View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 05:37 PM
DR76
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
I quite like Michael as a character. I'm not sure how realistic it was to have somebody who committed munity be given a second chance, but I'm glad that she was and the storyline made it plausible. I admire that Michael is so sure of her personal convictions, but the fact that she threw it away again by disobeying a direct order surely is her own personal choice. For there not to have been consequences for her actions would be completely unbelievable.
First of all, it bothers me that the Trek franchise has to go down this route again with Michael's character - two seasons after the first time. What the hell is this? Are they trying to say that this is part of her character? That she's not qualified to be a captain, let alone a first officer? Interesting message for the first woman of color who is the lead in a Trek show.

Second of all - Sylvia Tilly as the new XO? Seriously? Over all of those Bridge officers who are more qualified for the position? Michael's second act of mutiny is not a good excuse for the writers to pull this dumb stunt. And it was dumb. The fact that so many Trek fans have no problems with this really says something about this franchise and its fans. Something very ugly.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
DR76 is offline   Reply With Quote