View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 08:05 AM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Yes, overall it was disgusting how she was generally constructed. Of course.

But at the same time she never had a really good storyline. She was singing to her mugger! Embarrassing. That’s not her own quality storyline. Her character was never fleshed out. She had zero relationships with her sister or nephew. We never saw anything outside of which guy she wanted to be with. One Tree Hill did a way better job of writing female characters and it’s not even close.

In the end, she was reduced to what man she ended up with.

I don’t feel sorry for her in the least. I started hating the character in S2 and it only got worse given how Katie’s acting changed and she decided to play Joey post-S1.

But the truth is, Joey Potter, who was the main female character, never received quality storylines or balance in the least. It was all centered around her romantic life. That is essentially how she was defined. Talk about misogynistic. Truth is, with Andie we found out she went on and became a successful physician, an independent woman... the reality is Andie got the better ending. I like this fact.
I completely agree with everything you've said here. Joey wasn't fleshed out as a character, and she was defined by her romantic relationships and nothing else. In the end, the show came down to which guy she would be with, and like I said in my previous post, she became nothing more than a "prize" to be "won" by Dawson or Pacey. Like you said, talk about misogynistic!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy