View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 09:13 PM
~AnastasiaGrey~
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollibear (View Post)
I don't look at it as if the other Bay was psychic. To me, that scene was Bay talking to herself, and Bay is not psychic. I look at it in this way: Bay was spiraling out of control without Emmett. She had to find some way to put the loss behind her and move on with her life, or she was going to drown. So for me, that scene was Bay telling herself that the breakup would have happened no matter what. Bay needed to believe that within herself, in order to forgive herself. Bay needed to believe that, in order to let go. I think people tell themselves lies like that all of the time in real life. It's actually a great strategy for moving through life. If Bay had not taken the fall for Daphne, then it's possible Bay and Emmett would have broken up, once they both got to LA together. Anything is possible. But I seriously doubt that they would have broken up. Bay and Emmett were both committed to each other, and they had both been through a lot to get back together, after Emmett's infidelity. I believe that Bay and Emmett could have continued working through their trust issues and built a strong relationship in LA. But Bay believing that probably wouldn't have done her any good, especially at the point when she was leaving Melody's house, in To Repel Ghosts. Bay had already lost Emmett, and it probably was better for her to believe that she was destined to lose him, than to think that her decisions are what cost her the relationship. How could Bay move forward, if she allowed herself to accept that she had a wonderful relationship with a man that she connects with on a deep level, and she destroyed their connection by making him an afterthought and treating him cavalierly? It's easier for Bay to move forward, if she tells herself that it was always destined to happen, that they were growing apart any way. To me, the key to that scene is that, when our Bay tells the "other" Bay that she HAD to take the fall for Daphne, that she doesn't regret it, the "other" Bay tells our Bay, "But you have to see that for him, that was the beginning of the end." I do think both "Bays" are correct, and so was Melody, in that their breakup wasn't about Tank or Skye. Bay and Emmett broke up for the second time, for pretty much the same reason as they broke up the first time. During their first relationship, Emmett did not trust Bay enough to share his insecurities with her or allow her to be a true partner. And during their second relationship, Bay did not trust Emmett enough to share her insecurities with him or allow him to be a true partner. But it's a lot easier to move on, if Bay tells herself that they were growing apart, and it would have happened anyway. I think the same thing for Emmett, too. It's easier for Emmett to move on, if he believes that they were growing apart and their breakup would have happened anyway. It doesn't do Emmett any good to sit in LA and lament how Bay never allowed him into her innermost thoughts during their second relationship. It doesn't do Emmett any good to dwell on the fact that Bay did not trust him enough to share whatever was going on with her, during their senior year. (I still do not know if Emmett is aware of Bay's potential to develop aneurysms. I'm leaning towards the idea that he doesn't know. But the writers have so many crucial moments happen off-camera in this story that it's a toss up.) It's easier for Emmett to tell himself (and Travis, Daphne, and anyone else who might care) that he and Bay were growing apart. It's easier to believe that their breakup was inevitable, than to face the fact that their choices caused it. I've known enough high school sweethearts who have had long lives together to know that Bay and Emmett's breakup was not inevitable. They could have made it work. I just think it's easier for them to both believe that they couldn't. My sister is nearly 20 years older than me. She's in her sixties now. She married her husband at the age of 19. She first fell in love with him at the age of 14. They dated off and on throughout high school, because he cheated on her. Then, he went off to Vietnam, while they were broken up. The Virginian-Pilot (a local newspaper) falsely reported that he had been killed in action, when he had only been wounded. They reunited as soon as he returned home. They married a few months later and had a son the next year. And for the last 45 years, they have been the HAPPIEST couple I have ever known. Bay and Emmett didn't have to break up. Just because it's easier now, at the moment, to tell themselves that their breakup was inevitable, that doesn't mean it will continue to be easier to tell themselves that. After a few more failed relationships with other people, where they don't even have a connection one tenth as deep as the one that they shared with each other, then they will learn about difficulty. Then, they will realize that it is a lot easier to work on a relationship with someone with whom you share a connection, than it is to keep trying to make something work with someone with whom you don't. Connections like the one Bay and Emmett share are rare. Each of them may find another person with whom they will share that kind of connection, but they may not, too. That kind of connection is not a dime a dozen. It's special.

Agreed