Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Master Fan

The Passion of the Christ (2004) #1

I'm really looking forward to this film and have been tracking all the controversy - it's unfortunate that there's such negativity surrounding something which by all accounts is sensitive, appropriate, and well done.

In any case, here's one of the most recent articles on the film.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

Good article.

The other reason it is getting so much controversy, aside from the issues the article explains, is that for the first time, you have an A-List, widely recognizable name star basically violating the unwritten rule of "speration of church and entertainment [state]" by presenting something that inequivocably asserts he is Christian and is proud of that fact where often (especially in Hollywood) religion is a forbidden subject and is left outside that industry in favor of not offending anyone.

For example, you have actors and actresses who openly admit they are Scientologits, Jewish, Christian, Buddist, Islam, etc... But none of them have just made a movie about their religion in such an unabashed form like Mel Gibson has and it's only complicated by the fact that he is an ultra-conservative Roman Catholic (vs. the "normal" Catholic Church) and all the recent negative controversy surrouding the Catholic Church with regards to certain Massachusettes priests being Pedophiles and the cover up that the church participated in regarding the abuse.

In addition, the fact that this film coicides with "The Dav Vinci Code" is another reason it's getting a lot of attention because the debate about Jesus as a human being who may have had a wife (Mary Magdaline) and children (decendants) is also heating up among Church groups as well...

And one of the pivotal characters in "The Passion" is Mary Magdaline who is by his side through out the entire film, more or less, that only adds credence to this possiblity that Jesus wasn't this diety (in one respect) and was more human than we portray him to be, religious doctorine or not.

The other factor is the time and society we live in right now if you happen to be in the United States.

I don't want to get into a huge political debate, but there is a general perception (right or wrong) that the so-called Religious Right are being allowed -- via support from the President -- To push through what basically amount to elitist and almost biggoted doctorines (laws, philosophical implications) that not only violate separation of Church and State, but that may in fact bring negative results depending on your POV on certain issues...

Which only adds to the ferver of anti-relgious, anti-Church (any church) feelings that this country has always, for lack of a better word, danced around and it may not be able to do that any more with "The Passion" being a mainstream, box office force and again, with what's going on in the U.S. right now as far as ideology, theology and goverment merging.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the article, shrrshrr. And by the way, Diane Sawyer's interview with Mel Gibson is scheduled to air on Monday, February 16. I'm quite interested in seeing that ... and, of course, the film.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

Ms. Isabel - thanks, I'll try to catch that interview, as well.

Unsilent Majority - as usual you've raised some intriguing points. I hadn't considered that about Hollywood, but in retrospect I think you're correct - the movie-making people have shied away, in general, from such topics, and when they do deal with this kind of religious subject matter it frequently (always?) generates tremendous controversy.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

Ms. Isabel - Yes, thank you for alerting us to that interview.

Shrrshrr - It's funny because religion is one of the two most forbidden topics (Religion and Politics) that American's don't allow them to speak about with people outside their own circle of friends in fear of offending someone else's beliefs (which is why Hollywood doesn't often take religious stances on things as not to alienate the potential moviegoer who = revenue in their pockets [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])...

But that's all changing now with what I said about the President Bush and what's going on and the general climate of the country if you've been keeping up on things (as I am sure many have).

Regardless, as far as the actual film "The Passion of the Christ" goes, I definitely want to see it for the sheer artistry alone, let alone any relgious or political implications and controversy it has.

I'm not a religious person per se... But I find the story of Jesus' last hours extremely facinating from a historical and philosophical POV because if you believe in God (or the Christiain doctorines that POTC is based on) it literally is the "missing link" between mankind and proving the exitence of God if you think about because (for those that aren't Christian), Christianity believes Jesus to have ascended from Heaven (via immaculate conception) as the human embodiment of the Son of God to free mankind from its sins and bring the world out of darkness (kind of like Neo in "The Matrix" as the Chosen One).

If the fact that Jesus WAS a real person and that POTC really happened... Then its almost confirming the existence of a higher power, something that mankind has sought proof of for decades.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Absolute Fan

Who is the actor playing Jesus - Jim Caveziel(sp)

I watched some previews of it and his acting is superb, I saw the preview where they were beating him with whips and his hand was shaking covered in blood, then it showed them driving the nail in his hand, I started crying, I mean just from that 2 minute preview, it was truely terryfying for me to see, I was covered in cold chills, I mean everyone knows the story and how it went, but man seeing it acted like that, it was brutal to watch... did anyone else see it?
Congrats Kasey Kahne #9
2005 Chevy American Revolution 400 Nextel Cup Champion

Welcome To The O.C. Bitch
+*~*+SASHA+*~*+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:29 PM
New Fan

i agree saw a clip on it this morning or yesterday on the today show-am going to see it next Tuesday night-so can give you all an update Wed if you want?
loveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Passionate Fan

I really want to see this movie it looks really good. They have a intreview with Mel on 20/20 tonight. I'm going to see this either next thrusday or sunday.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by +*~*+SASHA+*~*+:
<STRONG>Who is the actor playing Jesus - Jim Caveziel(sp)</STRONG>
Yeah, it's Jim Caviezel. You may know him from The Count of Monte Cristo, High Crimes, Angel Eyes, Pay It Forward, and Frequency.

I am not religious, AT ALL, but I can't wait to see this movie! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sasha

[ 02-12-2004: Message edited S.A.S.H.A. ]
Old 02-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

Just a heads up for those following this film:

The Mel Gibson interview on Primetime Live w/Diane Sawyer will be on MONDAY, Feb. 16.

I don't know why they moved it (tonight), but they did.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Part-Time Fan

I am going to watch the interview. I want to hear what Mel has to say about filming the movie and all the controversy surrounding it.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

i am very intrigued and fascinated about this movie coming out also, and am also thankful that an actor such as Mel Gibson found truth and is bringing it and showing it to the world. I am a religious person and this portrayal of Jesus Christ should be revealing and extremely fantastic of really how "it is as it was". [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
dark noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Dark Noon

The "is as it was" is what is causing all the controversy.

If you read the article, the main problem -- aside from the fact that it portrays the Jewish Temple Leaders as "selling out Jesus" to save their own skin (more or less) -- Is that some church leaders don't like the fact that Mel Gibson took the four books of The Passion and basically "crammed" them together.

According to some, many believe that each book is its own interpretation and doing what Mel did with the movie was not the best way to present "The Passion" as each one is supposed to be taken as a separate account.

As an example, it'd be like taking Tom Clancy and Jack London and trying to tell the same story. Each would be VERY different from one another, even though it's still the same story.

I for one am definitely interested in what Mel has to say on Monday because another part of the controversy that some are asking is (to be blunt) did Mel "flip his lid" when he made this movie because here is (like I stated above) a well-known, A-List actor who is taking a relgious stance on something he believes in... But that might actually offend a lot of people -- Rather, the RISK of offending some people -- And was it such a good choice for Mel to do this at this time (in both his career and with what's going on with Bush, the Catholic Church and how Christians are viewed with what's going on in the Middle East with Iraq)?

It'll be interesting to see what he has to say.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm definitely intrigued by this movie and will probably see it in the theater. I'm also curious to hear what Mel Gibson has to say on Primetime. Thanks for the info on the date switch - I wouldn't want to miss the interview.

Jen | tumblr
dixieland_dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

My mom wants to see this but I'm really not into it.

A-I don't feel that religion and Hollywood should be related. Religion is too important to be cheapened like that. It belongs in the church, not up on screen.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread