Old 04-24-2021, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.16 - My Funny Valentine

Rewatch Overview

My Funny Valentine

SUMMARY

Dr. Gretchen Trott returns to Everwood, forcing Andy to confront his possible feelings for her. In other romances around town, Edna and Irv find it difficult to adjust after Irv's heart-attack scare, while Harold and Rose fight after attending couples therapy. Meanwhile, Ephram asks Laynie out, partly to prove to Amy that he's moving on.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
February 10, 2003

WRITER
Vanessa Taylor

DIRECTOR
Michael Schultz

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 10:08 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

One of my favorite episodes of the series.

Vanessa Taylor is amazing. She knows how to write Ephram/Amy so beautifully. She is Berlanti, Part 2.

The opening scene is mind blowing. Irv's "the one" when it comes to the voice-over aspect of this series but hearing Andy Brown enter the voice-over at the start of this episode with the music so beautifully compelling was powerful stuff. You were sent a signal right away that this episode was going to shine and be one of the most important of the series. You could feel it.

Quote:
Andy: Don't you see? My heat beats only for you.
^^^ My heart beats faster hearing Andy utter that line. It is so moving and anyone who has been in love can feel this line deep within their Soul.

I absolutely adore Jane Krakowski in this role. She is outstanding as Gretchen. I love the acting and adore the chemistry between Jane and Tom. Honestly, it doesn't even matter to me if I am annoyed as far as character interaction and words exchanged, because I am taken in by the amazing chemistry between the actors and I can't stop laughing as a result.

Rose does seem a tiny bit out of character going to Gretchen. It really did seem like it was the character going with the storyline over the storyline fitting the character but it did bring the comedic aspect between the shrink and Harold so I will take it.

Awe, Ephram and Laynie, here we go! I love them in this episode! The "I hate Everwood contest" was the best! So much fun! That is what Ephram needed was FUN! I wish it would have continued in Season 1 and for sure, picked up again in Season 2 instead of Madison coming into the picture!

Jealous Amy when Ephram and Laynie walk into the house is priceless. LOL

Edna breaking down in the bathroom was so sad.

One of my favorite Ephram/Amy scenes of all time takes place in music class. Amy is seething with jealousy, it is so awesome. The best part about it is when Ephram realizes she is over the top jealous so he goes with it and makes her get even more annoyed and frustrated. Also, Amy gets back at him by forcing him to ask Laynie out. Her look of pleasure as he walks away is hilarious. They both are so into each other, they want to strangle each other. You. Feel. It. This is such a great scene, I could watch it a million times over and probably have over the years. Notice the song they are singing, too. I know it's in honor of Valentine's Day but of course the "I Love You" line is in there due to Ephram/Amy. Outstanding stuff. The chemistry between Greg/Emily is nothing short of sizzling.

The Andy/Gretchen stuff really does nothing for me as far as liking them together. I like their interaction but don’t support them romantically. I love watching Andy all nervous and uncomfortable dating at the dinner, though. He is still not over Julia which is so sweet and relatable. I appreciate the dynamic for Andy's benefit I guess as I can understand why they were drawn to each other. I think Andy needed this. He needed to see that even if he's not totally over Julia and never will be, it is okay to be interested in other women.

Irv faking that heart episode was horrible. I understand he was frustrated over Edna being so careful and serious about his condition but he had no right faking a heart attack. That was just terrible. I did love seeing Edna head to Harold's house for comfort though and appreciated the bonding between Harold/Irv and Rose/Edna. I wish both of these pairings would have done more together.

I love how Andy thought Ephram was going out with Amy on V-Day evening. It is these subtle moments that mean so much to what the story is trying to tell us.

Harold's napkin tucked in always cracks me up and never gets old. LOL

I absolutely adore the conversation at the ice rink between Amy and Laynie. I love how Laynie is shocked Ephram is single. I love Amy asking her what she likes about Ephram and Laynie's response is so awesome. Amy's expression shows her heart is bleeding because she has such deep feelings for Ephram. So moving.

Also... Emily's hair all wavy at the ice skating rink is absolutely gorgeous. Emily looks so devastating in those scenes. She looks so beautiful.

One of my favorite lines of all time from Harold:

Quote:
Harold: I've bored Rose since the day we met. I think she makes shopping lists in her head while I'm talking.
^^^ The BEST.

Ephram and Laynie are so cute! I love how Ephram falls and Laynie kisses him. So adorable. Jealous Amy looking on is fantastic. Bring it. Colin is no dummy. I feel sorry for him here. He figured it out, he knows something went on between Amy and Ephram. No matter how Amy tried to act, he was going to figure it out and I think Amy knew this which is why she acted so paranoid before this time. She knew no matter what he was going to get it. She didn't know how to handle it so she freaked out. Colin also said it right... the first kiss in the mine makes sense but the fact that it happened again on Thanksgiving is big. He knows it, Amy knows it. I do love what Amy said to Colin as far as what she went through during the time that he was in a coma. But the reality is Ephram and Amy have fallen for each other and now it's out in the open for good. I loved this huge fact.

Quote:
Colin to Amy: The only problem is, you haven't been able to take your eyes off him all night.
I love how Nina gives Andy advice about romance. It shows how much they are building something together. No doubt, Nina has feelings for Andy beyond friendship but she's still that amazing friend to him. It's really beautiful.

So awesome how Gretchen told Andy to write a letter to Julia. This was the best scene between Andy and Gretchen in the episode. It was perfect. We also figured out why Andy was narrating too. So Everwood. Everwood, classic Everwood, showing how the episode perfectly comes together.

More on Ephram/Laynie: Honestly, everyone knows how much I love Ephram/Amy so it means something when I totally would be on board with Laynie for that time period. Just look at how happy Ephram is. He's not like all smitten or anything but he's very happy and at peace being with Laynie. He finds her dry wit and personality very appealing, he finds her attractive. She is the perfect girl for him at this time. I really wish they would have even casually dated in Seasons 1/2. Imagine the back and forth dry wit and exchanges we would have received from them. They would have had so much fun together. He wouldn't have been pining for Amy and certainly wouldn't have been spastic, out of control, depressed and impregnating Madison either. Laynie would have made him have some carefree fun. It is just like Ephram told Andy... it was nice to just hang around a girl. That is what Ephram wanted and when he was being totally honest with Amy at the end of this episode, he meant it... he was glad that he could hang out with Laynie because she was fun and he had a great time.

Regarding Colin... I really think his anger over the Ephram situation is because Amy has been lying to him up to this point and he knows it and he's tired of it. Because like he said, a month ago he didn't even "know" her and he wouldn't have been upset if she had just been honest with him. But now he does know her, and he likes her, and she's pretending to still be in love with him when they both know she isn't. I am the biggest Amy fan on the planet but outside of her looks, was it her paranoia and intensity while he's trying to heal that he was attracted to? This version of Colin is not that shallow to only like her for her looks yet I cannot see why he would suddenly fall for her given her scattered behavior up until this point. I guess her loyalty and dedication is something. I really do think if Amy would have told Colin about Ephram from the start he would have understood. He didn’t even remember anything. He can’t be hurt by what he doesn’t remember. Plus, if he did remember he would have known he wanted to break up with her right before the accident.

Last Ephram/Amy ice skating scene gives me a flushed feeling. Awe! So adorable! And of course, it is Amy who teaches Ephram how to skate. I love how they are touching and hanging onto each other. Man, their chemistry is just... off the charts fantastic. They are so adorable, so, so adorable. The music is so timed and programmed to create magic the second they decide Amy will teach him how to skate. It's just so perfect and pure magic. Greg/Emily, thank you for bringing to life my favorite couple of all time in Ephram/Amy.

This episode is one of a kind. Thanks, Taylor.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-25-2021 at 02:34 PM
Old 04-25-2021, 05:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts.....

Such beautiful scenery....Edna & Irv bird watching and cross country skiing in so much splendor.....what could be more exquisite?
Poor Irv! Poor Edna! How scary! How does one get help in such a remote location?

I'd rather piss like a racehorse than have another heart attack. Calm down, Irv, and cooperate!

Harold and that parking space! An endless source of humor!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Rose,,,you are being ridiculous!! You have a loving husband who brings you roses and Swiss chocolates and he adores you. Stop looking for trouble and complaining!!

Love the adorable Ephram/Laynie post office exchange. They match so perfectly and I hate to say that at this point seem to be more compatible than Ephram and Amy.
I wish we didn't lose Laynie!

That's the ugliest plant I have ever seen! Does Carl actually believe that plant can replace his presence? Well...it is better looking. LOL

Dr. Trott really has the hots for Andy. Who can blame her?

I don't really like the way that Amy said when Ephram and Laynie entered the house..."What are you doing here?" I know he makes her uncomfortable...but...

How annoying can a chorus instructor be? Enthusiasm overload! Does Ephram actually sing a note? Amy is trying a little too hard to fix up Ephram with Laynie. What are her motives?

Can Gretchen be any more obvious? Poor Andy is like a 15 year old on his first date!

I love all of the Laynie/Ephram exchanges. "What are you doing?" "Can you be more specific?" She really likes you, Ephram. She's in.

You think Andy was a little uncomfortable? What was your first clue? That was unprofessional, Gretchen.

Irv!! How cruel was that?!? Who does that?!? Not at all funny.

Somehow I knew that Andy would drop in on Gretchen He is so sad and lonely.

I just love the Laynie/Amy exchange...and how she described Ephram. That's exactly how Amy feels about Ephram, but hearing it from someone else solidifies it in her mind. It's tough seeing him with another girl even if she helped arrange it. Amy is so jealous and I am loving it!

I know I've said it before, but I still don't understand how or believe that Ephram has never learned to skate.

Take a break, Irv! You just had a heart attack. Sex can wait for awhile!

Looks like Harold remembered their song. A pencil stub? I'd rather have the chocolates. lol

Andy had to leave Gretchen. It's pretty understandable considering he has 2 kids and needed to get home to them. Was he expected to spend the night?

Colin is actually acting reasonable. I kind of liked him this episode.

Hey...I sometimes take Metamucil. Don't knock it!

Oh well...Andy's office is officially baptized.

Gretchen's advice to Andy about writing Julia a letter is so perfect. Andy has so much guilt and needs to find a way to release it. I know that Julia is reading that letter.

Such a sweet ending for Amy and Ephram on the ice.

Blake Neely's music throughout the episode is so beautiful...just love it. It's so Everwood.

Wonderful Episode!!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 04-25-2021 at 09:41 AM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)

Ephram and Laynie are so cute! I love how Ephram falls and Laynie kisses him. So adorable. Jealous Amy looking on is fantastic. Bring it. Colin is no dummy. I feel sorry for him here. He figured it out, he knows something went on between Amy and Ephram. No matter how Amy tried to act, he was going to figure it out and I think Amy knew this which is why she acted so paranoid before this time. She knew no matter what he was going to get it. She didn't know how to handle it so she freaked out. Colin also said it right... the first kiss in the mine makes sense but the fact that it happened again on Thanksgiving is big. He knows it, Amy knows it. I do love what Amy said to Colin as far as what she went through during the time that he was in a coma. But the reality is Ephram and Amy have fallen for each other and now it's out in the open for good. I loved this huge fact.
Ephram is so comfortable with Laynie...they are the same in personality and humor. Ephram is himself with her. If Laynie had stayed on the show and continued to date Ephram....I really believe there would have been a huge Ephram/Laynie following who would have opposed an Ephram/Amy following.

What do you think?

Quote:
More on Ephram/Laynie: Honestly, you know how much I love Ephram/Amy so it means something when I totally would be on board with Laynie for that time period. Just look at how happy Ephram is. He's not like all smitten or anything but he's very happy and at peace being with Laynie. He finds her dry wit and personality very appealing, he finds her attractive. She is the perfect girl for him at this time. I really wish they would have even casually dated in Seasons 1/2. Imagine the back and forth dry wit and exchanges we would have received from them. They would have had so much fun together. He wouldn't have been pining for Amy and certainly wouldn't have been spastic, out of control, depressed and impregnating Madison either. Laynie would have made him have some carefree fun. It is just like Ephram told Andy... it was nice to just hang around a girl. That is what Ephram wanted and when he was being totally honest with Amy at the end of this episode, he meant it... he was glad that he could hang out with Laynie because she was fun and he had a great time.
Yes....I enjoyed watching the two of them together. No angst...such fun. Ephram realized that Laynie liked him and he wasn't sure how much he liked her, but he enjoyed her company and might have developed a stronger attraction to her if they continued dating and if Amy continued to give him the cold shoulder. We will never know.

Quote:
Regarding Colin... I really think his anger over the Ephram situation is because Amy has been lying to him up to this point and he knows it and he's tired of it. Because like he said, a month ago he didn't even "know" her and he wouldn't have been upset if she had just been honest with him. But now he does know her, and he likes her, and she's pretending to still be in love with him when they both know she isn't. I am the biggest Amy fan on the planet but outside of her looks, was it her paranoia and intensity while he's trying to heal that he was attracted to? This version of Colin is not that shallow to only like her for her looks yet I cannot see why he would suddenly fall for her given her scattered behavior up until this point. I guess her loyalty and dedication is something. I really do think if Amy would have told Colin about Ephram from the start he would have understood. He didn’t even remember anything. He can’t be hurt by what he doesn’t remember. Plus, if he did remember he would have known he wanted to break up with her right before the accident.
I felt sorry for Colin this episode. He realized that Amy and Ephram had a "thing" and was still nice to Ephram because he understood. I also felt so sorry for him sitting next to Amy while she couldn't stop looking at Ephram and Laynie. Embarrassing for Colin and so obvious.
I really don't understand why Colin liked this Amy. I guess he was needy and Amy was there...still very pretty....but also so devoted. Colin needed that more than ever.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-25-2021 at 09:19 AM
Old 04-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
My thoughts.....

Such beautiful scenery....Edna & Irv bird watching and cross country skiing in so much splendor.....what could be more exquisite?
Poor Irv! Poor Edna! How scary! How does one get help in such a remote location?
The scenery is so gorgeous.

Good question. For as beautiful as this area is, it is remote and getting help has to be tough. Especially when phones weren't consistently in everyone's pockets back then either.

Quote:
I'd rather piss like a racehorse than have another heart attack. Calm down, Irv, and cooperate!

Quote:
Harold and that parking space! An endless source of humor!
It never goes away.

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Rose,,,you are being ridiculous!! You have a loving husband who brings you roses and Swiss chocolates and he adores you. Stop looking for trouble and complaining!!
I agree. Did you think she was written slightly out of character in this one?

Quote:
Love the adorable Ephram/Laynie post office exchange. They match so perfectly and I hate to say that at this point seem to be more compatible than Ephram and Amy.
I wish we didn't lose Laynie!
Agreed. I wish Ephram had spent way more time with Laynie.

Quote:
That's the ugliest plant I have ever seen! Does Carl actually believe that plant can replace his presence? Well...it is better looking. LOL

Quote:
Dr. Trott really has the hots for Andy. Who can blame her?
Agreed. I can see why she's drawn to him.

Quote:
I don't really like the way that Amy said when Ephram and Laynie entered the house..."What are you doing here?" I know he makes her uncomfortable...but...
It was rude. She was so jealous though, I love seeing jealous Amy. She's borderline unhinged.

Quote:
How annoying can a chorus instructor be? Enthusiasm overload! Does Ephram actually sing a note? Amy is trying a little too hard to fix up Ephram with Laynie. What are her motives?

Her motives are to prove to Ephram and herself that she's not remotely jealous when she's very upset.

Quote:
Can Gretchen be any more obvious? Poor Andy is like a 15 year old on his first date!
I love your comments.

Quote:
I love all of the Laynie/Ephram exchanges. "What are you doing?" "Can you be more specific?" She really likes you, Ephram. She's in.
I've always loved how Nora utters that specific line. It's so funny. LOL.

Quote:
You think Andy was a little uncomfortable? What was your first clue? That was unprofessional, Gretchen.

Quote:
Irv!! How cruel was that?!? Who does that?!? Not at all funny.
This was Irv's worst moment of the series. Terrible. What's also sad is knowing he passes very tragically in the future, very quickly.

Quote:
Somehow I knew that Andy would drop in on Gretchen He is so sad and lonely.
He is, indeed.

Quote:
I just love the Laynie/Amy exchange...and how she described Ephram. That's exactly how Amy feels about Ephram, but hearing it from someone else solidifies it in her mind. It's tough seeing him with another girl even if she helped arrange it. Amy is so jealous and I am loving it!
Me too. I love jealous Amy and at this time, she deserved to feel this way. You are right, everything Laynie said is exactly how Amy feels about Ephram. She was so upset hearing this from a friend in Laynie.

Quote:
I know I've said it before, but I still don't understand how or believe that Ephram has never learned to skate.
Right? He had the best skating rink in the world in NYC but doesn't know how to skate and doesn't dress right for cold weather either.

Quote:
Take a break, Irv! You just had a heart attack. Sex can wait for awhile!

Quote:
Looks like Harold remembered their song. A pencil stub? I'd rather have the chocolates. lol

Quote:
Andy had to leave Gretchen. It's pretty understandable considering he has 2 kids and needed to get home to them. Was he expected to spend the night?
Wondering the same.

Quote:
Colin is actually acting reasonable. I kind of liked him this episode.
Me too.

Quote:
Hey...I sometimes take Metamucil. Don't knock it!

Quote:
Oh well...Andy's office is officially baptized.
You are so funny in this review.

Quote:
Gretchen's advice to Andy about writing Julia a letter is so perfect. Andy has so much guilt and needs to find a way to release it. I know that Julia is reading that letter.

Quote:
Such a sweet ending for Amy and Ephram on the ice.
You just knew it would be those two on the ice together in this one.

Quote:
Blake Neely's music throughout the episode is so beautiful...just love it. It's so Everwood.

Wonderful Episode!!
Agreed. His music is a character in this episode. The music is so meaningful, tells its own story and is so profound.

This episode might even be my favorite Everwood episode of all time or it's close. It's so perfect.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Ephram is so comfortable with Laynie...they are the same in personality and humor. Ephram is himself with her. If Laynie had stayed on the show and continued to date Ephram....I really believe there would have been a huge Ephram/Laynie following who would have opposed an Ephram/Amy following.

What do you think?
I totally agree.

Even with what little we actually got with Ephram/Laynie, they had a huge fanbase. I remember how many people loved them. Yes, many were also Ephram/Amy fans but some were strictly Ephram/Laynie fans extremely disappointed they never had a real chance.

Quote:
Yes....I enjoyed watching the two of them together. No angst...such fun. Ephram realized that Laynie liked him and he wasn't sure how much he liked her, but he enjoyed her company and might have developed a stronger attraction to her if they continued dating and if Amy continued to give him the cold shoulder. We will never know.
It’s unfortunate we will never know. Even this early on I always knew it was going to be Ephram and Amy in the end, so I was fine with exploring Ephram and Laynie more. It sure would have been better than Ephram/Madison.

Quote:
I felt sorry for Colin this episode. He realized that Amy and Ephram had a "thing" and was still nice to Ephram because he understood. I also felt so sorry for him sitting next to Amy while she couldn't stop looking at Ephram and Laynie. Embarrassing for Colin and so obvious.
I really don't understand why Colin liked this Amy. I guess he was needy and Amy was there...still very pretty....but also so devoted. Colin needed that more than ever.
Agreed. It’s really sad when you think about it. I remember on a different rewatch someone mentioned just how sad the story truly is for Colin. He suffers a major brain injury. His life is basically taken away from him at that point. But he survives for just a while longer. He’s thrown into a world he’s expected to get to know again and very quickly. He can’t. He really never recaptures any of his close dynamics, especially with Bright. He ends up going downhill fast and dies for good very tragically. Really, the only good moment he had before he passed away was when the three of them (Amy/Colin/Bright) went on that little road trip together. That’s the only real moment he had and even then he was basically saying goodbye and deep down he knew it.

You really do question if he was better off never surviving the initial accident and coming out of the coma.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
You are so funny in this review.
Happy to entertain.

Quote:
I agree. Did you think she was written slightly out of character in this one?
She was definitely written out of character. They purposely made her petty and ridiculous for the sake of the storyline. She would not normally act that way.

Quote:
Agreed. It’s really sad when you think about it. I remember on a different rewatch someone mentioned just how sad the story truly is for Colin. He suffers a major brain injury. His life is basically taken away from him at that point. But he survives for just a while longer. He’s thrown into a world he’s expected to get to know again and very quickly. He can’t. He really never recaptures any of his close dynamics, especially with Bright. He ends up going downhill fast and dies for good very tragically. Really, the only good moment he had before he passed away was when the three of them (Amy/Colin/Bright) went on that little road trip together. That’s the only real moment he had and even then he was basically saying goodbye and deep down he knew it.
The whole thing really is heartbreaking for Colin. I have to say that I have never had much use for Colin, but this time around rewatching the episodes I have more of an open mind and am really seeing Colin's situation more clearly and am feeling much more sympathetic. I will say that I still am not going to condone some of the behavior he is going to inflict on Ephram in the future! But right now....I am giving Colin the benefit of the doubt.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Happy to entertain.

Quote:
She was definitely written out of character. They purposely made her petty and ridiculous for the sake of the storyline. She would not normally act that way.
Exactly right. Rose has always been the calm one of the two. Like you said, she came off petty and ridiculous. It really did seem like the storyline changed the character temporarily. I like this episode overall but this is my biggest flaw. I appreciate the hilarious interaction between Harold and Gretchen but wish the writing would have been constructed a different way to get in the fun comedy without sacrificing Rose.

Quote:
The whole thing really is heartbreaking for Colin. I have to say that I have never had much use for Colin, but this time around rewatching the episodes I have more of an open mind and am really seeing Colin's situation more clearly and am feeling much more sympathetic. I will say that I still am not going to condone some of the behavior he is going to inflict on Ephram in the future! But right now....I am giving Colin the benefit of the doubt.
100% with you. I hate to admit it but even if we’re discussing this and we do feel more for him during this rewatch it is still more about the story in general. I’ll never like pre-accident or violent versions of Colin. I feel for him right now because it’s not really Colin and sadly fate is pulling him towards his passing very soon which is really heartbreaking. But overall, still not a fan of Colin.

Amy should have told him about Ephram earlier and not allowed him to inevitably find out the way that he did. Like I mentioned and have discussed earlier with Alexa... telling Colin early on was a good option Amy never considered. In this episode we’re seeing Colin even confirm this. He was so right about the mine kiss. I don’t think a kiss is ever a fluke in general but given the circumstances one could argue Amy went there due to emotionally feeling sad and vulnerable. The real test was the second one. The Thanksgiving kiss was not a fluke and 100% confirms there’s something romantic between Ephram and Amy. Colin knew it. He really should have found out sooner.

At the same time, and I keep bringing this up like I’m insane, LOL… I still feel like Amy should have found out before the accident Colin was done with the relationship and planning on breaking up with her. Do you agree? I cannot stand that she never found out even if she realized on her own what she had with Colin was more like a big bird type of relationship, fantasy, immature, not real. She figured all of that out but at the same time never found out officially he was breaking up with her and the relationship was over before the accident. It might’ve saved her from diving dark into depression.

Laynie tells Ephram in the very next episode about this. Do you think Laynie or Ephram should have told Amy and if so, when?

Last edited by jediwands; 04-25-2021 at 03:04 PM
Old 04-25-2021, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Laynie tells Ephram in the very next episode about this. Do you think Laynie or Ephram should have told Amy and if so, when?
I don't think telling Amy now is the right thing to do. She will feel so badly that she wasted so much time pining for him, nursing him, and fantasizing about their great love.

The best time for her to be told this was while they were still dating...pre-accident. It would have hurt, but not as much as it would hurt now. Hearing that news now would be a double loss for Amy...having him die and realizing that he really didn't love her.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don't think telling Amy now is the right thing to do. She will feel so badly that she wasted so much time pining for him, nursing him, and fantasizing about their great love.

The best time for her to be told this was while they were still dating...pre-accident. It would have hurt, but not as much as it would hurt now. Hearing that news now would be a double loss for Amy...having him die and realizing that he really didn't love her.
Very true. I agree. What about Laynie telling her when Colin was in a coma?
Old 04-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Very true. I agree. What about Laynie telling her when Colin was in a coma?
Yeah, that might have been better. If that had happened Amy would have been more willing to get involved with Ephram. I don't think the writers wanted that to happen too soon. Colin was needed to delay the inevitable.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yeah, that might have been better. If that had happened Amy would have been more willing to get involved with Ephram. I don't think the writers wanted that to happen too soon. Colin was needed to delay the inevitable.
Exactly right. Never would have happened. I just hate that she never found out at any point. At least Ephram knew since he understood they were not this destined romantic relationship very early on.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I mentioned in my review... the best line of the amazing episode for me is in Andy's narration..

Quote:
NARRATOR: Don't you see? My heart beats only for you.
The line could sound cheesy on its own but it's how Treat delivers the line. I always feel flushed for a second after hearing that line whether I'm watching it for the first time or 20th time. Just love it. Like I said, anyone who has been in love can feel this line deep within their Soul.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-25-2021 at 06:13 PM
Old 04-25-2021, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Still can’t get over this... my mind spins and cannot stop...

I will say it... Shut up, Rose. A dozen long stemmed roses, a beautiful dinner, and imported chocolates on V-Day is nothing to complain about, even if it is predictable. I don’t even like flowers (I think they’re a waste of money lol) but how nice of Harold. Who cares if it’s predictable, it is thoughtful, sweet and caring. Harold heading over to join Irv in "the doghouse" is freaken hilarious though, so I’ll try to let it go, lol.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was an absolutely incredible episode, as it dealt with all the many facets of love on the day which is dedicated to love: Valentine’s Day. Love can mean so many things, and Valentine’s Day can evoke so many emotions in people, and this episode perfectly highlighted all the conflicting emotions that people who are in love, or people who have loved and lost, can have. For some people, Valentine’s Day can be the loneliest time of the year, and we really got to see almost every character deal with this holiday in very different ways.

The opening scene with Irv and Edna was both touching and shocking, as we got to see the deep affection and love that they have for one another, but the scene ended on a truly frightening note, as Irv had a mild heart attack, and he and Edna came face to face with the prospect of their own mortality. I was really moved when Edna broke down after she got Irv home, as it’s such a devastating thing to realize that there’s going to come a day when you may lose the person you love, and this “event” really brought that concept home to Edna. I did think that it was foolishly insensitive of Irv to fake another heart attack when he later argued with Edna, but I did understand his point that he didn’t want to be treated like an invalid. Still though, as Edna related so poignantly to Irv, she did see her last husband die right before her eyes, and she saw Irv collapse in front of her on their hike, and she didn’t want to have to go through something like that again, but Irv was right when he said that they should spend their life the way that want to and not waste it worrying how it was going to leave them and when, and I was glad that Edna listened to his advice and “christened her office” with him.

I really enjoyed the “male bonding” session between Harold and Irv, as they spent time together in “the doghouse,” and it was great how they juxtaposed their conversation about “women” with Rose and Edna’s conversation about “men.”

As always, Harold was hilarious when he saw Rose sign them up for “couple therapy,” after he had sneeringly put down Gretchen and her practice once again, and he certainly put his foot in his mouth when he said that Rose was like a broken record! I could definitely relate to some of the things he was saying though, because I’ve been married a long time, and I definitely did more of the “sweet little things” that Rose alluded to for my wife when we were dating, and things do change when you’ve been together for a long time and you do get into a certain routine. Still, though, you know that deep down, Harold loves Rose and he certainly proved it by hiring an entire brass band to serenade her with their favorite love song! Ah, romance! Gee, I wonder how much a brass band costs?

I really saw this episode as a watershed in the nascent love triangle between Amy, Ephram, and Colin, as Amy was forced to face her feelings for both Colin and Ephram, as she reacted in a jealous way to the budding romance between Ephram and Laynie, a reaction not unnoticed by Colin, who confronted her in a honest and gentle way about what had gone on between her and Ephram during his absence. I simply loved his honesty with her, when he put his feelings on the line in a direct but absolutely sincere way, when he said: “Think about what you want. I know what I want, Amy, I want you. But you know, that shouldn’t be enough for you. You have to want me too. This me. I don’t expect you to have an answer for me right now, it’s okay. I’ll wait for you. You waited long enough for me.” That’s what makes this love triangle so great, because at that point Colin and Ephram were both wonderful guys, each in their own way, and you can really empathize with what Amy was going through at that point. I was very happy that Amy was honest with Colin about what had gone on between her and Ephram, and I felt for her when she told him how difficult it was for her all those months when he was in a coma, and how Ephram was the only person there for her to offer her an empathetic ear, and I was so happy with Colin’s very understanding response to her.

I really enjoyed watching Ephram ask Laynie out, and I could relate to not knowing what to say in that situation, and I thought they were really cute together on their date, but I especially enjoyed seeing Amy’s jealous reaction to seeing them having a great time together, and you could practically see the steam coming out of her ears when Laynie told her about what a great guy he was! She also couldn’t tell Laynie her own feelings about Ephram when she asked her for the “4-1-1” on him, so we got to see the first appearance of Jealous!Amy on the show, and I loved seeing her so jealous as she watched Ephram and Laynie together having fun and she saw Laynie kiss Ephram. I thought that Ephram and Laynie really hit it off, and I wish that their budding friendship and romance wasn’t cut off so quickly, because I really liked them together, and if Ephram and Laynie couldn’t be a romantic couple, I would have liked to have at least seen them be friends, especially in Season Two when Amy was so depressed over Colin’s death, rather than see him hook up with Madison.

Once again, I thought that Treat Williams did an incredible job of depicting a man who’s weighed down by feelings of guilt and regret towards the way he had treated his beloved and sorely missed wife, and a holiday like Valentine’s Day obviously brought all those feelings to the surface. I thought that Andy’s nervousness with Gretchen was funny and touching, and it echoed Ephram’s nervousness with asking out Laynie. I was glad that Gretchen was upfront with Andy as she told him that she had thought about him while she was away, and I was disappointed in his initial response to her when he said that he didn’t think of her the way she was thinking about him, but I was happy that he was honest with her later, but obviously things spiraled between them to a point that he wasn’t ready to handle yet, and he left. I was glad that he told Nina about what had happened, and I was glad that he took her advice, and he went and apologized to Gretchen, who, it turns out, also wasn’t ready for a serious relationship. I thought that Gretchen’s final words of advice to Andy that he should write a letter to Julia, expressing all the unvoiced thoughts that he had about her, and the love that he had for her, and that there was a beautiful world out there, and that it’s happening right now, were sincere and true, and I was moved to tears when Andy actually sat down and wrote his feelings to Julia.

Wow, what a fantastic episode. I can’t say enough good things about it, and about this wonderful show, and I’m really looking forward to the next one.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread