Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Dedicated Fan

Worst Book Adaptation Movie (No Lists)

What do you consider the worst book adaptation movie ever? Why was is so horrible? Was it wayy different from the novel or strickly too close to it? Post your thoughts here

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited Summer Belle ]

You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul. -Julie Jeanne Eleonore de Lespinasse
Summer Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Elite Fan

I'm cheating the question a bit but if you allow me, I have an answer [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

The WORST book to movie adaptation has to be: "Queen of the Damned"

Here's why I'm cheating, I haven't read the book. But close enough I'm familiar with the mythology and shaprt storytelling of Anne Rice and the movies off the game in every way possible!

And of course coming off a delicious adaptation of "Interview with the Vampire" the movie was an embarrasment of all sorts.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Ahh, I could come up with lots for this one. I usually find film adaptations of books to be so-so or terrible. Rarely good. I'll stick with the one film adaptation that stands out though:

The End of the Affair, book by Graham Greene

If I'd seen the movie without having read the book, I have a feeling I would have liked it, because it has good acting & an interesting story. But I had read the book first. And I loved the book, thought it was powerful and intense and thought-provoking.

The movie changed some really important elements from the book, and that completely changed the message of the book to me. The movie kind of wimped out where the book was bold.

I'm assuming this thread is spoiler free, so I don't want to get too specific about either the book or the movie for those who haven't read/seen.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

All of the Jack Ryan films (Tom Clancy books).

They are all pretty bad... But I'm going to "cheat" like Rockstar a bit here and use these films as an example to open up this discussion a little.

The thing about Tom Clancy (in particular) is that he is a very detailed author and realism is his number one goal... But a lot of times, things that are "real" (or how they are really done in the government, military) are actually quite boring... At least for a movie.

This is why I think these books and films are a good example to explore as both "bad" adaptations, but good examples of what makes books and movies two completely different animals.

Movies are visual and audio. That is their primary sensory way they tell their stories. Books (print) is just the opposite. It's all visual, but just a bunch of words on the page. It is the reader's comprehension (and the author's skill) that tells the story.

So, when you try and mix these two very opposing styles... You are of course never going to get a "good" book adaptation -- even comic books which are coming out right and left now (or will be shortly) -- Because again, they are two completely different forms of entertainment/storytelling.

I think Tim Burton said it best when he was asked about adapting the first Batman movie (w/Jack Nicholson). He said:

"Books are an entirely different thing than movies. Books are NOT movies. So, I think the best thing a film maker can do is create something that has the same theme and expresses the same ideas as the book, but that will never be the book".

I agree with this and is again, why I bring up the Jack Ryan movies because the ideas and general concepts are there (how wars, battles and other things are really fought), but they are embellished to make them more interesting for the chosen medium which is cincematic storytelling and not reading.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Passionate Fan

Some of my favorite Young Adult books were made into movies and it just wasn't pretty.
How to Deal-First of all they combined two books into one story so they automatically had to leave things out. Plus just some of the details were changed that didn't need to be change. Like how the boyfriend died in it. Sarah Dessens books were great but the movie wasn't

The Princess Daries-Once again they tryed to combine a few of the books into one story. They had it too rushed and made the charactors totally different. Particularly the role of the grandmother. She was alot more mean in the books.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:29 AM
Addicted Fan

The Shining, I thought the movie was terrible. I love the book but I could barely even stand to watch the whole movie.

I also thought East Side, West Side wasn't a very good adaptation. It's one of my most beloved books. But the thing there is the movie is actually very good. It's just in comparison to the book that it falls short. Same with South Riding but that was such a complex book that it was almost impossible to film it well. They cut out too much...but then who wants a 17 hour movie? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Playing beatie bow
they stuffed it up by skipping crucial character development scenes. half of it didnt make sense.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Profaine Angel:
<STRONG>The Shining, I thought the movie was terrible. I love the book but I could barely even stand to watch the whole movie.</STRONG>
Ooh, that's another good one. I know lots of people rave about the movie, because it's Stanley Kubrick and Jack Nicholson and all that, but I agree that it was terrible. I feel like if you've read the book it's impossible to like the movie. (just my opinion)
Old 04-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Extreme Fan

The newest Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas with Jim Cavisal, was the most idiotic movie, if anyone has read the book, the'd understand that it did no justice to it. The book is way too elaborate to be a 2-hour movie, it needs to be a mini-series to fit every important detail.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Absolute Fan

A lot of people love it but I think "A Walk to Remember" was...not good. I think it was mostly the fact that they kind of missed the characters personalities, but just a little bit and that made it a lot different. I think the fact that it took place now had a lot to do with it...even though I guess its fine setting it now, as long as the characters were the same, and Jamie wasn't. She was on the surface, but not really. It just seems like they kind of skimmed the book or something. And they did take out all the religious parts which I'm guessing was to reach a wider audience of something. I don't know. I'm babbling.
gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

Vanity Fair!!!
What Were They Thinking This Novel Is A Classick It Should Be Treated With Respect!!!
satine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well I thought that The Da Vinci Code book was really good, but when they made the movie based on the book, I didnt like it as much because they left out some great parts from the book in the movie.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

I havent seen it yet but I am calling dibs on "Bridge to Terabithia".

The trailer alone is nothing like the book, I am scared.
Merlin_Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

"Queen of the Damned"-Fine as a stand-alone film. But doesn't come close to the greatness of the book, so i have to keep the book out of my mind while watching. Aaliyah was perfect as Akasha though

i haven't seen The Da Vinci Code yet..mostly cause of tom hanks..i think that was a wrong cast choice.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Riding in Cars with Boys (with Drew Barrymore)
They totally made her out of character. She was not the sweet girl that they made her in the movie.
The took out her badass attitiude and some parts/events that I thought were funny and were expecting to see.
Also her son doesn't end up with Britney Murphy's daughter. After that character leaves in the book she's not heard from again.

I was so disappointed.
Reply   Post New Thread