Old 02-27-2021, 11:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 1.08 - Till Death Do Us Part

Rewatch Overview

Till Death Do Us Part

SUMMARY

As his wedding anniversary draws near, Andy loses all hope and questions whether he will ever feel his life is worth living again. Meanwhile, Ephram and Amy share their first kiss while on a field trip; and Dr. Abbott has a panic attack when his wife Rose proposes they take salsa dancing lessons. Andy also helps a couple whose marital problems are caused by hives. Colin finally wakes up but doesn't seem to recognize Amy.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
November 4, 2002

WRITER
Oliver Goldstick

DIRECTOR
Michael Schultz

Last edited by jediwands; 01-13-2023 at 09:59 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I love the cute exchange between Andy and Delia and hats having team names on them. Andy is not a perfect father, but I loved how he allowed Ephram's purple hair and Delia's hats without one ounce of judgment. He simply allowed his children to express themselves in this way. As we see, Ephram got rid of the purple hair when he was ready to get rid of his purple hair. Delia's hats are showing her tomboyish side. Bottom line, Andy gave his children freedom in this way and I found it great.

I love how Nina is over at the Brown's like it's totally normal and... meant to be. Nina knows when Andy offers to take them to school soon it’s not happening. LOL. I also love when Delia covers her face in church as the people in front of them overhear Andy. LOL.

This episode always reminds me of my extended family. My maternal Grandfather and other relatives worked in the mines in Western Pennsylvania before moving to Cleveland.

Ephram is so perceptive and sweet knowing Andy will have issues with his anniversary. So nice of him. You can see how far they have already come given Ephram's concern for Andy throughout the entire episode.

Oh man, Mrs. Keyes is a moron. Yuck. At the time, or around the time this episode aired, the actress was on The OC and played a similar character.

I liked Amy sticking up for Wendell in class. Kayla is so stuck up. However, you can see how Amy is an outsider in her very own popular group. She is there but not totally there. Yes, she's distracted over Colin but it's more than that because we’ve seen in previous Season 1 episodes (as well as throughout the rest of the series) how she doesn't give a crap half the time about these people. Amy was in that group, along with Colin, yes, but Amy was also an outcast in a lot of ways within the group. Amy is certainly more extroverted than Ephram but she's also very internalized and definitely doesn't portray herself as the typical popular girl. Not even close.

I love how Andy and Harold have these meetings and lunches together. Harold still has his walls up but you can tell he is very intrigued by everything Andy has to say. Harold sharing about the dance class shows he is starting to open up to Andy.

So heartbreaking when Andy got the call about Julia's surprise trip for their anniversary. Treat did a phenomenal job with Andy’s nonverbal communication. My heart bled right with Andy’s heart.

Harold dancing and Louise catching him is about as good as it gets.

Classic Everwood to go from drama to comedy, back to drama and have it work to perfection. Andy receiving the phone call about the trip, then Harold dancing, back to Amy entering her daydream walking into the hospital and seeing Colin works so perfectly. The way this show goes back and forth is amazing. No other show can do this that I've ever seen... only Everwood.

Amy daydreaming over Colin telling her those words is so important to the entire story. It clearly demonstrates Amy wanting the fantasy yet it is so far from reality. It is very heartbreaking to watch. Not only is it physically impossible since Colin will never ultimately recover but Berlanti was also showing that Amy was in daydream-mode the entire time. The story is devastating. I feel for Amy so much.

You can feel the mixed up emotions and feelings running through Amy's heart and mind as they are in the mine and told there will be a delay.

When Ephram called Andy to tell him he was stuck and delayed in the mine... my heart starts to beat a little faster, it is so powerful, this scene. The acting and directing is the best. Andy puts down the knife he was using to cut the food he throws away, walks over to the side deep inside his painful thoughts, staring off into space, then walks over to the envelope with the tickets in it. He opens it up and is just stopped in time due to devastation over looking at the Italy destination, where they were on their honeymoon, and seeing Julia’s name on the paper. Treat, you deserved an Emmy based on this scene alone.

Notice throughout the entire episode Andy and Harold are having conversations over lunch, at the bar. It is a subtle way for Berlanti to show their friendship that is growing closer. As Andy tells Harold to go to Florence with Rose, you can see Harold feeling tense and nervous because he knows Andy is sharing his heart and Harold doesn't exactly know how to handle it. Harold cares about Andy but certainly does not know how to directly show it. This scene is so beautiful to me. Andy is trying to help Harold while sharing something that is hurting him, Harold is reciprocating in the best way he knows how. Just beautiful.

Awe Ephram to the rescue when those punks pulled that trick on Amy. Ephram is so nice and protective of Amy and the horrible situation she is going through. You see the parallel with Ephram feeling the loss of Julia just as much as Amy feels the loss of Colin. I also have a theory that deep down Amy knew even if Colin was waking up, he wasn't going to make it. I feel like this is why she is in such mourning right now. Her soul and heart understand the big picture. Things are not going to turn into a happy ending.

A comment though about those boys calling her with that prank... who are they? Amy is in the popular group at school so who are those guys and why would they not feel scared to go there? Well, number one because it's an evil thing to do but two, wouldn't they be scared that Bright or someone else would beat the crap out of them for going there? This scene seems very off to me.

The mine scene between Ephram and Amy...

This is where I feel this strong, emotional/spiritual connection between them... Ephram knew Amy was upset so he goes to find her, knowing full well he has to go with sarcastic, funny wit in order to make her smile. He instinctively knows he needs to make her feel better. He feels her pain without her even saying a word. He feels it and knows how to make it better. They sit there so in sync, so much chemistry between them, talking and supporting each other. Amy immediately talking about her pain, Ephram looking at her in the eyes the entire way through. Ephram almost knew Amy was going to meet his eyes. Ephram asking Amy what was going to happen once Colin woke up with Amy's beautiful response, saying those warm and loving things produces goosebumps. They are establishing through words this bond they have together that will go well past this moment in time. Amy didn't want Ephram to think for one second that they were parting in any way, not that he ever doubted it truly. Her words about him being her miracle is so beautiful. The kiss happened to show a "To Be continued" sort of thing. They both knew the kiss had to happen, but they also both knew it couldn't be properly dealt with at this point. Their eye contact is so amazing. Greg/Emily know how to do eye contact better than any other pairing I have seen. It's simply the best.

This scene with Andy in the church is one of the very best Everwood scenes ever created. It is... a perfect demonstration of why this show stands alone and you simply cannot compare any other show to it. Look at this scene... Treat would have received an Emmy had he been on any other network. Andy, breaking down in the church, pleading with God to bring his joy back. Andy is broken, he is just a shell, his heart is in a million pieces, the loneliness, the pain, the suffering has reached its peak for him. He can't take it anymore. He is lost and completely offering his entire Soul to God in order to be put back together, somehow, some way. This scene is a pure masterpiece. I cannot watch it without breaking down myself... like I just did.

Here we are at the bus scene when Amy is too freaked out to talk and sit with Ephram so she has Kayla sit next to her. Completely and totally understandable. This girl is going through so much. Her boyfriend she thought (in her fantasy but she feels is the reality consciously) is actively dying, not even awake yet, and she is going through the pain over this ongoing situation, as well as minutes before this, kissing another guy, Ephram, she knows she is falling for. I would have done the same, exact thing as Amy. Anyone who feels they would have happily offered Ephram a seat and acted just fine is either lying or doesn't feel romantically FOR Ephram. That is why she did this. She knew the kiss meant everything to her and that was too big of a reality for her to have to handle given everything that was going on around her. Ephram getting pissed finding out Colin woke up was also not the best behavior either. Both Ephram and Amy acted awkwardly due to extreme tension because of what the mine kiss meant and they both knew it. If you are a true fan of Ephram/Amy you cheered when Amy had Kayla sit next to her and you cheered when Ephram put on the music finding out Colin was conscious. You know without a doubt the mine kiss meant everything because they were both falling for each other.

I love how Harold listened to Andy's words and had a beautiful moment with Rose. That was lovely. What a terrific moment between Harold and Rose. You understood why they are together for the long haul.

Awe, soooooo nice of Ephram to give Andy that doctor's bag. Ephram knew the entire time Andy was having difficulty handling the anniversary situation. He knew it. How thoughtful of him to buy that for Andy. There you go, Andy, your joy is coming back, your joy is through your children, through Ephram right here. I loved Andy's expression once he finds out Delia had nothing to do with the gift.

Amy is so heartbroken and clueless when it comes to the Colin situation. Emily knocked it out of the park here. Amy breaking down in Harold's arms is such a powerful scene. She was waiting for this moment for how long, only to find out Colin has no idea who she is. What a horrible situation, I still cannot compute how someone her age was able to remotely cope given everything that was going on. I've said it before, her behavior in Season 2 is mild compared to what could have happened to her given all that she was going through.

I love how at the end of the episode, Harold accepts Andy's offer to share a table at the restaurant. That was a highly significant moment concerning the bigger picture. The Brown's and Abbott's were coming together, not just Ephram and Amy, not even just Andy and Harold, but the two families as a whole were growing closer. This was a huge sign the two most important dynamics of the show in Ephram/Amy and Andy/Harold were about to take off.

Andy’s monologue and the Reverend's monologue made me cry.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence Andy is mourning a wedding anniversary while Ephram/Amy share their first kiss. It’s almost like the passing of the torch.

Last edited by jediwands; 02-28-2021 at 01:23 AM
Old 02-28-2021, 12:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts on the episode......
  • Andy is so adorable! He has no idea what's going on in the Church's service. Reverend Keyes scratching vigorously....Andy: "Don't look at me. It wasn't in the program."
  • A really thoughtful moment from Ephram toward his dad regarding the Anniversary.
  • Mrs. Keye's is such a creep! What awful things she said...so disrespectful toward her husband and how embarrassing.
  • Kayla..Ugh..another creep! Tell her, Amy! Thank God Amy is not a mean girl. Wendell appreciates it!
  • I love seeing Andy and Harold discussing cases. They are so cute together.
  • Andy lit up when Mrs. Trott was mentioned.
  • Harold is hilarious...Salsa lessons. Uh Oh...Louise caught him! She's speechless.
  • It is so true that it's often the woman in a marriage who gives up stuff...not the man.
  • The Keyes need to divorce. I see no hope here. It's very very awkward being around these two.
  • Lots of mention of eating chicken.....hmmmmmm...
  • Amy always has a sweet smile on her face when Ephram talks to her.
  • Andy is having a really tough time today. What a beautiful thoughtful gift from Julia!
  • It seems that Harold and Andy always run into each other somewhere...in the diner...in a bar... Love these meetings...wisdom always ensues. Andy is giving Harold good advice this time for a change!
  • Chicken!! The puzzle is solved!
  • Ephram always has Amy's back....what a hero...confronting two guys so much bigger and stronger than him! I know I've mentioned it before, but I still can't get over the fact that these guys did this to Amy...one of the most popular girls in the school...the sister of Bright and girlfriend of Colin..the 2 most popular guys in the school. Makes no sense.
  • Ephram feels so insecure in his relationship with Amy after Colin wakes up. Amy reassured him in such a sweet way..calling him her miracle. What a beautiful first kiss...
  • Andy in the Church pouring out his heart to God. He is so devasted and lost...a shell of a man...with nothing...no joy. Treat is such a fantastic actor.
  • I hate that Amy didn't want to sit with Ephram on the bus...what the heck!?!
  • Poor Harold...he's also insecure about his relationship..feels he's out of his league. He shouldn't worry...he is Rose's Stick in the Mud. A great couple.
  • A present from Ephram...So beautiful! Love that he pretended it was Delia's idea.
  • I really wish Andy didn't give the Florence tickets to Mrs. Keyes, but to Harold and Rose instead.
  • Amy is expecting to pick up where she left off with Colin. So devastatingly disappointing for her.
  • I still don't like that Amy is snubbing Ephram...he doesn't deserve it and especially after she reassured him in the mine that this wouldn't happen. Not nice! At least Harold is willing to dine with the Browns! A nice development!
  • I hope the townspeople can help Andy get back his Joy.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-28-2021 at 01:12 PM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)

Ephram is so perceptive and sweet knowing Andy will have issues with his anniversary. So nice of him. You can see how far they have already come given Ephram's concern for Andy throughout the entire episode.
I loved this so much as well! Ephram really loves his father and has genuine feeling for him.

Quote:
Oh man, Mrs. Keyes is a moron. Yuck. At the time, or around the time this episode aired, the actress was on The OC and played a similar character.
I know!! Not your typical Reverend's wife.

Quote:
I liked Amy sticking up for Wendell in class. Kayla is so stuck up. However, you can see how Amy is an outsider in her very own popular group. She is there but not totally there. Yes, she's distracted over Colin but it's more than that because we’ve seen in previous Season 1 episodes (as well as throughout the rest of the series) how she doesn't give a crap half the time about these people. Amy was in that group, along with Colin, yes, but Amy was also an outcast in a lot of ways within the group. Amy is certainly more extroverted than Ephram but she's also very internalized and definitely doesn't portray herself as the typical popular girl. Not even close.
I have often wondered what Amy and Kayla's exchanges are on private about these things. Do they argue?

Quote:
I love how Andy and Harold have these meetings and lunches together. Harold still has his walls up but you can tell he is very intrigued by everything Andy has to say. Harold sharing about the dance class shows he is starting to open up to Andy.
You can see this episode that the two of them are getting closer and closer toward friendship.

Quote:
Harold dancing and Louise catching him is about as good as it gets.
I know!

Quote:
. Treat, you deserved an Emmy based on this scene alone.
He had so many Emmy deserving scenes in this episodes!

Quote:
Notice throughout the entire episode Andy and Harold are having conversations over lunch, at the bar. It is a subtle way for Berlanti to show their friendship that is growing closer. As Andy tells Harold to go to Florence with Rose, you can see Harold feeling tense and nervous because he knows Andy is sharing his heart and Harold doesn't exactly know how to handle it. Harold cares about Andy but certainly does not know how to directly show it. This scene is so beautiful to me. Andy is trying to help Harold while sharing something that is hurting him, Harold is reciprocating in the best way he knows how. Just beautiful.
I had the same thoughts!

Quote:
A comment though about those boys calling her with that prank... who are they? Amy is in the popular group at school so who are those guys and why would they not feel scared to go there? Well, number one because it's an evil thing to do but two, wouldn't they be scared that Bright or someone else would beat the crap out of them for going there? This scene seems very off to me.
As you can see....I had the same idea about this!

Quote:
Ephram asking Amy what was going to happen once Colin woke up with Amy's beautiful response, saying those warm and loving things produces goosebumps.
I loved that scene and that's why I don't understand the cold shoulder Amy is giving Ephram. Is she too scared of her feelings for him?
Quote:
This scene with Andy in the church is one of the very best Everwood scenes ever created. It is... a perfect demonstration of why this show stands alone and you simply cannot compare any other show to it. Look at this scene... Treat would have received an Emmy had he been on any other network. Andy, breaking down in the church, pleading with God to bring his joy back. Andy is broken, he is just a shell, his heart is in a million pieces, the loneliness, the pain, the suffering has reached its peak for him. He can't take it anymore. He is lost and completely offering his entire Soul to God in order to be put back together, somehow, some way. This scene is a pure masterpiece. I cannot watch it without breaking down myself... like I just did.
This scene is so so difficult to watch.

Quote:
Awe, soooooo nice of Ephram to give Andy that doctor's bag. Ephram knew the entire time Andy was having difficulty handling the anniversary situation. He knew it. How thoughtful of him to buy that for Andy. There you go, Andy, your joy is coming back, your joy is through your children, through Ephram right here. I loved Andy's expression once he finds out Delia had nothing to do with the gift.
I loved this as well...Andy realized how much Ephram cares for him.

Quote:

I love how at the end of the episode, Harold accepts Andy's offer to share a table at the restaurant. That was a highly significant moment concerning the bigger picture. The Brown's and Abbott's were coming together, not just Ephram and Amy, not even just Andy and Harold, but the two families as a whole were growing closer. This was a huge sign the two most important dynamics of the show in Ephram/Amy and Andy/Harold were about to take off.
I noticed that as well! What a breaking point moment..

Quote:
Andy’s monologue and the Reverend's monologue made me cry.
Beautiful and very very moving.

I wrote my thoughts before I read yours, Michelle. It appears that we share the same thoughts..
Old 02-28-2021, 05:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I loved this so much as well! Ephram really loves his father and has genuine feeling for him.

I know!! Not your typical Reverend's wife.

I have often wondered what Amy and Kayla's exchanges are on private about these things. Do they argue?

You can see this episode that the two of them are getting closer and closer toward friendship.

I know!

He had so many Emmy deserving scenes in this episodes!

I had the same thoughts!

As you can see....I had the same idea about this!

I loved that scene and that's why I don't understand the cold shoulder Amy is giving Ephram. Is she too scared of her feelings for him?

This scene is so so difficult to watch.

I loved this as well...Andy realized how much Ephram cares for him.

I noticed that as well! What a breaking point moment..

Beautiful and very very moving.

I wrote my thoughts before I read yours, Michelle. It appears that we share the same thoughts..
We do!

I just loved how sweet and caring Ephram was in this one. He was so kind to both Andy and Amy. He didn't want Andy to know he bought him that beautiful bag. He made his dad's year giving him that present.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was an incredible episode that brought me to tears several times as the themes of love and loss resonated throughout the episode, and a broken man pleaded with God to help him.

I liked the opening scene where Irv described why people go to church, and we got to meet Reverend Tom Keyes for the first time, and he would play an important part in Andy’s life in this episode and other episodes in this series.

I thought that it was hilarious in the church when Andy was describing the different parts of the service to Delia, and he said “Jesus, how long is this thing?” and Teresa walked by and said “He sounds like you!” It was funny seeing Delia, who was raised Jewish, struggle to sing “What a friend we have in Jesus,” but you have to give her credit for wanting to experience other religions.

I liked how Nina described the upcoming Hope service that Reverend Keyes would be having the following week, and she told him that the Reverend Keyes picks the person who exemplifies hope within the community.

I liked seeing Ephram’s concern about Andy’s upcoming wedding anniversary, and although Andy acted nonchalant about it initially, we saw that this event weighed heavily on his mind, because him and Julia had always done something special on their anniversary, and it was the only time they spent together as husband and wife without Andy’s job and workaholic lifestyle calling him away from her.

We really got to see the tension between the Reverend Keyes and his wife Sally in this episode and you could tell that they were going in different directions and they were very unhappily married as Andy tried to solve the mystery of why Tom would break out in hives whenever he and his wife were intimate.

My hate for Kayla reached a new intensity in this episode as she showed what a mean-spirited and judgmental snob she is as she called Ephram Dark Man and made fun of Wendell. It bewilders me why Amy continued to be friends with her at this point.

It was so heartbreaking to see Andy receive a phone call from a travel agent telling him about a surprise anniversary trip that Julia had arranged for them, and he couldn’t bring himself to tell the travel agent that Julia had passed away, and he simply gave her his new address.

The scene where Sally complained about her life with Tom to Andy was so emotionally loaded as she said that something inside her snapped and she wanted to live her life and feel her life, and when she asked Andy if he wanted to feel his life, the way he answered “sometimes” was so heartbreaking, and when she said that she bet that he didn’t take his wife for granted, he sadly answered “I wouldn’t take that bet,” and all his feelings of loss and regret came to the surface again.

It was comical to see Louise catch Harold trying to follow along with his dance lesson, and Harold’s embarrassment was hilarious.

It was so sad to see Amy fantasize about what Colin would say to her when he woke up, and she would soon be facing a harsh reality in this episode.

It was funny to see Rose try to convince a reluctant Harold to go to the dance class with her as she recounted all that she gives up for him, but Harold, as he himself recognized, was a stick-in-the mud who didn’t like change.

I didn’t like seeing the Reverend Keyes and his wife argue in front of Andy when he tried to tell them that he had figured out what was causing his allergic reaction, and he told them not to give up on their marriage, but it was obvious that their marriage was a lost cause.

I liked seeing Ephram’s concern for Andy as he called him and told him that he wouldn’t be home for dinner on the night of his parents’ wedding anniversary.

The scene where Andy opened up the Travel Package was so heartbreaking as he saw that Julia had arranged for them to go to Florence, where they had spent their honeymoon, as she wanted to mark this milestone anniversary by having them go to the place where everything had begun for them.

I loved the conversation between Harold and Andy as he talked about how he worked every Holiday with the exception of his anniversary, and that he was an idiot for doing so, and that Harold should take Rose to Florence.

I loved seeing the scene between Ephram and Amy in the mine, and I loved how Ephram attacked those guys who played a cruel trick on Amy, and you could tell that Amy was really moved by what he did. I loved it when Ephram told Amy not to give up hope, and he expressed his fears about him and Amy becoming strangers when Colin woke up, but Amy responded that he was the only one who had been there for her the whole time, and they shared a tender kiss, but Amy pulled away almost immediately, leaving Ephram alone to regret what he had done. In hindsight, we know that Amy was fighting her feelings for Ephram at this point but my heart broke for him in this scene and in other scenes in this episode as she continued to reject him.

The scene in the church where Andy, in his heartbreak and anguish called out to God and he said that all his dreams died with Julia, and although he was still functioning and doing the best he could, he had lost his joy, and he had nothing left, and he pleaded with God to please give him his joy back was so incredibly heartbreaking and emotionally powerful, and Treat Williams did an incredible job in showing how lost and alone Andy felt at that point.

I liked how Harold had a heart-to-heart talk with Rose as he showed a vulnerable side that we rarely saw with him as he expressed his fears about change and his fears that Rose would leave him, and I loved what Rose said to assure him that she would never leave him.

I loved it when Ephram gave Andy a gift for their anniversary, pretending that it was Delia’s idea, and it was obvious that he put a lot of thought into this gift as he gave him an old-fashioned and beautiful leather doctor’s satchel, befitting his new role as a country doctor.

I liked the final conversation between Andy and Mrs. Keyes as she told him that she had left her husband and she expressed her fears for the future, and he was so kind to give her the tickets to Florence that Julia had bought for them, telling her that Florence was where his life began., and expressing the hope that maybe she would find what she was looking for there too.

It was heartbreaking to see Amy talk to Colin and realize that he didn’t know who she was, as the nurse told her that he might have to start from scratch, and it was so sad to see her break down and cry in Harold’s arms.

I loved the final scene where the Reverend Keyes announced that he had lost his marriage, and he told his congregation that he had leaned on one of them as he reached a point of despair, and when he came to church to look for answers, he found a man that was more dispirited than he was, and he was crying out to our Lord and seeking comfort, but receiving none, and he implored the congregation to pour their love into his wounded heart, and he named Andy as the man who represents the value of hope.

I hated how Amy walked away from Ephram after church when he asked her about Colin, and to be honest, I had such mixed feelings about her in this episode because she was pretty heartless in this scene and on the bus.

Overall, I thought this was an incredibly emotional episode and I’m looking forward to the next one.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Great thoughts, you guys!

I’ll respond more later on today.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
My thoughts on the episode......
[*]Andy is so adorable! He has no idea what's going on in the Church's service. Reverend Keyes scratching vigorously....Andy: "Don't look at me. It wasn't in the program."
Delia wanting to shrink so no one could see her is golden.

Quote:
[*]A really thoughtful moment from Ephram toward his dad regarding the Anniversary.
Some of the best father/son interaction throughout the entire series takes place in this episode.

Quote:
[*]Mrs. Keye's is such a creep! What awful things she said...so disrespectful toward her husband and how embarrassing.
She was awful. I understand why Andy gave her the tickets to Italy but I don't think she deserved it.

Quote:
[*]Kayla..Ugh..another creep! Tell her, Amy! Thank God Amy is not a mean girl. Wendell appreciates it!
Amy is not like any of those idiot friends. I love how Ephram talked back to/confronted Kayla too. He wasn't afraid of her.

Quote:
[*]I love seeing Andy and Harold discussing cases. They are so cute together.
100%.

Quote:
[*]Andy lit up when Mrs. Trott was mentioned.
Total foreshadowing they were not done sharing more moments together.

Quote:
[*]Harold is hilarious...Salsa lessons. Uh Oh...Louise caught him! She's speechless.
I truly think Louise is the professional version of Rose. They both sort of let Harold do his thing and appear passive overall but they are anything but passive. They control their relationships with Harold only he doesn't realize it.

Quote:
[*]It is so true that it's often the woman in a marriage who gives up stuff...not the man. [*]The Keyes need to divorce. I see no hope here. It's very very awkward being around these two.[*]Lots of mention of eating chicken.....hmmmmmm...
So true.

Yes, they absolutely needed to divorce.

Andy was smart figuring it out. Reverend was pretty unappreciative of Andy's effort but made up for it during his wonderful speech in church.

Quote:
[*]Amy always has a sweet smile on her face when Ephram talks to her.

Quote:
[*]Andy is having a really tough time today. What a beautiful thoughtful gift from Julia![*]It seems that Harold and Andy always run into each other somewhere...in the diner...in a bar... Love these meetings...wisdom always ensues. Andy is giving Harold good advice this time for a change![*]Chicken!! The puzzle is solved!
Very true. Andy/Harold pretty much have the platonic version of Ephram/Amy.

Andy was very smart figuring out the chicken mystery.

Quote:
[*]Ephram always has Amy's back....what a hero...confronting two guys so much bigger and stronger than him! I know I've mentioned it before, but I still can't get over the fact that these guys did this to Amy...one of the most popular girls in the school...the sister of Bright and girlfriend of Colin..the 2 most popular guys in the school. Makes no sense.[*]Ephram feels so insecure in his relationship with Amy after Colin wakes up. Amy reassured him in such a sweet way..calling him her miracle. What a beautiful first kiss...

Quote:
[*]Andy in the Church pouring out his heart to God. He is so devasted and lost...a shell of a man...with nothing...no joy. Treat is such a fantastic actor.
If I could talk to Treat about one of Andy's scenes on Everwood it would be this one. He shines. What a brilliant actor.

Quote:
[*]I hate that Amy didn't want to sit with Ephram on the bus...what the heck!?![*]Poor Harold...he's also insecure about his relationship..feels he's out of his league. He shouldn't worry...he is Rose's Stick in the Mud. A great couple.[*]A present from Ephram...So beautiful! Love that he pretended it was Delia's idea.[*]I really wish Andy didn't give the Florence tickets to Mrs. Keyes, but to Harold and Rose instead.[*]Amy is expecting to pick up where she left off with Colin. So devastatingly disappointing for her. [*]I still don't like that Amy is snubbing Ephram...he doesn't deserve it and especially after she reassured him in the mine that this wouldn't happen. Not nice! At least Harold is willing to dine with the Browns! A nice development![*]I hope the townspeople can help Andy get back his Joy.
I definitely think Andy should have given the tickets to Harold and Rose.

The Colin situation is just so complicated. It sounds weird to say but I can't wait until it has concluded if that makes sense. This means we don't get these Season 1 episodes though if it goes by too quickly. LOL. But you know what I mean.

Last edited by jediwands; 03-01-2021 at 10:43 AM
Old 03-01-2021, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I also think that Andy should have given those tickets to Harold and Rose. I was hoping that he would have done that at the bar.

Mrs. Keyes was pretty creepy. She was sort of coming on to Andy, which was totally inappropriate for a married woman to do.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 03-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Administrator

What's so good about Treat Williams' acting is the subtle ways he would show his grief like when Mrs. Keyes said "I want to live my life, Dr. Brown. I want to feel it. Don't you want to feel your life? and the way that Andy answered "sometimes," said so much without having to say so much. In that scene, he was basically saying that he didn't want to feel his life, because so much of his life had died with Julia. Treat was able to convey Andy's anguish and regret with just one word.

Old 03-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was an incredible episode that brought me to tears several times as the themes of love and loss resonated throughout the episode, and a broken man pleaded with God to help him.
Teresa witnessed or predicted more crying.

Quote:
I liked the opening scene where Irv described why people go to church, and we got to meet Reverend Tom Keyes for the first time, and he would play an important part in Andy’s life in this episode and other episodes in this series.
I really like how it doesn’t matter what Christian denomination you are, everyone attends the church. The Abbott’s are Catholic and it doesn’t matter, they still attend.

Quote:
I thought that it was hilarious in the church when Andy was describing the different parts of the service to Delia, and he said “Jesus, how long is this thing?” and Teresa walked by and said “He sounds like you!” It was funny seeing Delia, who was raised Jewish, struggle to sing “What a friend we have in Jesus,” but you have to give her credit for wanting to experience other religions.

I liked how Nina described the upcoming Hope service that Reverend Keyes would be having the following week, and she told him that the Reverend Keyes picks the person who exemplifies hope within the community.

I liked seeing Ephram’s concern about Andy’s upcoming wedding anniversary, and although Andy acted nonchalant about it initially, we saw that this event weighed heavily on his mind, because him and Julia had always done something special on their anniversary, and it was the only time they spent together as husband and wife without Andy’s job and workaholic lifestyle calling him away from her.

We really got to see the tension between the Reverend Keyes and his wife Sally in this episode and you could tell that they were going in different directions and they were very unhappily married as Andy tried to solve the mystery of why Tom would break out in hives whenever he and his wife were intimate.
The actress who played Sally like I mention played a similar role on The OC.

I think it’s interesting that Andy and Julia always had an anniversary trip alone together. I think this proves even if they had marital issues due to Andy’s work schedule (the affair), they still were in love and spent quality time together.

Quote:
My hate for Kayla reached a new intensity in this episode as she showed what a mean-spirited and judgmental snob she is as she called Ephram Dark Man and made fun of Wendell. It bewilders me why Amy continued to be friends with her at this point.

It was so heartbreaking to see Andy receive a phone call from a travel agent telling him about a surprise anniversary trip that Julia had arranged for them, and he couldn’t bring himself to tell the travel agent that Julia had passed away, and he simply gave her his new address.

The scene where Sally complained about her life with Tom to Andy was so emotionally loaded as she said that something inside her snapped and she wanted to live her life and feel her life, and when she asked Andy if he wanted to feel his life, the way he answered “sometimes” was so heartbreaking, and when she said that she bet that he didn’t take his wife for granted, he sadly answered “I wouldn’t take that bet,” and all his feelings of loss and regret came to the surface again.

It was comical to see Louise catch Harold trying to follow along with his dance lesson, and Harold’s embarrassment was hilarious.

It was so sad to see Amy fantasize about what Colin would say to her when he woke up, and she would soon be facing a harsh reality in this episode.

It was funny to see Rose try to convince a reluctant Harold to go to the dance class with her as she recounted all that she gives up for him, but Harold, as he himself recognized, was a stick-in-the mud who didn’t like change.

I didn’t like seeing the Reverend Keyes and his wife argue in front of Andy when he tried to tell them that he had figured out what was causing his allergic reaction, and he told them not to give up on their marriage, but it was obvious that their marriage was a lost cause.

I liked seeing Ephram’s concern for Andy as he called him and told him that he wouldn’t be home for dinner on the night of his parents’ wedding anniversary.

The scene where Andy opened up the Travel Package was so heartbreaking as he saw that Julia had arranged for them to go to Florence, where they had spent their honeymoon, as she wanted to mark this milestone anniversary by having them go to the place where everything had begun for them.

I loved the conversation between Harold and Andy as he talked about how he worked every Holiday with the exception of his anniversary, and that he was an idiot for doing so, and that Harold should take Rose to Florence.

I loved seeing the scene between Ephram and Amy in the mine, and I loved how Ephram attacked those guys who played a cruel trick on Amy, and you could tell that Amy was really moved by what he did. I loved it when Ephram told Amy not to give up hope, and he expressed his fears about him and Amy becoming strangers when Colin woke up, but Amy responded that he was the only one who had been there for her the whole time, and they shared a tender kiss, but Amy pulled away almost immediately, leaving Ephram alone to regret what he had done. In hindsight, we know that Amy was fighting her feelings for Ephram at this point but my heart broke for him in this scene and in other scenes in this episode as she continued to reject him.

The scene in the church where Andy, in his heartbreak and anguish called out to God and he said that all his dreams died with Julia, and although he was still functioning and doing the best he could, he had lost his joy, and he had nothing left, and he pleaded with God to please give him his joy back was so incredibly heartbreaking and emotionally powerful, and Treat Williams did an incredible job in showing how lost and alone Andy felt at that point.

I liked how Harold had a heart-to-heart talk with Rose as he showed a vulnerable side that we rarely saw with him as he expressed his fears about change and his fears that Rose would leave him, and I loved what Rose said to assure him that she would never leave him.

I loved it when Ephram gave Andy a gift for their anniversary, pretending that it was Delia’s idea, and it was obvious that he put a lot of thought into this gift as he gave him an old-fashioned and beautiful leather doctor’s satchel, befitting his new role as a country doctor.

I liked the final conversation between Andy and Mrs. Keyes as she told him that she had left her husband and she expressed her fears for the future, and he was so kind to give her the tickets to Florence that Julia had bought for them, telling her that Florence was where his life began., and expressing the hope that maybe she would find what she was looking for there too.

It was heartbreaking to see Amy talk to Colin and realize that he didn’t know who she was, as the nurse told her that he might have to start from scratch, and it was so sad to see her break down and cry in Harold’s arms.

I loved the final scene where the Reverend Keyes announced that he had lost his marriage, and he told his congregation that he had leaned on one of them as he reached a point of despair, and when he came to church to look for answers, he found a man that was more dispirited than he was, and he was crying out to our Lord and seeking comfort, but receiving none, and he implored the congregation to pour their love into his wounded heart, and he named Andy as the man who represents the value of hope.

I hated how Amy walked away from Ephram after church when he asked her about Colin, and to be honest, I had such mixed feelings about her in this episode because she was pretty heartless in this scene and on the bus.

Overall, I thought this was an incredibly emotional episode and I’m looking forward to the next one.
I know I’m a huge Amy and Ephram/Amy fan but I viewed her pulling away from Ephram in a very positive light. First off, Ephram initiated the kiss (but Amy goes right along with it). I think given Ephram’s reaction to Amy freaking out after the kiss in the mine he might have had second thoughts about the timing given the Colin situation. He had a “Why did I do that?! sort of look. A lot of Ephram fans critical of him did not like that he kissed her because it was going to complicate everything and confuse Amy. I’m of course glad he went there but I can’t separate Ephram’s actions with Amy’s actions. The kiss was going to be a game changer and Ephram initiated it. It was in character for Amy to freak out over the kiss. She’s waiting for Colin to wake up, she’s drawn to Ephram and has feelings for him. She feels guilt over still technically being with Colin and kissing Ephram. It made sense to me. Which brings me to two... we wanted Amy to freak out over the kiss because it was confirmation she returned the romantic feelings. If she was all comfortable and calm with Ephram after the kiss it would’ve indicated she didn’t care about the kiss because she didn’t feel anything romantic. The fact that she reacted so strongly was great news for Ephram/Amy fans.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
What's so good about Treat Williams' acting is the subtle ways he would show his grief like when Mrs. Keyes said "I want to live my life, Dr. Brown. I want to feel it. Don't you want to feel your life? and the way that Andy answered "sometimes," said so much without having to say so much. In that scene, he was basically saying that he didn't want to feel his life, because so much of his life had died with Julia. Treat was able to convey Andy's anguish and regret with just one word.
I think this is why Andy gave her the tickets. This moment was real. Mrs. Keyes might have been an annoying character but she actually helped Andy without even realizing it. This is why I love Everwood... layers and layers with unexpected twists that add to the realness.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Teresa witnessed or predicted more crying.
Yep!

Quote:
I think it’s interesting that Andy and Julia always had an anniversary trip alone together. I think this proves even if they had marital issues due to Andy’s work schedule (the affair), they still were in love and spent quality time together.
It also meant that their marriage still meant something to Julia because she had arranged their trip a year before it was going to happen. It reminded me of a birthday gift that my father gave me the year my mother died. It was a Hummel Figurine and he said that my mother had ordered it for me shortly before she passed away.

Quote:
I know I’m a huge Amy and Ephram/Amy fan but I viewed her pulling away from Ephram in a very positive light. First off, Ephram initiated the kiss (but Amy goes right along with it). I think given Ephram’s reaction to Amy freaking out after the kiss in the mine he might have had second thoughts about the timing given the Colin situation. He had a “Why did I do that?! sort of look. A lot of Ephram fans critical of him did not like that he kissed her because it was going to complicate everything and confuse Amy. I’m of course glad he went there but I can’t separate Ephram’s actions with Amy’s actions. The kiss was going to be a game changer and Ephram initiated it. It was in character for Amy to freak out over the kiss. She’s waiting for Colin to wake up, she’s drawn to Ephram and has feelings for him. She feels guilt over still technically being with Colin and kissing Ephram. It made sense to me. Which brings me to two... we wanted Amy to freak out over the kiss because it was confirmation she returned the romantic feelings. If she was all comfortable and calm with Ephram after the kiss it would’ve indicated she didn’t care about the kiss because she didn’t feel anything romantic. The fact that she reacted so strongly was great news for Ephram/Amy fans.
I like your view of what happened. In my viewpoint though, I just felt bad for Ephram in this episodes and future episodes when Colin was around.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think this is why Andy gave her the tickets. This moment was real. Mrs. Keyes might have been an annoying character but she actually helped Andy without even realizing it. This is why I love Everwood... layers and layers with unexpected twists that add to the realness.
I completely agree but I still wish that he had given the tickets to Harold and Rose. Mrs. Keyes was a completely unlikable character.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I completely agree but I still wish that he had given the tickets to Harold and Rose. Mrs. Keyes was a completely unlikable character.
Me, too. Especially after he told Harold that he and Rose need to go there and next year is not guaranteed.
Reply   Post New Thread