Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Master Fan

The Manchurian Candidate (2004) #1

Oooooh! I'm totally excited - a remake of a classic that might be really good, especially considering the current political and patriotic climate.

The original is a John Frankenheimer film that starred Frank Sinatra in the main roll, and is absolutely brilliant.

The remake is a Jonathon Demme film starring Denzel Washington - should be interesting if they don't go overboard with this and keep the subtlety of the original.

Anyone else excited about this?

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Elite Fan

I am absolutely embarrassed to say I haven't seen the original one... *looks down*

I am behind on quite a few classics and as soon as I get time, I will have myself a tasty marathon.

But as of now, I want to see this remake and possibly get a taste of the heaven I have been missing! Denzel in any movie is a great excuse to be excited for me but this one has special elements to make it even more so!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:09 AM
New Fan

Anything with Denzel is fine by me. But this actually looks good, too. He's playing the whole little-guy-against-the-evil-system a lot...The Pelican Brief, John Q, Man on Fire...
Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR
I am absolutely embarrassed to say I haven't seen the original one... *looks down*

I am behind on quite a few classics and as soon as I get time, I will have myself a tasty marathon.

But as of now, I want to see this remake and possibly get a taste of the heaven I have been missing! Denzel in any movie is a great excuse to be excited for me but this one has special elements to make it even more so!
Go forth and get thee to a classic movie marathon, missy!

Seriously - you must see this film. It's really good (and let me know which classics you've seen - I've got tons of recommendations and I'm sure you've visited the classic movie thread).

I can't believe you! *gives affectionate smack on tushy*

Lady Deathstryke - hiya! Welcome to the boards!

You know, I like Denzel in certain roles, and I used to love him - but not so much any more precisely because of these types of roles he's taking on. Still, I think he's a good actor and can do a superb job in this role with the right directing.
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Anyone else excited about this?

shrrshrr....in a word no.....i'm too much in love with the first version to see a remake.....i'll think i'll walk 2 blocks to my local library and rent the original one directed by john frankenheimer.....it's available as a 7 day rental...the price is right too, it's free....
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Loyal Fan

I have not seen the original sadly but I did see the Demme version with Denzil and it was very interesting - and creepy. Normally, I am not a fan of Meryl Streep but I thought she did a very nice job in this film. Cameos by Al Franken, Forrest Sawyer, etc. were in this (as newscasters) as well.

I guess the only thing that surprised me a little was in regards to the ending. This is not a spoiler REALLY but I won't say anything other than I expected it to go a slightly different route at the very end.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Extreme Fan

I HATED this movie. I never saw the opriginal one though, people have said it's better. I remember getting up in the theater and everyone had disgusted looks on their faces and I hear grunts LOL.
Buffyverse 1997 - Now & Forever
"I have promises to keep... and miles to go before I sleep."
VampireSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

I loved this movie!!

I've never seen the original and frankly, I have no plans to any time ever. I bet it's good but...I'm just not interested.

This ones really good though.

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Spike's 99th kitten
-Chaz
Clash181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by VampireSlayer
I HATED this movie.
I can understand that. I know that I would NEVER watch it again and I am a person who watches movies over and over again. There is something you can't really put your finger on - I don't know if parts are just boring or too dragged out or what...it's hard to explain. It was interesting and it was creepy but...I don't know...

The ending seemed too neatly wrapped up.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread