View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Maybe_Tomorrow
Part-Time Fan

English, Welsh and Scottish flags banned at Olympics.

Quote:
British athletes and fans will be banned from waving the flags of the home nations at the Beijing Olympics.

Chinese authorities say they will confiscate the national flags of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland as only the unified United Kingdom team are competing at the games.

Athletes wishing to celebrate with the crosses of St George and St Andrew, or the Welsh dragon, could even be disqualified from competing under the ruling.

It means only the Union Flag can be taken inside stadiums and sporting events during the two-week festival.

The tough regulations are believed to be aimed at stopping supporters of an independent Tibet protesting at the games.

But Scottish fans supporting Andy Murray in the tennis and Welsh supporters of cyclist Geraint Thomas are also among those who will be affected by the rules.

Mr Thomas said: 'It would be great to do a lap of honour draped in the Welsh flag if I win a gold medal, and I'm very disappointed if this rule means that would not be possible.'

The Chinese authorities have used Rule 51 of the Olympic Charter to enforce the ban. The ruling states: 'No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.'

The rule has been interpreted to mean that the waving of flags of non-competing nations is a 'political demonstration' and the Olympic Charter gives the Chinese the power to disqualify rule-breakers.

It states: 'Any violation … may result in the disqualification or withdrawal of the accreditation of the person concerned.'

The Chinese have reinforced their tough stance by adding on the official website for the games: 'To avoid delays at security and to maintain an orderly flow, please DO NOT bring the following articles to any venue... flags of non-members of the Olympics or Paralympics; flags or banners larger than 2m x 1m; flagpoles; any banners, slogans, fliers, brochures or samples.'

MPs say the decision is another example of China's abuse of human rights and have urged Gordon Brown to demand they scrap the ruling.

Shadow sports minister Hugh Robertson said: 'The right to wave your national flag has always been a central part of the spectator experience at every Olympic games.

'To see it banned now for internal political reasons contradicts an essential part of the Olympic experience and freedom of expression.'

Amnesty International spokeswoman Cathy Owens said: 'With so many domestic activists silenced, I'm not surprised that the Chinese authorities want to control what can be seen at Olympic venues.

'We don't want politics to overshadow the games, but the Chinese Government promised to improve human rights when they were awarded the Olympics, and this promise has been broken.'

A spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport said: 'We have only heard these reports late in the evening in Beijing and will be asking the games organisers for clarification as soon as possible tomorrow.'

Australian 400 meter runner Cathy Freeman courted controversy by wearing an Australian and Aboriginal flag after winning gold at the Sydney Olympics in 2000.
Source

I think this is likely to be a big blow to the British athletes who often like to fly the flag off their home country, Wales, England or Scotland alongside the union jack at the athletics. I remember at i think it was Sydney, when Britain won a pole place for the relay and one wore a welsh flag, one a scottish, one an english and one wore the union jack to represent all three nations and then the union and it looked really beautiful. It's such a shame. I really dont see the harm in it, they've been doing it for years and it's never been a problem before.