View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 PM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

Not really, though.

It can stop them suing people for making knock-offs, but it doesn't prevent them from selling their own merchandise and making the same profit they were making before.

And I can't imagine there weren't knock-offs already.

I mean, I get what you're trying to say, but trademark law only gives negative protection. Meaning that all it does is allow you to sue someone if you think they're using your reputation fraudulently to sell their products.

Heck, because the team's logo is so inherently tied to the team as a result of this whole business about the offensiveness of the name, I would imagine they wouldn't even need to have registered trademarks to sue. The logo, the name, have all been so linked with the organization that it would be a powerful argument, regardless of actual registrations.

Not to mention that the this cancellation has been so public that it has also solidified the fact that the organization successfully registered the rights to those trademarks before.