View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 01:17 PM
Jerry D
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by break the window (View Post)
The death of Mitch Leery....waterworks. I knew the character had died and how he died, so that wasn't a surprise. But I forgot all the little scenes of Gail reminded Dawson to go out and get milk and then realized that was why Mitch went out the night he died was to get milk and Gail exploded her grief into the sink. I really felt that. It's the little things that remind you of why the bad things happened and just take you by surprise and shake the life out of you where all you can do is fall apart. I thought that episode was done really well, surprisingly. I always did wonder if that's why Mitch and Gail reunited and had Lily. Was it because the actor wanted to leave and the writers always wanted to see the somewhat, at one time, perfect couple reunite and plan to be together forever? Then Gail remarries, whatever his name and then you barely see him passed the first episode where Dawson realizes that his mother is moving on with another man.
John Wesley Shipp, who played Mitch, wanted off of the show because they had gone on to the college years for the teenage characters and he felt like his role was being marginalized, so they killed him off to create drama and allow the characters to reflect on how important he was in their lives (not just Dawson).

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy