View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 07:33 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I absolutely loved this incredibly heartwarming episode, which brought us back to the core of what made Everwood so unique and special – The themes of love, friendship, and family, as the lives of some of our favorite characters intersected in a wonderful way in what for some of them was the perfect day.
I think that's why we can forget about the vile toxicity that is Andy/Amanda in this episode... there was a S1 feel to this episode and even their gross affair wasn't going to prevent us from enjoying the other storylines. I guess in a way Andy's behavior even if it's the worst of the worst at the moment still ties into a very flawed Andy Brown which we viewed in S1.

Quote:
I really enjoyed seeing all these characters over the course of a day, and how they switched back and forth, telling different stories as the day wore on.
It was such a uniquely constructed episode.

Quote:
We saw Bright walk in to the Abbott house with his new “girlfriend” of the day, week or month, Jillian, a co-worker that he introduced to his “punk sister” Amy, and then Hannah walked in, and jealous, she told Jillian that she thought her name might be Barbie. Amy then told Hannah to “breathe” as her infatuation with Bright continued, and Hannah made a remark about Bright liking perfect looking women, and she tried to feign indifference, but Amy knew she was upset.
I think Bright has horrible taste. Even without Hannah looking at them, Jillian was an idiot. She looked like her IQ was missing. LOL.

Quote:
Amy mentioned that Ephram’s audition tape for Julliard was done, and that her nightmare was officially over and that Ephram's probably just hanging out, relaxing, with a big old smile on his face, but back at the Brown house, Ephram, being Ephram, was obsessing over which tape to send in with Andy, but this father and son moment was interrupted by the Hawaii Five-O theme song, which Andy had set as a ringer for phone calls from Amanda, ruining the moment as he stepped outside to talk to her. My stomach turned as Amanda planned to come home early without Charlie and pick her up at the airport and take the day off so they could continue their illicit affair.
To go from a father/son moment to gross Amanda makes you want to poke your eyes out.

Quote:
We then saw Ephram pick up Amy in his car and he suggested that they ditch school, setting off a day of adventure for them.
Such a cute scene.

Quote:
We saw an elated Harold walking to work with Louise as Harold was overjoyed that Andy wouldn’t be in the office that day, but his elation immediately ended when he opened his office door and he found that the waterline had frozen and burst, and this set off a very different type of adventure for Harold.
Harold should learn these things are just meant to happen to him.

Quote:
We saw Ephram and Amy at the diner teasing each other, but they quickly ran out of ideas for their “ditch day” and Amy decided that they needed backup.
I love how we visibly see the mountains in that scene. So perfect.

Quote:
Andy decided to bring Amanda to his house after he picked her up at the airport, thinking that the coast was clear, but Nina observed Amanda going into Andy’s house, and she confronted Andy about his openly having an affair with a married woman, and that somewhere along the line she (Nina) had stopped being his best friend and that he had taken up homewrecking, and for the first time since she knew him, she wished that she didn’t know him. The plot quickly thickened as Andy saw a robe clad Jake coming out of Nina’s house, and Andy looked shocked and dismayed, but he had no one to blame for this turn of events but himself.
Disgusting. Nina spoke for the audience.

Quote:
We saw Harold ask Edna to borrow Jake’s office so he could treat some of his patients, but Edna refused, only to be overruled by Jake.
Great scene.

Quote:
We saw Andy complain about Nina and Jake to Amanda, and how Nina looked down on him for having an affair with her, and Amanda tried to alleviate his guilty feelings about their affair, but those feelings weren’t going away.
If Amanda wasn't thinking about manipulating to get him to Vermont she might have been like Jake and picked up on the feelings between Andy and Nina.

Quote:
We saw Amy “kidnap” a reluctant Hannah and then they “kidnapped” Bright when Hannah went to his office and she tearfully told him that she had accidentally run over “Mr. Jingles,” and Bright, going along with the ruse, took up his boss’ offer to take some personal time, and he told Jillian that he had to go to a funeral but that he would see her tonight.
Such great scenes.

Quote:
We saw Harold and Edna bickering as Jake left for the day but then a woman came in with a bunch of sick kids, one of who threw up on Harold’s shoes, and mother and son were forced to work together.
I loved finding out they would be alone working together.

Quote:
Back at the den of iniquity, Amanda suggested to Andy that they go to Vermont the following weekend and that it would be her treat, but Andy said that their going away together would be a big step for them, but Amanda unreasonably said that she wanted more from their relationship and from Andy than she was getting, ignoring the fact that she was still married, and she left in a huff.
I cannot stand her.

Quote:
I liked seeing Bright, Hannah, Ephram and Amy walking along and enjoying each other’s company, but then Amy got in another dig about Ephram going to see Madison, and both Bright and Hannah were tired of hearing about it.
I love that Amy made it known this still bothered her.

Quote:
We then saw Hannah tell everyone the truth about her father and the reason she had come to Everwood, and we saw Bright embrace Hannah and he said he was sorry, but Hannah turned away from him crying as she was ashamed of herself for telling everyone about her father to elicit a sympathetic response from Bright.
I also loved the serious and concerned reactions from both Ephram and Bright when they found out.

Quote:
We saw Nina venting about Andy to Jake, and Jake realized that Andy was the “high school guy” that she had feelings for but who she couldn’t tell her feelings to, and Jake told her that Andy was a surgeon and those guys are all ego, and that they had a tendency to put themselves first, and when Nina apologized to him, he said that she needed to straighten things out with Andy.
I still believe the writers knew eventually Jake was playing a big role in getting Andy and Nina together which is why they had him find out very quickly. It was never for a triangle of sorts. If it was, we would have actually had a triangle. We do somewhat way later but not right away. I believe the writers wanted Jake to find out early on because eventually he would play a part.

Quote:
I liked the conversation that Hannah and Amy had as Hannah admitted that she told the story about her father so that Bright would feel sorry for her and like her, and that she was jealous of all the other girls that she saw Bright with and that she knew that he would never look at her the way he looked at them, so she decided to try another way to get him to notice her and pay attention to her. I liked that she called Amy out for continuing to berate Ephram about going to see Madison, and just like how Amy told her she had no reason to be jealous of the other girls that she had seen Bright with, Amy had no reason to be jealous of Madison, and that while Amy had given lip service to forgiving Ephram, she really hadn’t forgiven Ephram, but she really needed to forgive him and stop her passive-aggressive behavior with him, or else they would break up, and Hannah knew that Amy didn’t want that, and her and Amy hugged each other.
Beautiful stuff.

Quote:
I loved how Harold and Edna worked together as a team to treat all those patients, and the years of resentment that had built up between them seemed to melt away, if only for a short while, and I love seeing Edna smile at Harold.

I liked Andy and Nina’s conversation as she followed Jake’s advice to make amends with him, and I loved her honesty with Andy as she asked him to look at what he had been doing dating-wise since Julia died, and it seemed to her that he was making it his mission to seek out unavailable women like Dr. Trott, and Linda, and now Amanda, and that he couldn’t get involved with anyone unless the relationship had no future, and that he needed to check in with himself and if he continued what he was doing he might end up all alone, but Andy, still punishing himself for the way he had neglected Julia during their marriage, said that maybe he deserved to be alone because he had a good thing going with Julia and he screwed it up, but she told him that he deserved to be happy and to stop punishing himself and to fall in love with someone who could really love him back.

I loved the conversation that Bright and Ephram had about Hannah, and I loved how this scene perfectly illustrated the differences between these two young men, as the ever dour Ephram talked about how life had dealt them a bad hand and that tragedy was the only thing they had in common, and that they all had to deal with what they had to deal with, but Bright, ever the optimist, said that at least they all found each other and that they were all friends, and that there was a silver lining in everything that happened and that Ephram just didn’t see it, and that Ephram’s experience with losing Julia enabled him to help Amy through losing Colin, and that they could help Hannah get through what she was having to go through with dealing with her father’s fatal illness. I loved seeing Bright’s optimistic spirit in this scene, and I loved seeing a side of him that we didn’t get to see too frequently as he was often used for comic relief on the show.

I loved seeing the mutual respect and admiration that Edna and Harold showed each other as they finished treating all of those sick patients as they shared a drink from a bottle of Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch that his father kept hidden for emergencies and special occasions, as they toasted “to beefsteak when you're hungry, whiskey when you're dry, to all the girls you'd ever want and heaven when you die. Cheers”. I loved seeing them reminisce about how he started working with his father and her and how terrified he was in the beginning, but that they were both patient with him, and he thanked her for staying, and she said that she wouldn’t have it any other way, and I cried watching that scene, and I’m crying writing about it now.
All of these moments were so bang on and special.

Quote:
We saw Andy go to see Amanda and she admitted that she was a married woman and she wasn’t acting that way, and I hoped that she would have ended their affair right then and there, but Andy, ignoring Nina’s advice, told her that he didn’t want to stop seeing her and he wanted everything that they could have together.
This was a disgusting twist.

I hate how so many episodes show Andy and Amanda as possibly ending the affair only for it not to happen. The audience is left exhausted wondering over and over again when the nightmare will end. We're afraid to go back to sleep in case of experiencing another nightmare!

Quote:
I loved the final scene with Ephram, Amy, Hannah, and Bright, just having fun, and I loved that Bright ignored Jillian’s phone call to spend more time with Hannah and everyone else. I also loved Ephram and Amy final conversation as he apologized for being such a downer that day but she said that he was “just being you, but that’s okay because I love you”. I also loved seeing Hannah’s journal entry as she wrote to her father and she said that it was amazing how the smallest things could change your entire outlook and that today had been the perfect day.
One of my favorite scenes of the series.

Quote:
Overall, I absolutely loved this episode, minus the Andy and Amanda parts, and I thought it was one of the best episodes of the season.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote