New Fan

A Day In The Life Of Alex Myers
By skycloud86

Summary: What if Nina had a brother?
Rated: PG-13
Characters: Day One characters/OCs
Chapter Two - 5am-6am

5.00am, CTU Los Angeles

As Nina watched the helicopter take off, Tony approached her. "You better stop watching his back, Nina', he warned her, annoyed at her willingness to help Jack each and every time the bastard asked for it,'Where is he going?". Nina instantly turned around and started to walk back inside, then turned around and said, in an unemotional voice "Back off, Tony. You think I'm a lapdog for Jack, when its you who does all the running around like a puppy, running after me!".

5.02am, CTU Los Angeles

Alex watched Tony come back into the main bullpen of CTU and sit down at his desk. He let out an exasperated sigh before returning to the tasks Nina had given him. I don't like to be a pessimist, Alex pondered, but there isn't a whole lot right with the relationship between Nina and Tony. He had witnessed them together a few days before, and even after just a few minutes came to the conclusion that Nina and Tony had very different motives for being together. And not one of those is love, at least not in the traditional sense. He logged into his own workstation adn began to do his own work. And here we go, day one of my working life in Los Angeles.

5.05am, CTU Los Angeles

Alex rubbed the bridge of his nose, then finished off what remained of his third coffee of the morning. This job would be perfect for insomniacs, he mused. He looked around the room and saw other people busying themselves with work. The building itself was full of gloomy, dark rooms with fluorescent lighting that didn't exactly fullfill its purpose of lighting up the place. He looked at Nina's desk and wondered what she was doing. Something about a dead body, he had been told. He didn't know anymore, and as far as he was concerned, he didn't want to.

He got up and walked into the break room to get himself a fourth coffee of the morning.

5.07am, CTU Los Angeles

Tony saw Alex walk into the break room and decided to follow. I may as well get to know him a little better, seeing as he'll be working here, he decided to himself. He placed his beloved Cubs mug onto the table as he walked in. "So, regretting moving to Los Angeles yet, Alex?", he said, in an effort to keep the mood, and the conversation, light. Alex grinned and replied,"Not just yet, although its early days yet!".

"I assume you've aware of how much work we're going to have to do today, Alex?", Tony asked searchingly. "Yeah, I am, but as long as we protect Palmer and don't end up dying of a caffeine overdose by tonight, then it should be worth it". Alex finished making his coffee and moved out of the way to let Tony get a drink.

5.27am, CTU Los Angeles

Nina sighed and took off her latex gloves and answered the phone. Looks like I'll need to get Jamey in here to help, she thought. I better get Milo Pressman to come in to replace her. Milo Pressman was an outside contractor, rather than an actual CTU agent, but was great at his job and Nina trusted him fully. She decided to call Milo first, then get Jamey when he arrived.

5.30am, Milo Pressman's apartment, Los Angeles

Like Alex almost an hour earlier, Nina was waking someone else up with a phone call, but in this case, Milo knew exactly who it was. As if anyone else but CTU would call me at 5 in the morning, he grumbled as he answered the phone.

"This is Milo", he answered. "Milo, it's Nina at CTU, I'm going to need you to come in as soon as possible". Milo groaned. He hadn't exactly got anything planned for the day, but a lie-in was long overdue. "Ok, I'll be there soon, Nina", he replied and hung up.

5.37am, CTU Los Angeles

"Jamey?", Nina called as she walked towards her.

"Yeah?", Jamey replied, just as Milo Pressman walked into the building. That's just great, she thought.

"I need your help ID'ing a John Doe", Nina asked.

"What? What about the keycard? Isn't it supposed to be really important?”

“Yes, but Milo is just as capable as you and I need your help”

Jamey muttered under her breath as she passed the card to Milo, who was repressing a victorious grin.

Milo set down his cup of pistachio nuts next to his monitor and logged on. This card better be important, he thought to himself as he began to analyse the data.

5.39am, CTU Los Angeles

Alex looked on as Nina and Jamey walked down a corridor, from where Nina had emerged just minutes before. He looked over at Milo, the new arrival, and wondered what the tension between him and Jamey was. He decided to IM Milo and find out.

AlexMyers - Hello Milo, I’m Alex. I just transferred here. I had a bit of a rude awakening myself this morning.

MiloPressman - That’s nice to know, Alex. I’m sort of busy at the moment, as you can probably tell

AlexMyers - I am too. Nina’s got me working on some lists which right now are not exactly telling me what I need to know

AlexMyers - I don’t wish to be nosy, but whats up with you and Jamey Farrell?

MiloPressman - Its nothing, really. Mostly ego-driven competition. Its what we have in common with each other

5.55am - CTU Los Angeles

The quietness was soon broken by Milo’s one-man celebration. He grabbed his cup of pistachios and walked towards the corridor, which probably meant that he had some good news for Nina. And bad news for Jamey, Milo chuckled quietly.

5.57am - CTU Los Angeles

“And I’m in!”, Milo exclaimed triumphantly as he walked into the morgue. Jamey threw him a look of disgust, as he stared at the body lying on the steel table.

“Jamey!’, Nina spoke,’I think we’ve got an lD for our John Doe. I should call Jack”. She grabbed her mobile and dialled Jack’s number. She waited for him to pick up, but after eight or nine rings she hung up. She shrugged and decided to call his wife, Teri. Nina asked her where Jack was, and was surprised when Teri told her of a phone call that never happened between her and Jack just minutes before. She told Teri the name of the dead man, which distrubed Teri greatly.

If Alan York is dead, then who on Earth is sitting right next to me?, she wondered fearfully. She decided not to do anything that would alert him - at least not until she had good reason to do so.

5:59:57

5:59:58

5:59:59

6:00:00