I don't know if that episode was given the same "never rerun" treatment).

Anyways this was a really good episode, some article said it wasn't exactly pro-choice cause of Harold going to confession at the end but I don't agree with that. The episode is clearly very much on Kate's side, Harold is just very much a man of god and can't help but feel guilt about what he does even if he is helping women.
I agree. I felt it was way more pro-choice (which I was happy for) but yes, Harold's part in all of this was significant and I loved what he did in the end.

Quote:
I definitely thought Andy overreacted big time with the whole Penthouse thing(BTW Nina trying to explain it to Delia was freaking priceless LOL) he honestly sounded kinda like Harold when he was freaking out. I loved how she predicted him apologizing and I did like the end of Delia reading to him.
Andy did overreact. I definitely saw it more as Andy was clueless still as a single father (and really father in general since he wasn't one in NYC) but yes, the Nina/Delia stuff was great. LOL.

Quote:
I felt for Colin in the beginning but he really became a jerk over the past few episodes and i'm wondering if the fact that he was planning on breaking up with Amy before his accident is ever going to come up(i've not seen a ton of episodes of this show so there's a lot I don't remember and am not overly familiar with).
I like your take on Colin. Yes, the fact that Colin was going to break up with Amy has always intrigued me. I wish Amy would have found out. Like Jerry said, she might not have sunk into such a deep depression.

Quote:
Kate Mara was amazing in this episode, I first saw her on Jack and Bobby where she played one of Jack's love interests Katie, I was kinda bummed her and Jack broke up(nothing against Jack/Courtney, they're a cute couple but I found Katie more interesting) she's really good at playing these female characters that have gone through serious hardships(also liked her in that Nightmare on Elm Street remake which I found underrated).
I really like Kate Mara. I wish she would have stayed on Everwood for more episodes. I would have preferred Ephram getting involved with Kate romantically over Madison.

Quote:
Also loved the scenes with Kate's dad, the guy who played him was damn good, you can feel the anger and hurt at what his daughter has gone through and it really shows the darker side of quaint small towns like Everwood.
He is a very good actor.

Quote:
P.S. what's up with the title for this episode? Were the writers afraid calling it anything else would've been making light of the subject matter?
Excellent question. We never really found out why the episode is titled this way but I suspect you are right on and it is due to the subject matter.
jediwands is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Affiliates
Emily VanCamp, Chris Pratt Universe, Emily VanCamp Brasil, Chris Pratt Web
Thread Tools



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top

Powered by vBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2022.

Copyright © 1998-2022, Fan Forum.


TEST