Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Bright and Ephram did have a friendship out of convenience a little bit. Let's be honest... Bright bullied Ephram in season 1, and in real life, you don't form a friendship in the future with a former bully. Yes, circumstances were unique given Ephram/Amy, small town, two families connected. Still, it's rare Bright and Ephram would even form a friendship based on their rocky start. I also disliked how Ephram was so obsessed with Madison in season 2 (I never felt it was love, I always viewed it as obsession), all he did was talk about her. He rambled on and on and Bright finally even told him it was annoying and to stop in so many words. Another thing I didn't like was all the bad advice Bright gave Ephram on Madison during the band lie situation and even with Stephanie. It's like... Bright, do you even remember who your sister is? He never gave good advice, lol. Granted, Bright is Bright, he cheated on Hannah, so at this point we shouldn't have expected anything more from him. Still, it was annoying. I do believe in the future, as adults, Bright and Ephram would form a more heartfelt friendship though, or at least the potential is there.

To answer your question, Betty...

I would say...

Best moments... The Perfect Day episode (and how they realized why they were friends in the first place) I will quote below.

Worst moments... Bright giving horrible advice on Madison and Stephanie. Ephram acting borderline narcissistic (even if he's not, but you get the point) so obsessed with Madison he was drowning Bright every second with thoughts on her.

That said... I do believe one episode really hit it as far as why the Foursome of Bright/Amy/Ephram/Hannah even found each other in the first place...

Loss.

Bright/Ephram Conversation... this site doesn't list the characters specific lines but it's pretty clear who is talking (Bright or Ephram) in this scene:

The Perfect Day

Quote:
See what I don't get is why her parents would send her away.
Y'know, I mean if your dad was dying wouldn't you want to be there.
Probably.
I don't know, maybe not.
Yeah, I don't know either, man.
Damn.
Yeah, it's like there's no silver lining.
She stays and she sees her dad die a horrible death.
She leaves and she feels guilty for the rest of her life.
She's screwed either way.
Okay, well, Hannah doesn't need us to throw her a little pity party here so… Y'know, life just sucks.
It never ceases to amaze me.
Dude, buzz kill.
If you're gonna slash your wrists, just give me the heads up, okay.
No, I mean seriously.
Seriously think about it.
Think about the three of us.
Me and my mom.
You guys and Colin.
Now Hannah.
It's like tragedy's the only thing we have in common.
It's practically the reason we're friends.
So? Y'know, at least we all found each other.
We are friends.
But the point is we got screwed.
We're-We're-We're like way older than it says on our drivers' license.
I mean most kids our age don't have to go through the kind of stuff that we're going through.
That's why most kids our age know how to throw a proper ditch day.
Hey, you know what, I've thrown plenty a proper ditch days in my time.
And I would have turned today around if you guys would have let me.
The truth is, Ephram, there is a silver lining.
You just fail to see it.
I think that's part of your problem.
Thank you, Dr.
Phil.
No, seriously, you came here on your first day, you met Amy.
'Cause you're all wiggy, in love with her, it takes your mind off what probably would have been a pretty nightmare year.
I was not wiggy.
And because of what you went through with your mom, you were able to help her – Amy - out with the whole Colin thing went down and now Hannah just randomly moves in next door to you.
Dude, we can help her with this thing.
If that's not lucky, I don't know what is.
You think we're lucky.
Hell, yeah, I do.
I do.
I do think we're lucky.
I also think that we are young.
You may not feel like it all the time, but you are.
So if you want to have a little fun, just nut up and do something about it.
Okay, next ditch day'll be better.
Screw that, we've got plenty of day left.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.c...episode=s03e13
Bright is definitely right... they all found each other due to tragedy and loss. That is why they all sort of magnetically were drawn to each other even if on paper, these friendships do not seem like they should remotely work out. I loved this scene because it also provides this sort of fated/spiritual/magical element Everwood always had sprinkled in throughout the series.

Oh and the "Wiggy" part always cracks me up so much. I had that quote in my signature for a while.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Excellent post Michelle. It gives me a perspective that I didn't think of.

I became friends with someone who bullied me in Grammar School (we became friends in our College years) and although I liked the guy, I never forgot about how he bullied me and as a result, that was always there for me and I never got really close with him. He passed away years ago, so I never got to see if our friendship would have lasted.

On the show, I initially saw Bright as a mean bully and later I saw him as comic relief on the show as a somewhat dimwitted and farcical character, but he did play an important part on the show.

I think I tend to block out all the Ephram and Madison stuff because I hated them as a couple and I hated Madison as a character, but you’re right that Ephram was obsessed with her and he drove poor Bright crazy prattling on about her, and Bright was a lot more patient with him that I would have been. I remember being infatuated with a girl when I was in college and I did talk about her with a few of my friends, but I didn’t do it as much as Ephram did with Bright.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-29-2019, 10:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Wow, Jerry, I am sorry you had to endure any form of bullying. Good that you guys were friends or friendly even if you didn't forget.

That's definitely how I saw Bright as well. I kind of wish they would have done more with Bright while he was struggling with being the driver of the truck when Colin's brain injury occurred. It would have been nice seeing both Amy and Bright struggling together after Colin's death.

I blocked out all their intimate scenes, Jerry. I just can't see anything but gross when I try to be objective.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Danelle, I almost wanted to you after reading your remarks about Ephram. But....like you...I love him, but don't always like him. It's the way I feel about my kids!

I believe what all of you believe regarding this friendship.

Ephram and Bright would have never been friends or even had contact with each other if it weren't for Andy/Harold/Amy.

Ephram is very self centered.

Ephram is not one to be a friend...not one to hang out and prefers his alone time. Of course this is not how he felt about Amy. I'm thinking that Ephram is more a girl guy than a guy guy.

As far as friendship is concerned Bright was a much better friend to Ephram than the other way around.

Worst moment for Bright: (I'm with you here, Michelle.) Telling Ephram that his ship has sailed with Amy and there was no chance for the two of them to get back together.
I wanted scream at Bright, "Didn't you see that dance??? What's the matter with you???!"

Best Moment for Bright: His talk with Amy on the stairs of their home talking up Ephram's qualities. It was the best thing he ever did for Ephram.

Worst moment for Ephram: When he went on and on and on and on about his troubles with Madison while Bright was in so much pain regarding not getting into college and what his dismal future held. Bright had to scream at Ephram:"Will you just Shut Up!!!"
Ephram deserved this big time!!

Best moment for Ephram:
When he went to Bright's HS graduation and stayed behind to give Bright comfort when everyone else was celebrating their futures and upcoming colleges.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-29-2019 at 11:09 AM
Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Excellent post Michelle. It gives me a perspective that I didn't think of.

I became friends with someone who bullied me in Grammar School (we became friends in our College years) and although I liked the guy, I never forgot about how he bullied me and as a result, that was always there for me and I never got really close with him. He passed away years ago, so I never got to see if our friendship would have lasted.
I'm glad you worked it out with this guy, but I can understand this leaving a bad taste in your mouth regarding him.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Worst moments... Bright giving horrible advice on Madison and Stephanie. Ephram acting borderline narcissistic (even if he's not, but you get the point) so obsessed with Madison he was drowning Bright every second with thoughts on her.
That scene was so hard to watch on so many levels. Poor Bright. My heart ached for him and I just wanted to slap Ephram.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-29-2019 at 11:10 AM
Old 05-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Best moment for Ephram:[/B] When he went to Bright's HS graduation and stayed behind to give Bright comfort when everyone else was celebrating their futures and upcoming colleges.
I loved that scene so much too.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sometimes opposites attract in both romance and friendship but with Bright and Ephram, they truly were really different. Bright was not only Extroverted, but massively Extroverted. Ephram, on the other hand, was extremely Introverted. It was like oil and water. They were two big time extremes so it was difficult to reach other other as a result.

For example, I am extremely Introverted. But I do have some Extroverted friends. We get along because while I’m extremely Introverted, they aren’t Bright Extroverted, they are more mild to moderate Extroverted. It just works. If they were Bright Extroverted, with my extreme Introversion it wouldn’t work like it does.

So while two of the same might not be ideal, two on completely opposites ends is not a good mixture either and that was Bright and Ephram. Then again, Bright and Hannah were opposites too. We saw how much Hannah was having fun at that party, lol. Then again, they had bigger fish to fry with the sex stuff. LOL.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
For example, I am extremely Introverted. But I do have some Extroverted friends. We get along because while I’m extremely Introverted, they aren’t Bright Extroverted, they are more mild to moderate Extroverted. It just works. If they were Bright Extroverted, with my extreme Introversion it wouldn’t work like it does.
I get this. That's why you and I could be friends, since I am a moderate extrovert. Of course I would probably have to nag you to do stuff.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I really liked Ephram but he could definitely be selfish and self-absorbed, and I agree with Danielle that he sometimes acted like any issues that he had were the worst and more important than any issues that anyone else had. I sometimes felt that he was somewhat emotionally stilted due to his losing his mother and his strained relationship with his father, and he was an introvert in general, and he could, and did, shut down when he was upset, like when he left for Europe after the Madisongate reveal. Despite all that, he had a good heart, and I liked him.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm glad you worked it out with this guy, but I can understand this leaving a bad taste in your mouth regarding him.
He was the type of guy that could be nice to you one on one, and after I moved he would call me, but in a crowd he could still be a jerk, even as an adult, so I always wondered if he was being nice to my face but still would talk about me behind my back. He died of an aneurysm in his aorta that burst at the age of 37, and I really felt bad when he died, especially since he died so young.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I get this. That's why you and I could be friends, since I am a moderate extrovert. Of course I would probably have to nag you to do stuff.
Exactly!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Despite all that, he had a good heart, and I liked him.
Thank God for that good heart. Otherwise we would all probably hate him.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Maybe this has been asked, maybe not. But I thought I'd share my next question idea...

At what point do you think Ephram forgave Andy for lying to him about Madison?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM
New Fan

Talking about the Ephram Bright friendship makes me think about another relationship on the show that was IMO very underdeveloped which is Amy and Bright. I really love watching siblings on TV shows because I often think they have some of the most interesting dynamics on shows and I feel like their relationship could've added a lot more to the show than it did if just a little bit more effort was put into writing it.

One thing that I felt was a huge missed opportunity in regards to their relationship was the getting the chance to connect over the loss of Colin. I know everything surrounding Colin often placed a strain on their relationship like Bright's guilt about the accident, Amy's depression after his death and all the other drama that was involved with it but I still feel like they could've bonded after his death. It always felt very weird to me that the barely ever talked about Colin together with the exception of when they argued at that one party after his death. I know they were kinda trying to erase Colin from the plot but there were little mentions of him throughout the series and it never made sense to me that Amy and Bright never talked about it. Even in seasons 3 or 4 I feel like we were missing one or even multiple scenes in which they could've talked about him. We know the three of them spent a lot of time together prior to his death and it felt like that was never addressed. Considering they were the two closest people to him outside of his family and they are also siblings it felt very strange that this never happened. I guess I'm just sad because Colin's death feels like it should've been something that brought them together rather than tore them apart.

Another thing that really bothered me was their relationship in season 2. I know that Bright was really mad about the way that Amy was acting in season 2 but I still think he could've been a little bit more compassionate towards her. Maybe its a lot to ask of Bright to understand her depression especially since Harold couldn't even seem to understand it, but considering he went through through the same loss as her even if his grief wasn't as extreme as hers you would think he would make more of an effort to see her point of view. Even before all the fallout due to everything with Tommy in the first half of the season he still acted very insensitive. The way he ignored her and pretended she didn't exist was extremely cold.

That one scene where he tells her that Ephram is his friend was really grating on me. First of all considering how badly he treated Ephram in season 1 when Amy was his friend this comes across as really ridiculous. Then theres the fact that Amy basically has no one at that point and he wants to take away someone who has been there for her in the past. It's like he abandons her in her time of need and wants Ephram to do the same and then he is angry and surprised when she sticks with the one person who has stood by her (I know Tommys a sleaze ball but from Amy's POV at this point he is the only who one supported her). I feel like if Bright had tried to find common ground with her at a time when her parents could not theres a possibility he could have gotten through to her. Instead he chose to give her another reason to stay away and just made things worse for her.

Disclaimer real quick that I'm sorry if this is coming off super biased toward Amy. I cannot deny that Amy's my favorite character and I will probably see things from her perspective the most. Also as someone who has dealt with depression it is hard for me to watch all the people she loves turn their backs on her when she needs them the most. I hated that they treated her like she was being dramatic or doing it all for attention because I have had people treat me that way. When dealing with something like depression you already have issues with your self worth and ask yourself if its all in your head and a part of you thinks you are overreacting. For other people to also invalidate your feelings and blame you it is just so much more damaging and to witness the Abbotts all do that to Amy was so disheartening.

And then of course we have all of the moments where Bright interferes with Amy and Ephram's relationship with his awful advice. First there is the time when he encourages Ephram to see Madison and hide it from Amy. This was just the stupidest thing ever. They were acting like Amy was just some random girl. Bright did not seem to care at all about her feelings. Especially since he knows how much Amy loves Ephram. That scene were he talks about how Ephram maybe wants to get back together with Madison is just so uncomfortable. Ephram reassures him that he doesn't but Bright really doesn't seem to care one way or another. This was unbelievable to me. And then we have the end of season 3 when Ephram breaks Amy's heart. There was one good moment when Bright tells Ephram to go a little easier on Amy. However after he breaks up with her Bright doesn't care at all. I know Ephram's his friend but I feel like he should've been at least a little mad about it. And then there is the end of season 4 when Bright is telling Ephram to move on with Stephanie because him and Amy will never get back together. This is after he just witnessed Amy getting jealous of them the night before. I know Bright is supposed to be dense but not that dense. He had to have known that Amy still had feelings for Ephram in some capacity. But he never talks to her about it he just tells Ephram to move on. He just doesn't seem to care about Amy being happy at all.

Now of course they have some good moments. I thought it was so funny in season 1 when they bonded over their bitterness about the Colin and Ephram friendship. I love the scene when Bright tells Amy to go after Ephram in season 2 and also when he sets it up so they can go to prom together. I also love when Amy talks to Bright in season 3 when he's having a hard time and tells him he can't keep treating people badly. And in season 4 when she comforts him after he cheats on Hannah. They do have some great moments. But it just felt like a relationship that was never properly explored to its full potential. I would have loved a SL between the two of them. This just felt like a relationship that was neglected in favor of other ones between newer characters we didn't care as much about. They could've had scenes that felt organic and earned instead of having to deal with arcs about Amanda or Reid or Madison. I try not to imagine all the great scenes Amy and Bright could've had together in place of that.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread