View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Melis
Fan Forum Legend

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts #4 - A girl can do what she wants to do and that's what I'm gonna do

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts Appreciation

Joan Jett (born Joan Marie Larkin; September 22, 1958) is an American rock guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer and occasional actress, best known for her work with Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, including their hit record "I Love Rock 'n' Roll", which was No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 from March 20 to May 1, 1982,[2] as well as for their other popular recordings including "Crimson and Clover", "I Hate Myself for Loving You", "Do You Wanna Touch Me", "Light of Day", "Love Is All Around" and "Bad Reputation".

Jett has a mezzo-soprano vocal range. She has three albums that have been certified Platinum or Gold, and has been a feminist icon throughout her career. She is considered by the Toronto Sun as the Queen of Rock ‘n Roll. In 2015, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

In 1979, Jett was in England pursuing a solo career. She recorded three songs there with Sex Pistols' Paul Cook and Steve Jones, one of which was an early version of Arrows' "I Love Rock 'n' Roll". This version appears on the 1993 compilation album Flashback. Later that year, she returned to Los Angeles, where she began fulfilling an obligation of the Runaways to complete a film which was loosely based on the band's career entitled We're All Crazee Now! Three actresses required to stand in for the departed band members included Rainbeaux Smith, who was also a rock drummer. While working on the project, Jett met songwriter and producer Kenny Laguna, who was hired by Toby Mamis to help Jett with writing some tracks for the film.They became friends and decided to work together and she relocated to Long Beach, New York where Kenny Laguna was based. The plug was pulled on the project halfway through shooting with Jett being ill, but in 1984, after Jett became famous, producers looked for a way to use the footage from the incomplete film.Parts of the original footage of Jett were used in another project, an underground film called DuBeat-Eo, which was produced by Alan Sacks but not commercially released.