Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Strong Women Characters in Films/ Which Ones Have Them?

Female roles in films can usually be divided into a small number of categories:

The Sexpot- Her purpose in the film is visual. She is sexy and beautiful, and her role is a secondary counterpoint to the strong male lead.

The Neurotic, controlling harridan.- Controls people through manipulation and intimidation. Often angry and emasculating. Excellent examples are the Joan Crawford role in "Mommy Dearest", and Nurse Ratched in "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest".

The practically invisible helpmeet.- Whether married or not, this woman is lost without a man. The male lead is the focus of the movie, where the woman is an also-ran. She usually calls on the man for help in a tight spot.

The Strong, Actualized Woman- Although this type of woman has been played in films for quite some time (Kate Hepburn comes to mind) we are beginning to see more and more of this type of woman in the movies. Her life is run on her terms. She may have a man, but he is a complement, and not the focus of her life. She lives life on her own terms.

What good films have you seen lately that portray the strong self sufficient woman?

Women- Do you relate to these women?

Men- What is your "take" on portraying of women as strong, self- sufficient individuals?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Elite Fan

Well, the first name that popped into my head was Velma Kelly but thats because I just watched Chicago. As a girl I like seeing characters like that although the fantasy does overtake the situation.

I will have think about it and comeback.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited ROCKSTAR ]
Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Lee Holloway in Secretary--Very complex, starts off a total neurotic victim who cuts herself, then discovers her sexuality and in turn becomes the woman she wants to be.

Lorel in Jerry Maguire--Funny, Stong, Independant, Caring and Protective of her little sister. Awesome chick!

Marcy in Jerry Maguire--See above, except totally committed to her family and husband realising his potential. What was it about Jerry Maguire women? Must've been written by a chick.

Penny Laine in Almost Famous--Knows exactly what she's doing, and not afraid to wear her heart on her sleeve. Gorgeous and heartbreaking.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:34 PM
Master Fan

Eowyn - Lord of the Rings. I just love her, she is my favorite female character ever!

It's a Sarkney thing, you wouldn't understand...
Atti's Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Wonderful topic. Just to let you know, my list isn't just physical strength, but emotional and brain power!

-Eowyn(Miranda Otto), Return of the King
-Audrey Hepburn, The Nun's Story
-Reese Witherspoon, Legally Blond
-Grace Kelly, Rear Window
-Elizibeth(Kiera Knightly), Pirates of the Caribbean
-Cate Blanchett, Veronica Guerin

There are so many more...I can't think of the rest...
Old 01-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

Eowyn (LOTR) and Elizabeth (PoTC) were the first two that popped into my head. Those women are forces to be reckoned with. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited dixieland_dreamer ]

Jen | tumblr
dixieland_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Master Fan

Oh, FANTASTIC thread topic!

I noticed this in my early developing years - mostly as an undergrad - and the specific roles that come to mind are both in James Cameron films, if you can believe that: Sara Connor in the first Terminator film, and Sigourney Weaver's character in Aliens.

Both of these women started off as weak, average women - basically you're girl next door in the case of Sara Connor - and in the end, they prevail, without the help of their male counterpart who dies in both films (and is interestingly played by the same actor). In the end, it's just woman against machine/monster, and it's powerful to see her develop strength and survival instincts, the metaphor or implication being that life begins with women, not men, and that while the men are necessary to procreate, etc., they do not determine survival.

Then James Cameron made Titanic and I lost all respect for him (even though his female lead is strikingly similar to those listed above, it was such a smaltzy film that I just couldn't forgive him).

There are wonderful female characters from the 80s and 90s - like those often played by actors like Christina Ricci (I can't think of the film) - but I can't think of any currently that I would find powerful enough to find inspirational.

Sure, I like women in some of these roles, but as inspiration to other women? Can't think of any...

Edited because I thought about it and realized that the current version is quite different - at least those that I find appealing. I like the tough chick who's powerful, talented, brilliant, and SEXY - women like the Charlie's Angels gang and the Lara Croft character. They're not afraid to have men in their life, wear lipstick, what have you, but they don't NEED men - they just like men.

And I have to add that while they're definitely not deep roles by any means, I do like what Reese Witherspoon (can we say Freeway? YES!) and Sandra Bullock often do in films is similar, but a little more independent.

Seriously dramatic roles, though? I don't know...

Edited AGAIN because I totally concur with sarzy's list - now those are some powerful women - and some of them grow into such in their films, even though they start off as somewhat dependent and weak.

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited shrrshrr ]

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Definitely Eowyn in ROTK, she has to be one of my all-time fave characters now. And not just 'cos I adore Miranda Otto. But I was so proud to see it was her playing such a strong character [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Alongside Kate Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck also played a lot of strong characters, one of the reasons I admire her work so much.

Irene Dunne in I Remember Mama also deserves a mention [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Master Fan

The Sexpot- Monica Belluci in The Matrix.

The practically invisible helpmeet.- Live Tyler in the LOTR Movies. She seemed kinda weepy and sad whenever Aragorn wasnt around.

The Strong, Actualized Woman- The first thing I though of was Kate Beckinsales character in Underworld. I like this type of female in the movies and I am seeing more of it.
icon *
Pavlov's Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm on a wonky connection, so I'll list for now and most definitely come back to this ASAP! I mean, I can't not!

Oooh, Sarzy! Lee Holloway is an excellent character there. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Karen Sisco (J-Lo) in "Out of Sight". I'm not a big J-Lo fan. Nope. But I basically just enjoyed Karen for some reason only known to God.
- Mulan (voiced by Ming-na). Need I say more? She was awesome! Despite her failure to please her family in a "traditional" sense, she was able to end up saving her country by acting in a very "non-traditional" manner.
- Bethany (Linda Fiorentino) in "Dogma". She was reluctant at first to join up and defeat the forces of evil, but she ended up doing that anyway. Obviously the fact that she worked in an abortion clinic was quite the irony, but it worked on me, so whatever.
- Vianne (Juliette Binoche) in "Chocolat". I loved her costumes, her ability to reach out to people, and the strength and courage she had to do her own thing and open up the chocolaterie despite the conservative village she lived in.
- The Bride (Uma Thurman) in "Kill Bill: Vol. 1"./Jackie Brown (Pam Grier) in "Jackie Brown". Basically, my Tarantino (read: Ass-Kicking) chicks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
- any of the mothers in "The Joy Luck Club"
- Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh), "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". Almost the same as Mulan, except she was willing to take a chance on/for love. Sort of.

--Rach [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited batmite3 ]
Old 01-20-2004, 08:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) - She's one of my favorite female characters ever. She isn't superwoman, doesn't have any extra strength or extraordinary skills, but she has the courage to fight instead of wait on the sidelines. I absolutely loved her face off with the Witch King. That scene proved not all strength is physical. The fact that she faced him down says everything about her. "I am no man."

Trinity & Niobe (Matrix) - These two are examples of strong women, both mentally and physically. Neo may be the "One" and Morpheus may be the leader, but Trinity's love for Neo kept him going. She was strong, and continued to be strong even after she fell in love with Neo. Niobe didn't get as much development, but her character struck me as someone like Trinity. Extremely capable and independent.

Leia (Star Wars) - She may have been a princess, but she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty. She didn't cry in the corner while Han and Luke were rescuing her, or break down in fear of Tarkin or Vader aboard the Death Star.

Just to name a few.

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Eowyn was the first one to come to my mind. Would does'nt love it when a woman kicks ass like the way she does? I love that she stands up for what she believes in and actually does something about it. I don't know if I have that quality but I definately aspire to be someone like that.

I would also say Hau Mulan. I'm really REALLY looking forward to the movie production with Michelle Yeoh. I think it will be even better than the disney cartoon. Her father is too old and brother is too young to fight in the war. So she dresses up as a man and takes their place. Leads some of the troops on the battlefield. Can't wait to see it!

[ 01-21-2004: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Elite Fan

I don't remember her name but the Spanish beauty in "Y Tu Mama Tambien". She was a strong female character for more than one reason!

I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone whos planning to see it so I won't say anymore.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Loyal Fan

This is a brilliany topic - I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] lee Holloway - I thought she was a fantastic character as a strong woman who turned herself around and became this bold strong courageous woman and as a bonus found love.

Molly Ringwald in Pretty in Pink - i think she is a great example of a girl who is independant, caring when she takes care of her father and doesnt put up with james Spaders S**t , and is so brave that she faces the prospect of going to the prom alone infront of all the people that make her feel she is nothing.

J-Lo in Enouhg - I think this is one of her best roles where she really stands up for herself,she doesnt back away from her hustband - she kicks ass. Showing that mentally and phsically she wont be bullied.

"You look good wearing my future"
Twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:25 AM
Elite Fan

The first thing that popped in my head was Helen Ripley, Aliens series. "get away from her, you BITCH!" heh As well as Vasquez in Aliens.

Also,...
Sex pots - carolina(salma hayek) Desperado

Bring It On - Missy and Torrence