View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Rachel_Dawes
Part-Time Fan

BIG news is Katie Holmes doing B'way's "All My Sons" revival with John Lithgow, Dianne Wiest, Pat rick Wilson. So how did a producer in his 30s nail Tom Cruise's missus plus the rights to Arthur Miller's 1940s award-winner? Said Eric Falkenstein:

"I produced 'The Crucible' six years ago. Since both plays speak to Miller's concerns about the country, next season was timely for 'All My Sons.' His condemnation of the war is almost statesmanlike. I prepared well. Reread the play. I also shared something with his daughter, Rebecca. We both attended Rumsey Hall, the same junior high in Connecticut. And she realized my passion for the play.

"As for Katie, director Simon McBurney, my casting director and I came up with a list of names. Katie's not really a celebrity type. She's done brilliant work in films like 'Pieces of April' and 'The Ice Storm.' And is perfect for the role. 'Ann' starts as a simple, sweet, average Midwesterner, and by the finale gets up the gumption to stand and confront what's wrong. A natural sweetheart who can sniff out phonies, Katie basically has that exact moral fiber.

"She's represented by a team at CAA who knew me from past productions, so it just took time - about four months - to work out. There were also family issues. She and Tom are committed to keeping the family together, so they have to get an apartment here.

"As a producer on 'Long Day's Journey Into Night,' believe me, I've worked with touchy characters. She's not. She's a student. Inquisitive. Took notes at our first table-read. Asked questions. Loves being around theater people. When she signed on she came here to a bare rehearsal room for a read-through. She didn't ask for anything. She was just sweet and deferential."

Rehearsals begin this summer. After the Tonys there's a theater shakeout, so they'll know if it's the Belasco, Longacre, Walter Kerr, Barrymore, whatever. Wanted is a fairly large 1,200-seater. Opening's mid-October. They do not plan to up the ticket price. And hers is a limited 16-week engagement.

Avi by xclover