View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 AM
kaykayelle
Master Fan

Someone besides me watched the episode! Hazzah!

Anyway, with the whole Martin thing, I think they banished him (besides Tyler going to college) because they wanted to show that he was taking responsibility for his child. And then, with Ruthie being in love with him, I think it's more about her trying to grow up now. I think she feels like Martin is so much older than her and doing such adult things, especially compared to her at the moment, that she needed to wait. That was sort of what the writers were doing, making her wait, giving her an interim boyfriend to fill in while we saw that Ruthie had grown up and could warrant have a relationship with Martin.

But on some level, I don't think they would work anymore, as much as I would like them to. To quote Grey's, Martin's all "dark and twisty inside" and Ruthie really isn't. She hasn't had anything life-altering really happen to her yet, she hasn't felt things like that. That's why Martin and Jane, as pointless as they are, make sense. Divorce, homeless, drug parents. Martin: Teen father, college early, dead mother. Equal. Ruthie's not there yet.

Anyway, this went off into a big rant. But my overall point was that I think the writers are actually doing this right when you think about it from a real-life perspective. Ruthie and Martin aren't at the same place in their lives right now, not even close. She needs to wait and T-Bone was the way for her to do that without just moping around pining over Martin and without her having no storylines besides "wah, I miss Scotland."

TVsodes.com- a TV episode review blog for fans by fan. - One Tree Hill, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Gossip Girl, Project Runway, and more. NOW WITH PODCAST