View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 08:36 PM
BehrItAll
Fan Forum Star

I finished The Firebird.

This novel is a sequel to The Winter Sea, in a way. Anna is the daughter of two of the characters in TWS. Since I just read an ARC of the prequel to TWS, The Vanished Days I thought to stay in the same universe and listen to The Firebird.

I really did enjoy The Firebird. Katherine Kellgren was a perfect narrator for this story. She was excellent at the range of accents and even did well with the male voices.

I really liked the developing relationship of Nicola and Rob. He was like her Jedi teacher. They were also really funny. I found myself laughing at times.

I liked the parts in Russia and learning about that part of history. I don't know if it's because it felt like more chapters were spent in the past but I found myself more invested in the characters and relationships of that time period.

Susanna always adds a "twist". I guessed one of them
Spoiler:
and the other totally got me by surprise
Spoiler:
But even though it got me by surprise, I don't feel like it was a jaw dropping reveal. Not like the reveal in The Winter Sea and The Vanished Days.

As much as I enjoyed this novel I didn't love it as much as I love The Winter Sea. I was a little let down by the reveal about the Firebird. There was such a big lead up and it almost felt like it was an afterthought or footnote thrown in at the end.

Also, I can't put my finger on it, but something was missing. Like there wasn't much suspense.

Of the trilogy, I would rank them:

1) The Winter Sea
2) The Vanished Days
3) The Firebird

4 out of 5 Ancient Artifacts.