Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Favorite Opening Scenes?

I saw this topic on another board and was interested in knowing what other people's favs were. Mine are
The Sound of Music I love how the camera is going through the mountains and then the audience sees Maria coming up a hill and she bursts into song.
Chicago the opening sequence is my favorite part of the whole movie. I love the song All That Jazz and how the 2 scenes (Roxy/Fred and Velma singing) are put together
Charlie's Angels They both start out with great action scenes.
Trainspotting It's great how the audience sees Mark running away and there's a voice over explaining his actions. I also like how all the characters are introduced in that 5 minute or so scene. You know right from the beginning that it's a great movie.
E.T. It's dark and sort of suspensful because you're not sure what's going to happen. I love E.T. The beginning makes me sad but if he wasn't left on Earth there wouldn't be a movie.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Master Fan

Ooh - good thread idea!

Well, I LOVE the credits from Delicatessen - that's just sheer brilliance.

And of course, you have to love the James Bond series - they've set the standards for action films.

Some of my favorites -
Wings of Desire
Much Ado About Nothing

Both of these because of the use of dialogue, with nothing but the printed word on the big screen, and a single voice intoning those words.

Apacolypse, Now
Because it starts with The Doors' "This is the End," and it really is, beginning with the final sequences of the film, and these surreal explosions of Napalm at night.

The Wedding Singer - shuddup!
It's cute, with a wedding scene that cracks me up every time.

Jesus Christ, Superstar
The bus scene, which it ends with, as well, but withou the actor who plays Jesus. Plus, they do all their warmups, and a dance sequence. Fade to Judas on the hilltop - again, brilliant, and very well choreographed.

Oh, so many films, so little space to write! I'll have to come back with more...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

For the most part, I like opening scenes that grab me, or make me immediately take interest in what I'm watching.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img]The Matrix
- Grabbed me right away, had me saying "whoa". The very first fight scene with Trinity and then watching her escape the agents. Cool as hell.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Pirates of the Caribbean
- Like the opening with the young Elizabeth singing, and how the scene just faded into view like it was coming out of the fog.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Lord of the Rings
Basically an overview of the movie, but I still thought it was well done.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Shrek
Just plain funny. Starts off like a perfect fairytale then you hear the toliet flush. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I know there's more but that's all I can think of for now....

[ 11-13-2003: Message edited TheCheshireKitten ]

~Kat
TheCheshireKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Goodfellas - Need I say more? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Princess Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Addicted Fan

i just have one:

THE BREAKFAST CLUB -- with all the kids coming to detention and there is a voicover of the Michael Hall

its just brilliant

*iva*

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
nun with a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by nun with a gun:
<STRONG>i just have one:

THE BREAKFAST CLUB -- with all the kids coming to detention and there is a voicover of the Michael Hall

its just brilliant

*iva*</STRONG>
I love you...and I agree.

Peace~Jordan
Old 11-14-2003, 01:55 AM
Part-Time Fan

I second The Sound of Music and Chicago. Two of my all-time favorite movies, and the opening scenes are brilliant. I get such a thrill every time that camera zooms in on Julie twirling on that mountain, lol. And "5, 6, 7, 8!" has become a common saying for me.

I'm having trouble thinking of my other favorites. I'll have to ponder it for a while. But one I did come up with that I really do love is from The Others. The voice-over by Nicole is what really got me. You're sitting there in the dark, silent theater and you hear her begin with, "Now, children, are you seated comfortably? Then I'll begin..." (or something like that), and to me it was just so cool. I was like, "Yes, Nicole, I'm ready!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That, plus the creepy storybook type pictures and Nicole's blood-curdling scream, made for a good start to the chilling tale that followed.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited Vivi Dahlin ]
Old 11-14-2003, 03:31 AM
Part-Time Fan

The Lion King- one of the best ever!
The Two Towers
The Fellowship of the Ring
Gladiator
TheONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Passionate Fan

My favorite opening scene would have to be 10 Things I hate about you..."I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation!"
Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AliasUnknown:
<STRONG>My favorite opening scene would have to be 10 Things I hate about you..."I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation!"</STRONG>
lol I agree.
*Ledi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I definitely agree on The Others. When Nicole let out that scream I jumped out of my seat. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

The Breakfast Club has a good opening too.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned

Trainspotting is my favorite opening. It's just put together so well. It sets up the whole movie, and it movies fast. I love Mark's vocie over to, the "chose life" speech. I also love Chicago's openning, going into Roxie's eye. Moulin Riuge is great to, it just takes you into this other world, a world where people break out into song.

[img]smilies/flowers.gif[/img]Ellen
Nini Legs in the Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:24 PM
Extreme Fan

I think the trainspotting opening is cool too,and also I love the opening of a knights tale opening.

[img]smilies/hippie.gif[/img]Becky
heaths girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Banned

A knight tale is cool, the mealding of the old with the new, which is a theme that is repected again and again it the movie.

[img]smilies/flowers.gif[/img]Ellen
Nini Legs in the Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Passionate Fan

These are the ones I can think of:

Lotr:The Fellowship of The Ring- The beginning was pretty good, it basically tells you what is going on and you can feel the mood.
X-men 2 - I really liked the special effects that made that purple guy do the whooshy thing.
Shrek- The opening scene is the funniest thing I've ever seen so far. I just loved how he was taking a bath in all that goo.
Reply   Post New Thread