View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 12:22 AM
atwoodsmariano
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
So I was reading the comments on this article regarding the trailer: HERE - and I figured out why this remake is giving me bad vibes

The depiction of the Jets. You can tell from the gritty cinematography, their dirty clothes and Riff's voice-over dialogue that Spielberg is deliberately portraying them as the enemy. The sole villains.

I don't get the same sense of even ground between the two sides as I did in the 1961 version. All you see in the new trailer is the Sharks surrounded by colors, out dancing in the street (when the hell did that happen exactly? ) and all the focus on them being happy-go-lucky. Yeah, the Jets were always misbehaving but they had a motive in the original - to keep hold of the tiny bit of ground they had to hang out together. "It's all we've got" (Riff). In the new one, it's just "let's go to war." Ehhhh Riff wouldn't say that to Tony. He just wanted his support in all things Jets. They were brothers first and foremost.

The Jets are supposed to be young boys, acting naive and having fun, not just being brutal.

It just feels so far from the original vision of the story that I'm not feeling good about it. Maybe I'm being too pessimistic but I just didn't like the one-way traffic of the trailer.
you make good points Gwen about the Jets

I’m actually planning on re-watching the original movie soon with my mom because she hasn’t seen it

also I saw some people making points about how they didn’t like the change of the Jets’s nationality from Polish to Irish - do you have any thoughts on that Gwen?

although looking it up before Irish was the nationality in the original story?

Quote:
West Side Story was – in the very early stages of its creation – called East Side Story. Set on the Lower East Side of Manhattan during Passover, it featured conflict between an Irish Catholic family and a Jewish one. The Jewish girl – who eventually became the Puerto Rican Maria in West Side Story – was a holocaust survivor who had immigrated from Israel. The character that eventually became Tony – the Polish-Irish Catholic boy in West Side Story – was an Irish Catholic.
https://artsandculture.google.com/th...GAKyv0zBzGICJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)

Ehhh I'm underwhelmed. I just don't get that excitement factor I got watching the original cast. I know it's just a trailer, but a trailer can be enough sometimes.

Also, I still feel that Rita Moreno playing a gender-bending Doc character is such a cop-out. Very indicative of the times we're in. Guess that's the only way they could secure her an Executive credit.
actually I wasn’t that interested in watching the remake but then I saw a TV special on it last Friday that made me more interested

and I hadn’t seen the trailer yet so I did that too last week and it did make me more interested too

I think the cast looks good especially the ones for Maria and Anita in my opinion but of course nothing compares to the original

also I’ve never liked Ansel ever since the first time I ever saw him in anything back in 2014 in Divergent and since then I still don’t like him (he kinda ruins the movie for me) - if they had picked a different actor to play Tony I would probably be more interested than I already am

I agree

Last edited by atwoodsmariano; 12-08-2021 at 12:53 AM
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote