View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Finnegan
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s e r e n i t y (View Post)
I know, Im so excited
Down, girl, down.

It's nowhere near so good as the aired episodes. Antin worked for a whole year to make the thing better than the unaired pilot. For me, there's only one thing in the UP that's not in aired YA 1 that I liked alot, and it's an old vaudeville comedy gag that Moennig gets to enact. You'll notice it.

But it is interesting and instructive if one is interested in trying to figure out what Antin was trying to do in YA, and how he came to do it. Especially interesting is the cow-tipping at the end.
-- Cow-tipping is not real, it's in the UP to clue you in that YA is all a dream.
-- And the anachronisms are already there -- the antique gas pumps and trucks were moved from Georgia in autumn 1999 to Maryland in summer 2000, which says a lot about how important they were to Antin. Of course, they too are signals that it's all a dream.
But the "it's a dream" signals in the series as aired are a lot richer and more varied and subtler. Cow-tipping, frankly, is kinda crude.