View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 03:36 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Jerry, my mom immediately noticed this when she would walk in on me watching an episode around S3 and on. She hated it. She mentioned she didn't like her acting style but also said she thought Katie was playing Joey completely different compared to her S1 portrayal and didn't like it.
Your mom was very perceptive. I'll always think that the attention that Katie Holmes/Joey got on the show went to her head and she just started to rely on cutesy mannerisms and mugging for the camera, especially when she was with Pacey, while in Season One (which was filmed in its entirety before the first episode aired) she was an unknown (along with the rest of the cast) and she had better material to work with, so she actually acted in that season and some of her performances showed potential, but that potential was wasted once she became the IT Girl of the show.

Quote:
It makes sense. You had to. I felt compelled to keep watching just because I wanted a wrong corrected.
I know exactly what you mean, but I'm glad that we both hung in there as we got to meet each other and I was able to tell you about Everwood.

Quote:
Exactly. Instead of showing a girl from New York in a good way... confident, smart, interesting... Jen had to be depicted in the worst way possible. Having her very own grandmother go there as well was as bad as it gets.
It was really a disgrace how Jen was treated by everyone, and most epsecially her grandmother. That later changed thankfully, but I also think that they had Grams change too much. It was nice to see her realize what a special person Jen was and I loved when she defended her to her daughter (Jen's mother) but some of the other changes she went through were completely unrealistic.

Quote:
Precisely. We know Berlanti knew better. See Everwood. Who knows why Dawson's Creek was so careless.
I think it was because everyone involved never expected the show to become a hit and get renewed, so Williamson only put his heart and soul into Season One, and after that, he largely left the show in Paul Stupin's incompetent hands and then he left the show entirely in Season Two.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy