Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Addicted Fan

James Bond appreciation

...or am I the only one here who loves the Bond movies??? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

If not: let's make this the place to discuss the movies [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-22-2004: Message edited Caradeangel ]

Also, punctuation marks don't live in packs!

If you made that icon let me know. I'd be happy to credit you!
Caradeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Passionate Fan

I love the Bond movies! I grew up on them!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Master Fan

I love JB. Esp Timothy D as Mr Bond. but nobody else did [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I have to watch some of them again to refesh my memory.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:10 AM
Addicted Fan

I knew I'm not the only one!!!

Which one was your favorite Bond movie?

I just found out today that Dana Broccoli, the wife of the late Bond producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli, died at the age of 82 on March 3rd [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by navami:
<STRONG>I love JB. Esp Timothy D as Mr Bond. but nobody else did [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I have to watch some of them again to refesh my memory.</STRONG>
I liked Timothy Dalton as James Bond, and thought it was unfortunate that the climate was such that Bond movies didn't catch on that much. Plus, all that hallabaloo about the AIDS epidemic made them not use Bond girls, but a single girl, in his first film, which apparently turned some people off.

My grandmother and I not only see every Bond film there is, but we own every one of them, too - and we go on annual Bond movie marathon!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>Plus, all that hallabaloo about the AIDS epidemic made them not use Bond girls, but a single girl, in his first film, which apparently turned some people off.</STRONG>
Maryam D'Abo... she was awful. She couldn't have played a street lamp and they let her play a Bond girl. Oh well...
I kinda liked Timothy Dalton too. But I missed the humor of the older movies. My fave Bond is (and will always be) Sean Connery. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, my favorite Bond movie is "Tommorow never dies" Can't even say why. I just absolutely love it. My favorite scene is with Paris Carver (Teri Hatcher), an old girlfriend of Bond's, and Bond himself:

Quote:
Bond: I always wondered what it would be like to meet you again.
Paris slaps him across the face
Bond: Now I know. - Was it something I said?
Paris: How about 'I'll be right back'?
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2004, 11:25 AM
Passionate Fan

My favorite bond movie is Goldeneye.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:51 AM
Addicted Fan

Appearently, Quentin Tarantino wants to direct the next Bond movie. I'm not sure I'm happy about that...

Old 05-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Obsessed Fan

I love the James Bond films - I have a complete set at home.

Quote:
Which one was your favorite Bond movie?
Hmmm, hard to choose one but From Russia With Love has always been a big favourite and of course On Her Majesty's Secret Service (even though I always cry at the end!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Caradeangel
Appearently, Quentin Tarantino wants to direct the next Bond movie. I'm not sure I'm happy about that...
In my opinion and going on the sort of films that he has produced so far that would be a big mistake. The James Bond franchise has always made family-type Bond films, not the blood and guts movies that he churns out. Hope there aren't any Taratino fans here
Old 05-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

The bond films are a great study in the evolution of the "action hero" as it were.

When they started... He WAS the only action hero who was cool, suave and in complete control (most of the time). He was every guy's AND girl's fantasy (regardless of who played him).

Plus, you have to remember that Mr. Bond was born out of the Cold War era, so of course, having a glob trotting super spy who was always on the look out to stop the "evil red threat" was why a lot of people around the world -- even the Russians -- Grew to like him.

However, as the world changed and action heroes became common place (Steve McQueen; Chuck Norris; Arnold; Sylvester Stallone; etc.) through the 70s to now... Bond lost his appeal as another poster already said.

Add to that that society moraes changed as well (the AIDS scare; Feminism; Equal Treatment; etc) and Bond literally was a "dinosaur" as M calls him in Goldeneye, referring to his promiscuous and chauvenist attitudes.

What allows(ed) Bond to survive to this day has been the writers ability to literally re-invent the character whenever they need to.

Bond is now just a middle-aged playboy who is more devoted to his dead wife and just happens to hook up with the latest Bond Girl -- Meaning, it's an organic part of the story and not his ultimate goal -- Who questions what side he should be on since the world has changed drastically since the fall of the Sovient Empire and even 9-11 which was acknowledged in "Die Another Day".

I think this is why Bond will always manage to appeal to a certain audience and why they will continue to make movies with Bond -- Whoever may actually play the lead -- And it will be interesting to see Bond: 2005 and beyond.

Some interesting bond news:

-Producers are thinking of turning back the clock and making bond 20-30 years younger and are considering Collin Farrel and even Orlando Bloom in the role as a younger, newly recruited Bond who is cutting his teeth at M-6.

-John Woo has also finally been approached to do a bond movie. I think his style would definitely fit in with the elegance and style that Bond is synonamous for as that is how Woo directs action sequences: Like Ballets.

-Rupert Everett has publically said he wants to be the first openly Gay James Bond (and the character portrayed as such).

UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Wow... there is life in this thread!!!

Star5: exactly what I think about Quentin Tarantino. It's not that I hate him or anything or think he is a bad director. I just think his style doesn't exactly fit the Bond movies.

I heard about Orlando Bloom being considered for the new Bond. I say: let him grow up and look a bit more like a man and less like a boy. Maybe then we can talk about that again...
Rupert Everett... no, I can't imagine him playing Bond. I couldn't even say why. Maybe because in my opinion he's too soft for the part? I don't know.
I also heard Hugh Jackman was considered for the part. Now THAT's an interestin idea. He definitely looks the part and I really can imagine him as Bond.

Well... I guess we'll just have to wait. Until then I'd be happy to see you come back here from time to time and discuss the movies with me

To open up the discussion: What did you guys think of "Die another Day"?
At the beginning I was shocked. Bond being tortured somehow destroyed my fantasy that Bond couldn't be hurt, no matter what.
As the story unfolded I felt we were getting back to Bond as I know him. I absolutely loved Rosamund Pike. And I didn't like Halle Berry at all. Her jokes were bad and I kinda felt she was trying very hard to be funny (but she failed).
What bugged me most were the animated icebergs in the water. The people behind the Bond movies have always been proud of actually doing all the stunts, and ifthey had to blow anything up it would always be models (like that bridge in "The Living Daylights"). And then they give us those badly animated 3D icebergs??? They really sucked ... IMHO

Old 05-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm not sure who I can picture as the new Bond. I've heard a lot of those names being touted about but it is difficult to know who would fit the part and do a good job. I agree that Orlando Bloom is too young, I definitely would be against Rupert Everett but yes, Hugh Jackman could be ok. He's around the right age and has the right look.

Although we don't know for sure that Pierce Brosnan won't be making one more film before he finishes. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty both about who's playing Bond and about a potential new film. How will the filmmakers outdo themselves this time?

Quote:
Originally posted by Caradeangel
To open up the discussion: What did you guys think of "Die another Day"?At the beginning I was shocked. Bond being tortured somehow destroyed my fantasy that Bond couldn't be hurt, no matter what.
I enjoyed Die Another Day. It's not among my top favourites but it was a very good film. I didn't much like Bond being captured and tortured either. This is the guy who's supposed to be invincible and he goes and gets caught. But it did get better as it went on. Still funny seeing John Cleese instead of Q (I miss him!).

Agree with you on Halle Berry too btw

And what about the car becomg invisible...farfetched or what!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Oh... that invisible car. Right. Not my favorite.
One of my favorite scenes in the movies was the one with all the old props from Thunderball and all the old movies. They say there is an hommage to every one of the 19 other Bond movies. I didn't find all of them, but I loved looking for them in the movie.

And yes, I absolutely miss Desmond Lllewelyn

Old 05-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

John Cleese just doesn't do it for me - Desmond Lllewelyn bought real class to the part.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:15 AM
Addicted Fan

I guess it's hard to live up to Desmond Llewelyn - even for John Cleese. My problem is that I've only seen John Cleese in funny parts. And even though Q is not Hamlet, he is not exactly funny in a way John Cleese usually plays his roles. John Cleese uses physical comedy and words to be funny. Desmond Llewelyn was funny because... I don't know why - but it was definitely no physical comedy.

I can't think of anyone else who could play Q the way Desmond Llewelyn did.
Reply   Post New Thread