View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 04:18 AM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassiek (View Post)
Woah...this comment is such a drastic turnaround from how you normally talk about Travis.
How is it a turnaround? Do you mean that this post is more positive than I usually am, in regards to Travis's character?

In this post, I am talking about how I believe Travis sees himself. In my other posts, I am usually talking about how I see Travis.

Quote:
I don't really think Travis would be insecure around her ex boyfriends.
Maybe insecure is the wrong word. Maybe uncomfortable is a better word, for this situation. (Although I could see Travis being insecure, too.)

Right now, I'm thinking about my two best friends. Their names are Vicki and Vanessa, and we go to movies together, hang out at each other's homes, and meet in restaurants, just like Travis and his two buddies, Emmett and Garrett, do.

If I began dating a man, and I knew that both Vicki and Vanessa had sex with him, especially in the last few months, then that would feel weird to me. None of us have ever dated the same people.

These days, do most young people do that, date their best friends' past lovers? Maybe it's a generational thing, but my friends and I have never done that. I've purposefully avoided dating my best friend's exes, even if I found them cute.

Once my boyfriend and I visited my best friend Vicki, at her house. She had a younger brother who was still in elementary school, and while Vicki and I chatted and caught up with each other, my boyfriend went out in the backyard to play catch with her little brother. I thought my boyfriend was a total dreamboat for doing that. But that moment would have had an entirely different feel to it, if I knew that my boyfriend had slept with my best friend, before he dated me. If that was the case, then that moment would have made me feel jealous. I would have felt that his playing catch with her little brother was more about his feelings for her, than his feelings for me.

And as weird as it would be if my two best friends had previously slept with my boyfriend, it would be even weirder if my sister Sandy had. Our family gets together for holidays. Knowing that my sister had slept with my boyfriend would make Easter, the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas so awkward. We take family vacations together and share hotel suites. Again, awkward. I'm not a terribly insecure person, but if I knew my boyfriend had a "Bay and Emmett" type of relationship with my sister, before he started dating me, then yeah, holidays and family vacations would be difficult for me.

I wonder how Bledsoe holidays and family vacations will be for Travis, now, if he and Bay become a true couple.

Quote:
It's hard to guess of course, but his insecurities were really about not having a place or a family and feeling alienated because he is Deaf. Bay and her family accepted him and gave him a place as did Melody. He then is able to open up to them. When he opens up and is honest with people, he is very secure with who he is. It's like he has to trust the person to let them know how he really feels. I don't think he ever trusted MB, she really had to force her way into his life. With Bay and her family he is able to talk about his insecurities and really listen to feedback. I remember when Travis was having trouble with English and he went to John and Kathryn (although he struggled for awhile with it anyway).
I do feel like Travis has been able to build trust with the Bledsoes and the Kennishes, but I feel his insecurities stem from something a lot deeper than not having a home and being Deaf. As a child, I think Travis suffered years of neglect and abuse at the hands of his family, and he said that he suffered years of bullying in hearing schools, before he found Carlton. Those things have a way of making people deeply insecure. I wouldn't think the writing is realistic, if Travis has been healed of his insecurities, simply because Melody gave him a place to stay and John has been a mentor.

* I think Travis is still struggling with his English. Kathryn seemed quite frustrated with him, while she was trying to tutor him. It didn't seem like an easy fix, to me. And I thought John was the one that forced that information out of Travis, rather than Travis coming to the Kennishes for help.