Old 05-08-2021, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.18 - The Unveiling

Rewatch Overview

The Unveiling

SUMMARY

Approaching the anniversary of his mother's death, Ephram confronts a repressed memory of his father cheating on his mother, causing an even bigger rift between father and son that eventually leads to a firestorm of emotions. Meanwhile, Amy grows concerned that Colin might not be recovering as well as everyone thinks when he gets violently ill on one of their dates. Amy tells her father who later tells Doctor Brown which causes the Harts to dismiss Andy from being their doctor.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
February 24, 2003

WRITER
Greg Berlanti
Rina Mimoun

DIRECTOR
Michael Schultz

Last edited by jediwands; 05-08-2021 at 10:16 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

It is interesting to see how this episode focuses solely on Ephram and what he sees. I love this because you can better understand why Ephram feels the way that he does towards Andy. I mean, this episode clearly shows how Julia technically succeeded where Andy failed. We get to view the dynamic between Julia/Ephram very clearly. This episode really puts it all together. The most powerful aspect, in my opinion, is how Andy is never seen in the flashbacks. His voice is there but that is it.

I also feel it strongly when Ephram tells Julia to leave Andy and her response is so blunt about needing him. When the cheating revelation comes into play, it amazes me how I don't feel it darkens Julia as a character. I am typically very black and white with these things. Cheating is wrong, period. However, in this case, I understood where Julia was coming from. It doesn't make adultery right. I just think the storytelling is so good, I actually felt sorry for both Andy and Julia.

Ephram coming to a strong realization of needing Julia to be perfect because Andy disappointed is very compelling. How beautiful when Ephram realizes he doesn't need Julia to be perfect anymore because Andy has evolved as a father. I love this because Ephram has finally made peace with his memories in Manhattan, USA.

So apparently in the Jewish faith it is believed it takes one year for the Soul to reach Heaven, for the Soul to find true peace. It is not a coincidence Ephram finds peace one year after the death of his mother. Brilliant storytelling. Peace with his memories in Manhattan and peace with his father for Ephram.

There's a couple moments in the Colin storyline that I cry and this episode is one of them. Devastating. It's not just the fact that we see him throwing up, but also what it means long-term. He is clearly not going to make it. I honestly knew he was going to die after this scene without remotely being spoiled. I knew it. Felt a sadness from the moment he woke up after surgery and there were hints throughout he was never going to survive, but after this episode it is 100% clear his fate is not a good one.

It is also sad how the Harts respond and of course, Andy is to blame. Why would Colin’s parents not want Andy’s help? They should feel fortunate he’s following their son so closely. It is insane. Only Andy, Harold and poor Laynie understand what is going on. Colin gets pissed at Amy for telling Harold and Amy gets pissed right back at Harold. Amy is terrified though, you can see and feel it.

I absolutely despise how Mrs. Hart treated Laynie when she entered the room after Andy arrived. Laynie was thrown away in the garbage, like she was trash. In my mind, it’s a form of abuse and neglect.

Julia's death shapes Ephram/Delia/Andy so much, and you get to see why in this one. I know there has been mixed feelings on Julia after the cheating reveal from the fandom in the past. Julia in this episode, for me was fun, sweet, caring. She's the kind of parent that gets their kids, but also enjoys being around them. She just thrives at being a parent. The writing is just so perfect, making her the polar opposite of Andy. She knows exactly how to talk to Ephram. Ephram needed a gentler presence, and you see that with Julia here. Ephram lets her see every aspect of him. He didn't even let Jacob into every part of his world, and he barely lets Andy in at all for most of S1.

It was so necessary to see Ephram and Julia here. Ephram has been SO harsh to Andy for so long, and we really did need to see why he doesn't even give the man a chance, and why even when Andy's trying his very best at being a parent, he falls short with Ephram so greatly.

Ephram and Delia rule. Awe. Delia really helps bring out the best of Ephram, and him at his most mature. I really wish we would have received more scenes between these two throughout the series. We really needed this.

The Ephram/Andy fight... wow. INTENSE. I like that Andy gets quieter when he's saying he never cheated on Julia, instead of louder. Such a great touch. The Energy was spot on. As is not seeing Andy's face when he makes the decision to tell Ephram. Or the pause between Andy telling Ephram that he was afraid that "she would see him again." Or the silence of the whole scene. Brilliant.

I love that Andy admits that he wouldn't have changed as a husband. We all knew that, but him knowing it, admitting it, is huge. He is filled with so much regret for so much of this series, and I just... hate that we never got to see him fulfill that last journey of being a husband with Nina.

The significance of that office scene between Andy and Ephram is so awesome. Andy kissing Ephram on the forehead, for the first time, always gives me chills. It's so real and well-earned. After everything that Ephram and Andy have been through, to get to that point of pure honesty from the both of them is incredible. They both get to share in this secret. And for the first time, they really both get to share in their grief over Julia's death.

Ending piano flashback is totally the return to final scene in the Pilot. I adore the subtle parallels/callbacks the show makes. Only Everwood.

Last thoughts:

- Loved the Ephram/Delia scene in which Ephram assured Delia about Julia.

- The foursome of Greg, Treat, Emily, and Tom were extra amazing in this one.

- You start seeing Amy’s fantasy with Colin so clearly in this one. It’s not real. Her outbursts and the way she talks is so telling.

- Ephram certainly has numerous types of women since the lead singer of No Doubt (heh) and Amy Abbott couldn't be more different.

- Andy and Harold's parenting situations are interesting: Andy told Ephram something he wishes he hadn't (Ephram's not sorry to have heard it, though) and is sorry, while Harold won't apologize for telling Amy what she needs to hear.

- So cute seeing Nina and Delia head off together.

- Just love watching Andy/Nina eating pizza together with the kids.

- Matt is so gross. Granted, I’m also basing it on what we find out later. But in general, he just rubs me the wrong way.

- Such a powerful scene when Amy tells Harold that Colin is throwing up. Emily and Tom are magicians together on the screen. Harold’s expression knowing it’s serious is so powerful.

- Of course Berlanti co-wrote this one. The best episode of the series, in my opinion.

- The cute Ephram/Amy scene was beautiful. Berlanti never lets us forget them no matter what else is going on.

- Andy/Harold diner scene was awesome, too.

- Laynie leaving again is so sad. She’s intuitive. Just like she knew Ephram had feelings for Amy, she also understands Colin is very sick and a good ending is not in the cards. Her parents suck for how they treat her and live in denial over Colin’s situation.

- "I will never be done with the salt. Ever." I love you, Amy. LOL.

This episode is the definition of how great Everwood can be. All around flawless acting, beautiful storylines, nice tone and flow throughout the entire episode. This episode had it all. To see the interaction between Julia/Ephram, the revelation of Julie/Andy's marriage difficulties, followed by Ephram/Andy's powerful confrontation. It's as good as it gets. One of the best episodes of not only Season 1, but the entire series.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-10-2021 at 02:10 PM
Old 05-10-2021, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

DAMN, this was a good episode. The best one yet imo. I had to look up the writer afterwards and of course Greg was one of them. So good. So so so good, I was on the verge of crying for so much of it. It was just so DEEP! Like, it makes me angry tbh. I get so mad that shows these days are just so terrible and dont live up to the level that this show brings to each episode.

Great thoughts Michelle, i read them all and i agree with your points.

It was SO GREAT to really get to see Julia in more detail from the past scenes. I dont usually like flashbacks at all but these ones just worked for me. You truly get to see the loving relationship between her and Ephram. And it makes Ephram's attitude towards Andy in the present TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE because she was just the best mom. It made me so so so sad though, knowing that she is gone and that relationship is gone. Super duper upsetting. And the ending scenes with them laying her to peace was just sdfsfsfds. (Also I will add I love that they incorporate Jewish heritage here.) It was also a nice twist that Julia was the one who had cheated.

I loved the small snippets of Nina and Delia together, and also when Delia told Ephram she was missing her mom less and less. Sad, but understandable and I loved that moment between the two of them. Delia really deserves more focus.

THE SCENE WITH ANDY AND EPHRAM AT THE END WHEN THEY CAME TO AN UNDERSTANDING, TALKED ABOUT JULIA AND ANDY KISSED EPHRAM ON THE HEAD MY HEARTTTTTT. That wast he cutest scene freaking everrrrrrr. Their dynamic is just SO GOOD and so sweet and I cant take it sometimes.

Dang Colin's parents are truly THE WORST. The absolute WORST! They want their lives to go back to normal because its "easier" rather than the face the truth of the situation. It makes no sense that they dont want to make sure their CHILD is freaking okay. Its sickening, honestly. Good for Andy telling them they were making a mistake. I wish he had been even harsher though and told them that Colin could DIE.... like, wtf. Worst parents ever. I dont blame Laynie for wanting to leave however, to me it didnt make a lot of sense. She wants to leave her brother again knowing he's sick? Wouldnt she want to push her parents to do the right thing and get him checked out???

Harold and Andy scenes.

Amy has really been annoying me lately. Shes worried for Colin, goes to her dad and when he alerts Colin's family she FREAKS OUT on him??? WHATTTTT Makes no sense. Amy do you want to close your eyes and pretend Colin is okay?? God, that was dumb. She was being such a brat with the family. Good for Rose telling her to go to her damn room lol. Her obsession with him in unhealthy and weird! I loved later when Harold told her he wasnt sorry. Good for him.

Side note but the E/A scene was great, as usual. Their chemistry is just good. I love that Amy was flirting with him about wearing a suit too.

Top 5 for me:

1. Andy
2. Ephram
3. Julia
4. Harold
5. Delia

Didn't really have a 5 tbh, but I think her small scene with Ephram nudged her in for me.

Last edited by Alexa; 05-11-2021 at 01:23 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:16 AM
Part-Time Fan

Will watch this one later tonight and post thoughts.
Coffeejunkie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive!2021 (View Post)
Will watch this one later tonight and post thoughts.
Yay, looking forward to it!

Last edited by jediwands; 05-10-2021 at 06:24 PM
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
DAMN, this was a good episode. The best one yet imo. I had to look up the writer afterwards and of course Greg was one of them. So good. So so so good, I was on the verge of crying for so much of it. It was just so DEEP! Like, it makes me angry tbh. I get so mad that shows these days are just so terrible and dont live up to the level that this show brings to each episode.
So well said. You are right, they do not make shows like Evewwood anymore. I don't know if the writers just don't have the time or they're trying to wow you in more shocking ways but it seems shows creators in the present just don't have the patience Greg Berlanti had with Everwood.

Quote:
Great thoughts Michele, i read them all and i agree with your points.
Thanks! Agree with yours as well.

Quote:
It was SO GREAT to really get to see Julia in more detail from the past scenes. I dont usually like flashbacks at all but these ones just worked for me. You truly get to see the loving relationship between her and Ephram. And it makes Ephram's attitude towards Andy in the present TOTALLY UNDERSTANDABLE because she was just the best mom. It made me so so so sad though, knowing that she is gone and that relationship is gone. Super duper upsetting. And the ending scenes with them laying her to peace was just sdfsfsfds. (Also I will add I love that they incorporate Jewish heritage here.) It was also a nice twist that Julia was the one who had cheated.
^ All of this. Exactly. This show pulled everything together. It was really nice. Andy got some sort of vindication while also owning up to his mistakes, we understood why Ephram couldn't give Andy a break, and seeing the Ephram/Julia relationship was just so solid. It really was heartbreaking. So beautiful but heartbreaking. The episode played out like a movie basically. It was brilliant.

Quote:
I loved the small snippets of Nina and Delia together, and also when Delia told Ephram she was missing her mom less and less. Sad, but understandable and I loved that moment between the two of them. Delia really deserves more focus.
So sweet. I loved when Ephram got on Delia's level and told the perfect story to make her feel better. This show is so realistic, it just eats you up with realism and tugs at your heart.

Quote:
THE SCENE WITH ANDY AND EPHRAM AT THE END WHEN THEY CAME TO AN UNDERSTANDING, TALKED ABOUT JULIA AND ANDY KISSED EPHRAM ON THE HEAD MY HEARTTTTTT. That wast he cutest scene freaking everrrrrrr. Their dynamic is just SO GOOD and so sweet and I cant take it sometimes.

Quote:
Dang Colin's parents are truly THE WORST. The absolute WORST! They want their lives to go back to normal because its "easier" rather than the face the truth of the situation. It makes no sense that they dont want to make sure their CHILD is freaking okay. Its sickening, honestly. Good for Andy telling them they were making a mistake. I wish he had been even harsher though and told them that Colin could DIE.... like, wtf. Worst parents ever. I dont blame Laynie for wanting to leave however, to me it didnt make a lot of sense. She wants to leave her brother again knowing he's sick? Wouldnt she want to push her parents to do the right thing and get him checked out???
Exactly. What I am wondering is if Colin would have been more closely checked out and they spotted the problem during this time period, would it have somehow saved his life with quicker surgical treatment? The Harts are the worst. I am convinced Berlanti wanted us to despise them. It worked! They're idiots. Yes, Laynie leaving on one hand, was understandable. She wanted peace. On the other hand, she did know what was up and maybe it would have been better for her to push Colin getting medical attention. It's possible she simply gave up on her parents since they treated her like she wasn't even there in the first place. Really sad.

Quote:
Harold and Andy scenes.
Always golden.

Quote:
Amy has really been annoying me lately. Shes worried for Colin, goes to her dad and when he alerts Colin's family she FREAKS OUT on him??? WHATTTTT Makes no sense. Amy do you want to close your eyes and pretend Colin is okay?? God, that was dumb. She was being such a brat with the family. Good for Rose telling her to go to her damn room lol. Her obsession with him in unhealthy and weird! I loved later when Harold told her he wasnt sorry. Good for him.
I completely agree. Amy was rambling like a lunatic earlier. You can tell deep down she knows something is wrong with him, but at the same time, she's determined to rely on that fantasy of thinking they are meant to be when they are plastic and not even real. I cannot believe Amy would even put up with Colin getting pissed at her for talking to Harold. Her dad's a doctor. Amy witnessed him throwing up. She had every right to talk to her father if she wanted to not only because he's her father, but he's also a doctor. Shut up, Colin. Your situation is awful, but you had no right playing emotional games with Amy. I wish Amy would have told Harold at the end she understood. Harold was bang on and yes, Rose telling her to get to her room was brilliant. She deserved it.

Quote:
Side note but the E/A scene was great, as usual. Their chemistry is just good. I love that Amy was flirting with him about wearing a suit too.
They just cannot stay away from each other. They always find a way no matter what is going on around them.

Quote:
Top 5 for me:

1. Andy
2. Ephram
3. Julia
4. Harold
5. Delia

Didn't really have a 5 tbh, but I think her small scene with Ephram nudged her in for me.
Yeah.

Great thoughts!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was one of the most emotionally powerful and moving episodes of a television show that I’ve ever seen, as we got to see, once again, just how human all these characters are, and we also got to learn, once more, about the concept of love, loss, and forgiveness, as we learned a shocking secret about a person whose departure left a tremendous void in the lives of the people who loved her.

I thought that the opening scene was incredibly powerful, as Ephram played a piece of music that opened the floodgates of his memories, and through the use of flashbacks, we got to see glimpses of the problems that had plagued the marriage of Andy and Julia, problems which fueled Ephram’s sometimes smoldering, but never extinguished, resentment towards his father, but we also got to see what a wonderful woman Julia Brown really was. I thought that the way that the scenes from Ephram’s present life were interspersed with his memories of the times he had spent with his beloved mother were poignant and incredibly moving, as we got to see how close Ephram and Julia were, but we also got to see that Julia wasn’t perfect, and in hindsight, we saw that she was keeping a secret from Ephram as he grew suspicious about the timing of his father’s absence just before she died, but like Andy said, Ephram’s realization of that fact didn’t have to diminish his memories of her, and I was happy that Ephram said that she didn’t need her to be perfect anymore.

I think that it’s safe to say that Andy and Ephram have had a very troubled relationship, and although they’ve made some progress over the last year, and reached periods of relative tranquility, there’s always been an undercurrent of resentment of Andy on Ephram’s part due to the way he had neglected Julia and their family, and tonight, as the occasion of the unveiling of Julia’s gravestone weighed heavily on all their minds, Ephram recalled the days that immediately preceded Julia’s death, and we got to see the special rapport that Ephram and Julia had, and how much he misses her. At the same time, though, we also got to see in those flashbacks that he sensed that something was seriously amiss in his parent’s marriage, but to his shock and to the shock of the collective audience, when he confronted Andy about those last few days in Julia’s life, and he accused Andy of cheating on his mother, Andy reluctantly revealed that Julia had “met someone,” and that he had been devastated by this revelation, and he had stayed away from home for a few days to try and cope with this shocking news. The most powerful lesson that Andy imparted to Ephram in that incredibly powerful scene and the scene that followed it was the concept of forgiveness, though, because he understood why Julia had strayed from their marriage vows, and he not only forgave her, but he begged for her forgiveness. You could tell in that scene that Andy bore Julia no rancor for what had happened, and that’s he completely forgave her in his heart, even if he hasn’t quite forgiven himself for the behavior on his part that had drove her to do that, because he acknowledged that while he had promised Julia that he would change, he really wouldn’t have been able to. You could also tell that living with that knowledge and guilt must have been a crushing burden for him, and so in a scene that was simply rife with heartfelt emotion, Andy accepted Ephram’s apology, and he told him that if he needed to be angry with his mother, he could do so, but then he needed to forgive her, and in saying that, I think that they crossed a threshold of anger and resentment towards each other, and I’m hoping that some type of true healing can begin in their fractured relationship.

I thought the scene between Ephram and Delia was poignant and sweet, as Delia said she felt guilty because she didn’t think of their mother as often as she did when Julia first passed away, but Ephram told her that was okay, because when she did think of their mother, it would be extra special, and you could tell that those words really comforted Delia.

I was happy to see Amy and Colin so happy and passionate with one another, and it was funny watching them run from her bedroom to the couch before her parents got in the door, but we soon got to see that Colin was sicker than he or his parents wanted to admit, and Amy’s witnessing his bout of nausea set off a series of misunderstandings, denials, and angry confrontations that ultimately resulted in some really hurt feelings all around. I liked Amy’s initial conversation about Colin with her father, and I was amused by Harold’s discomfort with her talking about being in love with Colin, as he saw, to his chagrin, that his “little girl” was growing up, and when he unwittingly revealed something that she had confided to him about Colin’s health, a rift was formed in what he had always saw as a “special relationship” between him and his daughter, and I was very saddened to see that. We saw that Colin later confronted Amy about violating his trust, and she, in turn, confronted her father about violating her trust, and I thought that her melodramatic temper tantrum at the dinner table, and the cold way she later dismissed her father when he tried to reach out to her, proved that she has a lot of growing up to do, and it saddened me to see the stricken look on Harold’s face as he realized that something special had been lost between him and his daughter, at least temporarily.

I was really disappointed in the actions of the Harts as they, along with Colin, refused to heed Andy’s advice that he needed to get further tests for his condition, and I found it unbelievable that they didn’t want to send Colin away for testing that could better pinpoint his condition, but that they would basically ship off Laynie to boarding school again while they all lived in denial. I could understand Colin’s desire to hide his illness and pretend that he’s better than he really is, because I feel that it’s human nature to want to do that, because he just wants to feel better and resume his normal life, but his parents should know better, and their refusal to face reality could have dire consequences for their son. I think that the Harts were very foolish to dismiss Andy and ignore his concerns for Colin’s health, and I thought that Andy was absolutely right when he told them that they don’t want to deal with the severity of Colin’s condition, a statement that was later echoed by the departing Laynie when she told Colin that he was sick, and that no one wanted to deal with it, and we know that all this came to a head in future episodes in Season One.

Overall, I thought that this was one of the best episodes of Everwood that I’ve ever seen.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was one of the most emotionally powerful and moving episodes of a television show that I’ve ever seen, as we got to see, once again, just how human all these characters are, and we also got to learn, once more, about the concept of love, loss, and forgiveness, as we learned a shocking secret about a person whose departure left a tremendous void in the lives of the people who loved her.
This episode feels so real. From the opening scene right until the very end, it comes to life. It doesn't even remind me of regular TV, more like real life being recorded for viewing.

Flashbacks sometimes can be overkill or take away from the essence of the story. Not here. It only pulled things together profoundly.

Quote:
I thought that the opening scene was incredibly powerful, as Ephram played a piece of music that opened the floodgates of his memories, and through the use of flashbacks, we got to see glimpses of the problems that had plagued the marriage of Andy and Julia, problems which fueled Ephram’s sometimes smoldering, but never extinguished, resentment towards his father, but we also got to see what a wonderful woman Julia Brown really was. I thought that the way that the scenes from Ephram’s present life were interspersed with his memories of the times he had spent with his beloved mother were poignant and incredibly moving, as we got to see how close Ephram and Julia were, but we also got to see that Julia wasn’t perfect, and in hindsight, we saw that she was keeping a secret from Ephram as he grew suspicious about the timing of his father’s absence just before she died, but like Andy said, Ephram’s realization of that fact didn’t have to diminish his memories of her, and I was happy that Ephram said that she didn’t need her to be perfect anymore.

I think that it’s safe to say that Andy and Ephram have had a very troubled relationship, and although they’ve made some progress over the last year, and reached periods of relative tranquility, there’s always been an undercurrent of resentment of Andy on Ephram’s part due to the way he had neglected Julia and their family, and tonight, as the occasion of the unveiling of Julia’s gravestone weighed heavily on all their minds, Ephram recalled the days that immediately preceded Julia’s death, and we got to see the special rapport that Ephram and Julia had, and how much he misses her. At the same time, though, we also got to see in those flashbacks that he sensed that something was seriously amiss in his parent’s marriage, but to his shock and to the shock of the collective audience, when he confronted Andy about those last few days in Julia’s life, and he accused Andy of cheating on his mother, Andy reluctantly revealed that Julia had “met someone,” and that he had been devastated by this revelation, and he had stayed away from home for a few days to try and cope with this shocking news. The most powerful lesson that Andy imparted to Ephram in that incredibly powerful scene and the scene that followed it was the concept of forgiveness, though, because he understood why Julia had strayed from their marriage vows, and he not only forgave her, but he begged for her forgiveness. You could tell in that scene that Andy bore Julia no rancor for what had happened, and that’s he completely forgave her in his heart, even if he hasn’t quite forgiven himself for the behavior on his part that had drove her to do that, because he acknowledged that while he had promised Julia that he would change, he really wouldn’t have been able to. You could also tell that living with that knowledge and guilt must have been a crushing burden for him, and so in a scene that was simply rife with heartfelt emotion, Andy accepted Ephram’s apology, and he told him that if he needed to be angry with his mother, he could do so, but then he needed to forgive her, and in saying that, I think that they crossed a threshold of anger and resentment towards each other, and I’m hoping that some type of true healing can begin in their fractured relationship.

Quote:
I thought the scene between Ephram and Delia was poignant and sweet, as Delia said she felt guilty because she didn’t think of their mother as often as she did when Julia first passed away, but Ephram told her that was okay, because when she did think of their mother, it would be extra special, and you could tell that those words really comforted Delia.
It was so beautifully constructed. I wish we would have received more Ephram/Delia scenes. Instead of gross Madison in S2, we deserved to see more sibling interaction.

Quote:
I was happy to see Amy and Colin so happy and passionate with one another, and it was funny watching them run from her bedroom to the couch before her parents got in the door, but we soon got to see that Colin was sicker than he or his parents wanted to admit, and Amy’s witnessing his bout of nausea set off a series of misunderstandings, denials, and angry confrontations that ultimately resulted in some really hurt feelings all around. I liked Amy’s initial conversation about Colin with her father, and I was amused by Harold’s discomfort with her talking about being in love with Colin, as he saw, to his chagrin, that his “little girl” was growing up, and when he unwittingly revealed something that she had confided to him about Colin’s health, a rift was formed in what he had always saw as a “special relationship” between him and his daughter, and I was very saddened to see that.
Harold being uncomfortable only reminded me of early S3 when Ephram/Amy got into that fight and Amy was so sad. Harold was so sweet with her, reminding her that she loved Ephram. He certainly didn't sound uncomfortable or hesitant talking to Amy about how much she loved and needed Ephram.

Quote:
We saw that Colin later confronted Amy about violating his trust, and she, in turn, confronted her father about violating her trust, and I thought that her melodramatic temper tantrum at the dinner table, and the cold way she later dismissed her father when he tried to reach out to her, proved that she has a lot of growing up to do, and it saddened me to see the stricken look on Harold’s face as he realized that something special had been lost between him and his daughter, at least temporarily.
Amy was in fantasy-mode throughout this entire episode. Such brilliant acting all around.

Quote:
I was really disappointed in the actions of the Harts as they, along with Colin, refused to heed Andy’s advice that he needed to get further tests for his condition, and I found it unbelievable that they didn’t want to send Colin away for testing that could better pinpoint his condition, but that they would basically ship off Laynie to boarding school again while they all lived in denial. I could understand Colin’s desire to hide his illness and pretend that he’s better than he really is, because I feel that it’s human nature to want to do that, because he just wants to feel better and resume his normal life, but his parents should know better, and their refusal to face reality could have dire consequences for their son. I think that the Harts were very foolish to dismiss Andy and ignore his concerns for Colin’s health, and I thought that Andy was absolutely right when he told them that they don’t want to deal with the severity of Colin’s condition, a statement that was later echoed by the departing Laynie when she told Colin that he was sick, and that no one wanted to deal with it, and we know that all this came to a head in future episodes in Season One.

Overall, I thought that this was one of the best episodes of Everwood that I’ve ever seen.
I do not understand the Harts at all. They have the world at their fingertips basically. A famous, talented neurosurgeon appears practically out of thin air to operate and ultimately save their son's life and now... they want to refuse his close follow-up of Colin? It makes zero sense. Mr. Hart said Andy is a surgeon, looking for problems, not a regular doctor. Not true. He has been in family doctor mode all season and basically stopped being a surgeon minus operating on their son! Plus, Andy was not remotely looking for problems as in being excited. BS. A normal mother would jump at the chance to do instant testing at the hands of a neurosurgeon who wanted to follow up on Colin's nausea and vomiting. Instead, she downplays it, refuses, ultimately firing Andy. This makes zero sense. They are idiots who basically abandoned their daughter as well. I am really glad we never got to see them after Colin's passing. We did deserve to see Laynie. She should have been the one walking out of the fire her stupid parents created for her, survived and received a good life around people who cared about her.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-11-2021 at 08:58 AM
Old 05-11-2021, 12:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
It is interesting to see how this episode focuses solely on Ephram and what he sees. I love this because you can better understand why Ephram feels the way that he does towards Andy. I mean, this episode clearly shows how Julia technically succeeded where Andy failed. We get to view the dynamic between Julia/Ephram very clearly. This episode really puts it all together. The most powerful aspect, in my opinion, is how Andy is never seen in the flashbacks. His voice is there but that is it.
I love those flashbacks! Julia was an amazing mom, and Ephram is a completely different person when he is with her. The contrast was so evident when there was a knock on Ephram's door or when he was buying a suit....such a different in the way that Ephram reacted when Andy was involved. Poor Andy.

Quote:
There's a couple moments in the Colin storyline that I cry and this episode is one of them. Devastating. It's not just the fact that we see him throwing up, but also what it means long-term. He is clearly not going to make it. I honestly knew he was going to die after this scene without remotely being spoiled. I knew it. Felt a sadness from the moment he woke up after surgery and there were hints throughout he was never going to survive, but after this episode it is 100% clear his fate is not a good one.
This episode was the beginning of the downward spiral of Colin...both physically and psychologically. This is when Colin began to become a huge Prick!

Quote:
I absolutely despise how Mrs. Hart treated Laynie when she entered the room after Andy arrived. Laynie was thrown away in the garbage, like she was trash. In my mind, it’s a form of abuse and neglect.
That was disgusting!! Mrs. Hart treated Laynie like she was a fly in the room that needed to be swatted away. Poor girl.

Quote:
Ephram and Delia rule. Awe. Delia really helps bring out the best of Ephram, and him at his most mature. I really wish we would have received more scenes between these two throughout the series. We really needed this.
These two are so adorable together...especially season one. Unfortunately it was not the same in later seasons.

Quote:
- Ephram certainly has numerous types of women since the lead singer of No Doubt (heh) and Amy Abbott couldn't be more different.
I was happy to see that Ephram had girls interested in him in NYC. Why not...I believe he was a huge catch! And Ephram in a suit......

Quote:
- Laynie leaving again is so sad. She’s intuitive. Just like she knew Ephram had feelings for Amy, she also understands Colin is very sick and a good ending is not in the cards. Her parents suck for how they treat her and live in denial over Colin’s situation.
There is no reason for Laynie to stay in that house. She is not in denial about Colin and wants to spare herself seeing what is going to happen to him. And why would she stay in that home where no one pays any attention to her. I hate that!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)

I also can understand a parent not wanted to believe the worse about their child. But...getting annoyed because the doctor makes a house call? Mrs. Hart was so rude to Andy when he came over just wanting to know how Colin was feeling. Colin was no better...I understand his frustration about feeling lousy and needing more tests but here is a doctor that saved your life! Show some courtesy! I guess he is following his parents example. The fact that the Harts actually fired Andy was incredible and practically pushed him out the door!! So incredibly rude!
Old 05-11-2021, 12:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa (View Post)
Amy has really been annoying me lately. Shes worried for Colin, goes to her dad and when he alerts Colin's family she FREAKS OUT on him??? WHATTTTT Makes no sense. Amy do you want to close your eyes and pretend Colin is okay?? God, that was dumb. She was being such a brat with the family. Good for Rose telling her to go to her damn room lol. Her obsession with him in unhealthy and weird! I loved later when Harold told her he wasnt sorry. Good for him. .
I found Amy annoying this episode as well. I don't agree with her fury regarding her dad talking to Andy about Colin. She was concerned about Colin, so why not be happy that her dad and Andy were just as concerned and were being thorough?
Colin's reaction was the beginning of things to come. This was the beginning of a behavior was was filled with unreasonable anger and violence. H
Old 05-11-2021, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I found Amy annoying this episode as well. I don't agree with her fury regarding her dad talking to Andy about Colin. She was concerned about Colin, so why not be happy that her dad and Andy were just as concerned and were being thorough?
Colin's reaction was the beginning of things to come. This was the beginning of a behavior was was filled with unreasonable anger and violence. H
Great point. This was a preview of things to come with moods. Will escalate too as we know. Amy should have gotten mad at Colin, not Harold, for putting her in the position of not saying anything (which, he never said not to, not that she was required to follow his advice) and then getting mad when she did.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's hard watching what is happening to Colin. He really should have just died in the accident because his life has been pretty depressing since he came back.

Quote:
I am convinced Berlanti wanted us to despise them. It worked! They're idiots.
Ya'll just know they're republican... lmao

And I agree about Colin treating Amy like crap and her just putting up with it. Ridiculous.

Quote:
I was really disappointed in the actions of the Harts as they, along with Colin, refused to heed Andy’s advice that he needed to get further tests for his condition, and I found it unbelievable that they didn’t want to send Colin away for testing that could better pinpoint his condition, but that they would basically ship off Laynie to boarding school again while they all lived in denial.
I cant believe them. Honestly. They are so ridiculous and make me so angry.How can they possibly have doubts about Andy as a doctor after everything he did for them????
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I love those flashbacks! Julia was an amazing mom, and Ephram is a completely different person when he is with her. The contrast was so evident when there was a knock on Ephram's door or when he was buying a suit....such a different in the way that Ephram reacted when Andy was involved. Poor Andy.
Night and day.

Quote:
This episode was the beginning of the downward spiral of Colin...both physically and psychologically. This is when Colin began to become a huge Prick!

I was also grossed out seeing Amy and Colin kissing, lol.

But yes, this is the start of his downward spiral.

Quote:
That was disgusting!! Mrs. Hart treated Laynie like she was a fly in the room that needed to be swatted away. Poor girl.
It’s a form of abuse. I really wish this was followed up in a future storyline.

Quote:
These two are so adorable together...especially season one. Unfortunately it was not the same in later seasons.
We missed out. Greg and Vivien are so great together.

Quote:
I was happy to see that Ephram had girls interested in him in NYC. Why not...I believe he was a huge catch! And Ephram in a suit......

Yes, which is why I think it’s ridiculous he basically had Madison, the family babysitter, in S2. Dumb.

Quote:
There is no reason for Laynie to stay in that house. She is not in denial about Colin and wants to spare herself seeing what is going to happen to him. And why would she stay in that home where no one pays any attention to her. I hate that!
Agreed. Honestly, she successfully escaped the abuse and neglect.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)

I was also grossed out seeing Amy and Colin kissing, lol.
I was so grossed out by that as well! In fact...I actually fast forwarded it! Do you think that why he threw up?
Reply   Post New Thread