Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 10:23 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Last Samurai (2003) #1

I'm surprised there is no thread for this since the film comes out today (it was moved up from its original December 25th release).

Summary - Set in Japan during the 1870s, The Last Samurai tells the story of Capt. Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise), an American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare.

As the government attempts to eradicate the ancient Samurai warrior class in preparation for more Westernized and trade-friendly policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly affected by his encounters with the Samurai, which places him at the center of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honor to guide him.

(taken from movieweb.com)

I've read the screenplay by John Logan and it is REALLY good. With all the cynical movie fans -- myself included -- Who are sick of remakes and "been there done that" this one looks to be truly unique in that while the story may seem familiar (Shogun meets Dances with Wolves), I think this one is going to resonate with audiences especailly right now as the main character represents how a lot of people feel lost and how they have to come to terms with what they once thought their nation/country stood for and the reality of what it really is so to speak.

Here are few more pics courtesy of movieweb.com:

UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Master Fan

I think there's no thread because people expect this to be an over-the-top bust, including myself.

And yet, I'm a not-so-closet Tom fan, and LOVE Japanese culture, so I'll definitely catch it on DVD.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 08:31 PM
New Fan

I normally don't post on Fan Forum too much because I have more time to lurk than to post, but I felt I should at least say something about this movie, since I did see it this afternoon.

I went really wanting to see this movie. I had high expectations and I think they were met. Tom Cruise does a magnificent job, and while he doesn't start out so brilliant, he really grows into the role and is absolutely masterful by the end. The Japanese actors brought in are wonderful, especially Koyuki and Ken Watanabe. The ending battle is beautiful. It moved me to tears. The themes that carry through are powerful and have a wonderful culmination at the end. The score...well, it's Hans Zimmer of "Gladiator" and "Lion King" fame; of course the score is great. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Really, I recommend people to see it. Yes, it is obvious that a lot of money went into it and etc, but at it's core, IMO, it's still a very beautiful and moving movie, both for women and men alike.
Riverrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>I think there's no thread because people expect this to be an over-the-top bust, including myself.</STRONG>
You may be right, unfortunately, since I know a lot of people were expecting a Christmas Day release and all of a sudden it's three weeks early which means they won't know it's out (I still don't know why they moved up; there's not very many movies on Christmas that this one couldn't have faired well imo).

I think this ties in with our "no originality" in Hollywood discussion because it's rare gems like this that ARE good that are produced by a big mainstream studio... Yet no one is going to see it possibly. Hmm...

Riverrun

I'm glad you liked the movie [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Like I said, I am going to see it, but having read the screenplay -- and knowing how different finished films can be from screenplays -- I already know I like the story, so the reason I'm going to see it for is to see how what I read is executed as well as what was changed in the final product.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Extreme Fan

I saw it! I thought it was really good and Tom Cruise did an awesome job it it. It was a big tearjerker too. But I think it was definately worth the money! I would also recomend it to everyone else [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one that saves me
And afterall
You're my wonderwall
crazy4TheCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Passionate Fan

THis was a really good movie! Actually worth my money and worth seeing. I am a movie junkie, so few films impress me, but this was excellent!
Old 12-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not a big fan of going to the movies but I'll catch it on DVD. I'm glad so many people have liked it.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

Uh no bust... this movie kicked ass. And kicked ass again.
Dark Half Undine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Riverrun:
<STRONG>I normally don't post on Fan Forum too much because I have more time to lurk than to post, but I felt I should at least say something about this movie, since I did see it this afternoon.

I went really wanting to see this movie. I had high expectations and I think they were met. Tom Cruise does a magnificent job, and while he doesn't start out so brilliant, he really grows into the role and is absolutely masterful by the end. The Japanese actors brought in are wonderful, especially Koyuki and Ken Watanabe. The ending battle is beautiful. It moved me to tears. The themes that carry through are powerful and have a wonderful culmination at the end. The score...well, it's Hans Zimmer of "Gladiator" and "Lion King" fame; of course the score is great. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Really, I recommend people to see it. Yes, it is obvious that a lot of money went into it and etc, but at it's core, IMO, it's still a very beautiful and moving movie, both for women and men alike.</STRONG>
It's cool that you came out of lurkdom.

But I think I'll wait until DVD (yes, I'll definitely see it, and I should watch it on the big screen, but...)

My LJ for Movies
Old 12-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Elite Fan

Shr I know, DVD sounds yummier anyway! I'm lazy!

And that poster is almost exactly(oxymoron!) like Gladiator's! Just, Russell looked better. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Elite Fan

I've not seen it yet and I'll more than likely wait for DVD, but does it seem to anybody else that Tom did this movie only to gain Oscar buzz? The last few movies he has done seemed to me like he was so obviously trying to get an Oscar, guess so he could catch up with Nicole. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img]Nikki [img]smilies/sun.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

I just got back from seeing the movie this evening and I was blown away.

It is a truly moving story that rises above similar stories like "Dances With Wolves" and "Shogun" and tries to offer a little more than the same old stereotypes that west-meets-east movies usually serve up as "historical fact".

What impressed me most was the fact that it knows it's a big budget "Tom Cruise" movie... But it doesn't play out like one, nor does it delve into the realm of unbelievability or predictability as many might think.

Anyway, I highly recommend you see it on the big screen because historical battle epics like this is exactly what going to the movies was made for with earlir movies like "El Cid" and the upcoming "Troy".

Rockstar

The Tom Cruise/Gladiator-style poster is only one of three that I chose for this thread. Head on over to movieweb and check out the alternative ones that don't feature him [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

Huh...well, maybe I'll see it on the big screen...
You've almost convinced me.

*psst - Nikki, I don't like Russel. Sorry, sweets!* [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

My LJ for Movies
Old 12-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Elite Fan

Shr I know you don't! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

UnsilentMajorty yeah, I figured since all movies have like 2 posters this one had to had 2 or more also. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Big name, big movie.

That's one of the best things about movies like this one, the many posters. Remember Dirty Dancing? That one had one for every country. I've gone OT. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

I saw a trailed for this film at the cinema the other day and I was surprised that it actually looked quite good. Don't think I'll be rushing to see it but I may rent it when it comes out on video.