View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 11:18 AM
xkellyx
Master Fan

Album talk in new interview. She answered our question!

Quote:
You took off the entire summer to unplug in Montana, and now you’re in New York to film the premiere week of your show. How does it feel being back?

I had some time, finally. I’ve never had a summer off since I was, like, 16, and I was like, “I need it off.” I think that created the space for me to really have time to go, “What am I comfortable with? What do I want to release?” So I’m working on my album this week. It’s coming out next year. And this is an important album. I’m working on this in therapy: I have a hard time vocalizing what I’m feeling sometimes, so music is helpful for me. It’s just been really healing. I recorded the record quite some time ago.

How long were you working on it?

Two years. When my ex and I first separated, there were many emotions. It was hard. My producer and I were laughing yesterday because I was like, “Remember that time we wrote, like, 25 songs in a week?” A lot of those are the ones that are on the album. I literally wrote most of these almost two years ago. Then I told my label, “I can’t talk about this until I’ve gone through it,” and it’s just taken some time to do that. That’s one of the reasons we’ve done a lot of Christmas stuff the past two years — because I was like, “Well, that’s happy!”

Were you planning on recording a new album, or were you just channeling what you were going through in writing, and then realized that it should probably be an album?

I hadn’t really been working hardcore on an album until I needed to. I was just very busy. There were so many jobs, and I’m a single mom — well, even with being married, it’s a lot, trying to fit kids’ schedules in and all that stuff. But then the whole divorce thing happened, and I needed to write it. And then I didn’t know if I was going to release it, because you can be very angry in that state of mind. So some of the songs, they definitely cover the gamut of emotions; there’s everything on the album. It’s almost like the arc of a relationship, because the beginning is so beautiful and so sweet, and then it evolves. And sometimes it doesn’t evolve how you want.

A talk show is a grind. Did you even have time to work on an album over the past few years?

No. There wasn’t time. And not just because of the talk show, but also because of “The Voice” and “American Song Contest.” I like to be busy in general. But especially when all the feelings are happening, I’m like, “Oh, let’s be as busy a bee as we can, so I don’t have to feel this for a minute!” I do that, which is not healthy. I was like, “I just need to keep swimming like Dory, and then I’ll get there.” That’s why taking this summer was so important to me, even though a lot of people were kind of bummed because I was supposed to do a couple of things. Obviously, I stepped down on “The Voice” this season, because I just needed the space.

You’re not doing “The Voice.” But that show is designed so that the coaches can take seasons off to go on tour or record music or whatnot. Is it safe to say you’ll be back?

I definitely … [Laughs] Um, I probably will be back at “The Voice” at some point. I might be back at “The Voice.”

You might be back? So does that mean the season after next?

I mean, I don’t know! [Laughs ]

Typically, a new album comes with a tour.

I definitely am going to do shows. We’re figuring that out. I sing almost every day because of the show, even though it’s always other people’s music. So I feel like I’m checking that box. But when you write an album that’s so personal, it’s just therapeutic to be able to get up there.

How will a tour work with your talk-show schedule?

The only way it fits in is summer. At this point in my career, the way I’m going to do it may not be the norm, but I’m going do it anyway. I know there are other guys and girls out there that have been through this kind of breakup who are going to need to scream at the top of their lungs — you can come and join me. I don’t go out in L.A. except to see shows: I saw Harry Styles, who is incredible. The Chicks were incredible. Ray LaMontagne was so good, I felt like I didn’t have any talent. Anyway, that just inspired me to get back out there on the road, especially for this album. I think it’s important.

Last edited by xkellyx; 09-10-2022 at 04:53 AM
xkellyx is offline   Reply With Quote