Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Master Fan

"My Lunch" (5.20) ~ Episode Discussion Thread (25/Apr/06)

SCRUBS
MY LUNCH
04-25-2006 9:00PM

J.D. IS DETERMINED TO HAVE LUNCH WITH DR. COX -- NICOLE SULLIVAN ("MAD TV") GUEST STARS -- While working to stabilize three patients awaiting organ transplants, J.D. (Zach Braff) resolves to ask Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley) to lunch until he agrees. When he finally chases Dr. Cox to lunch, J.D. runs into annoying former patient Jill Tracy (Nicole Sullivan), who unexpectedly teaches him something about responsibility. Later, Elliot (Sarah Chalke) and Carla (Judy Reyes) discover that Todd's been lying about all his hospital "conquests" and suspect that he's been less than truthful about other issues, but Turk warns them not to meddle. Neil Flynn and Ken Jenkins also guest star.

Show Cast: Zach Braff, Sarah Chalke, Donald Faison, Judy Reyes, John C. McGinley, Ken Jenkins, Neil Flynn, Christa Lawrence Miller
Old 04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
New Fan

I didnt really like this one. They seemed to try a lot of new things out like a multi camera setup, wich I think takes away from the uniqness of the show. It was also very chessy, unlike most of the new episodes this season. And every joke fell flat, every single one.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercheif
...It was also very chessy, unlike most of the new episodes this season. And every joke fell flat, every single one.
Hi! you're a newcomer, because this looked like your first post! Hi!

Anyway, onto the actual episode.
I found the Todd thing (playing around with 'is he gay') a little too cheesy. Thank goodness it was only temporary. Todd is just, Todd. If he was gay, that would change him forever.

I found this episode to be more drama than sitcom funny, and I'm a big fan of the depressing episodes. Why? I just...am. Scrubs does them SOO well. Take "My Screwup"
Anyway, I guess part of this episode focuses on Dr. Cox, as did "My Screwup," and in an interesting way. What I do wonder is WHY he was so intent on saving that kidney patient, up until the point that he lost it.

The kidney patient must have been either a great friend of his, or a really regular patient that he really liked. Because the Cox from the past 5 years, well, he's been the one TEACHING J.D. to suck it up and move on...and that not every patient is gonna be treated and saved. And that knowledge could only come from experience.

So why is Cox suddenly so BEAT that a patient died of an organ transplant...what, just because he was wrong about the hastiness? Did he feel bad about the other two patients who passed away...because they NEEDED the transplants a.s.a.p. and it IS realistic that a doctor would get the organs right away without waiting for the autopsy...especiallly if they guessed the reason for death anyway.

So, I'm a little confused as to what's going on in Cox's head...I mean, it's not like he hasn't made mistakes before, right? And 15 years ago, I bet he slipped up and someone died under his care before...

Maybe I'm wrong. I dunno.. I did enjoy the lessons learned and how J.D. and Cox leaned on eachother for support...which means that the bonds between them (though they've always been strong) are actually noticed by what they do for eachother.

My big question at the end of the episode, with Cox's very dramatic leaving and closing the door, is whether this means Cox is stepping away from his job, afraid of screwing up again. Reminds me of the first season a bit, when his brother-in-law (who had leukemia) popped in, and Cox couldn't handle it...end of the episode, he's walking out of the hospital as Ted's choir sing "Underdog", and his red cape falls.

Cox is vulnerable...I wonder if they're heading him down a sort of crisis or if he'll come back next week all chirpy.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Elite Fan

Can someone explain to me how you guys refer to Scrubs as cheesy? And what, S1 was classy? I'm so confused. It's a sitcom...isn't it supposed to be funny and out-there? I'm lost...

I loved this episode. Wow...talk about emotional. I remember reading somewhere of a multi-episode arch of Dr. Cox...and I guess this is it. I can't wait to see where they will go with this...and how far they'll take it. Aside from that, it was upsetting that the woman died of a drug overdose...and J.D. felt it was his fault. But, the whole thing with The Todd was hilarious. Good comic relief. I love how he continued to act all The Todd after he 'came out' and then the reveal that he wasn't gay ... classic!

kenny | credit
Old 04-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Master Fan

I've always thought that Todd was at least Bi.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Elite Fan

The Todd appreciates hot, regardless of gender!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TheKen-
I loved this episode. Wow...talk about emotional. I remember reading somewhere of a multi-episode arch of Dr. Cox...and I guess this is it. I can't wait to see where they will go with this...and how far they'll take it.
Hee. I didn't know that they were planning a multi-episode arch for Dr. Cox. I don't read news and spoilers. But I am so glad that it's not like he's going to come back into work tomorrow singing "It's a LOVELY Day!" like he did that time...ugh, he pulled J.D. out of bed to go drinking in his pj's (J.D.'s, not Cox's).

This is interesting...I like Dr. Cox's character and I'm glad we'll get some fantabulous future stuff for the actor to showcase his talents.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Elite Fan

The next episode is called "My Fallen Idol" ... obviously referring to J.D.'s impression of Cox's downfall.

kenny | credit
Old 04-26-2006, 04:18 AM
New Fan

This epidsode is great. Cheesy? Have you ever watched Scrubs before? I have seen episodes that are far cheesier.

The jokes fall flat? Why? Its exactly the kind of humour we should be expecting from Season 5 - I thought it was actually one of the funniest episodes!

Todd being Gay! Brilliant! The way he used it to get to to see Elliot naked was hilarious!

Why did Cox care so much about one patient? Thats his way, he has been like that throughout the whole thing - if he knows the patient or has a connection with them he gets very emotional (connected by bad fathers in this one - remember the first conversation they have?). Why is he affected? He is on the edge constantly - and he hasnt had a proper breakdown this season!

The scene where the cape fell off was not the end of that episode, it was halfway through, they have never left it with cox storming out...

On the extras for one season Bill talks about Todd and says they are thinking about making him Gay - but having him so that he just wants to "hit" everything would be funnier and thats what they did! (When he is walking down the hallway at the end).

Brilliant episode.

Jan Itor
Old 04-26-2006, 07:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I LOVED this episode. I think it is definately in my top 10 of all time (if not top 5). I was a bit distracted through it and hope to see it again soon for a refresher.

1st though: I love Zach but I gotta say - he is looking a little rough. The extra weight looks cute on him but his face looks haggard with circles under the eyes and I really wish he'd start wearing his hair like before. It just looks so messy now.

ON TO THE EPISODE:
I thought there was a lot of funny stuff. When the store clerk scolded JD and had him toted off and then began eating the items herself - I laughed hysterically. One of my other favorite moments was the Janitor telling the fake story of when he realized JD was gay. JD squealing "They're dancing!" and the look on the Janitor's face was a riot!

I love the resolution with The Todd. I enjoyed his walk and saying he liked everyone (fat, thin, black, white, man, woman) and "I'm THE TODD" - I thought it was the PERFECT encapsulation of his character.

I knew a Cox centric story would be heartwrenching and it was. My throat was all hot and scratchy. Tears welled up in my eyes. Any time they make him cry gets me. And the look on Carla's face when she watches him have his break down was so good.

JD is SO grown up this season!! And he's been so outside-looking-in.
I agree with Jan - Cox has always been attached to his patients - and he's fought for transplants before.

The comment from Cox lead me to think the arch is going to deal with him deciding to quit or not. I doubt they'd go through with that. The whole feel of the show would change. I mean, a show has to "shake it up" a bit or it gets stale and boring but you don't want to so drastically change it that the long time fans feel disconnected and can't relate.
"You stink like sex." -Dean Winchester
Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Elite Fan

And on top of the fact that Cox attaches himself to certain patients, he's obviously known this guy a while because they had the "who's Dad is worse?" thing.

I loved the ep. Didn't make me laugh out loud a lot, but everyone in it was awesome. Donald's scream when the Janitor cracked his neck was fantastic!

It was great to see Nicole Sullivan back; so sad that she died.

There was no focus - or even mention - of Carla's pregnancy, which was a plus in my eyes!

I really do love this show.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Absolute Fan

I read the recap up at the TVGuide Watercooler, as well as the opinions posted by readers...
An interesting comment one person mentioned is...there is always tests that organs go through before they are transplanted into someone else. Doctors don't just stick one organ into another body without making sure that there is no infections in it.
A Watercooler reader then found this shocking article at CNN: Link is here
Ouch. Based on a true story. And Rabies isn't just any infection...from what it seems, it is a lot more severe and I would think there are ramifications (i.e. quarantines and testing people in contact with the patients) to the Rabies being present in the hospital. Mind you, the 3 patients didn't seem to ever have visitors.
Also, just a question...but if someone OD's on cocaine, doesn't that mean that
a) Her liver would be screwed from the OD from cocaine, and/or
b) Her kidneys would be screwed up from the OD

I thought that was something worth mentioning. I am not in health practice so I dono't know...if anyone knows a doctor/medical professional, maybe you could ask.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*Rach*~*
And on top of the fact that Cox attaches himself to certain patients, he's obviously known this guy a while because they had the "who's Dad is worse?" thing.

I loved the ep. Didn't make me laugh out loud a lot, but everyone in it was awesome. Donald's scream when the Janitor cracked his neck was fantastic!

It was great to see Nicole Sullivan back; so sad that she died.

There was no focus - or even mention - of Carla's pregnancy, which was a plus in my eyes!

I really do love this show.
ITA , and I agree with CrystalPistol's post b4hand

Great epi , and cant wait for the nxt one to see the follow up to Cox

When he had that tear down his cheek at the end, it touched me

G x
Old 04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Extreme Fan

I loved this episode. Definitely one of my favorites of the season.

The dramatic episodes always hit me the hardest because the actors (namely Johnny C) are phenomenal. The last scene had be desperately trying to hold back tears, especially when he slammed the crash cart and when he let out the exasperated "You gotta be kidding me." What I love about Scrubs is that it could turn into a drama every week and still be better than most of the dramas out there-- that's how great the actors are. Cox getting attached to a patient was very in character, when he makes a connection-- he really makes one. I'm really excited about what's happening to his character (not so much the fallen idol, but more the how well Johnny C's going to do with it).

The Todd thing was perfect. Its so something that he would do. I remember in some commentary that Bill Lawrence said it would be funny to reveal that The Todd was gay and have him be the same way only with men, so I was initially kind of disappointed that he was doing just that-- but the twist was hilarious and spot-on.

And I think the song choice deserves a special thing because, seriously, The Fray rocks. That's one of my favorite songs ever so when I started to hear it, I spazzed out. And its so beautiful and fit perfectly with the scene. I always wanted that song to be on Scrubs, so it was very exciting when it actually was. Nicely done music choice people. Nicely done.

Last night was like "Give Johnny C an Emmy" night with My New God and then this one. They both have those last scenes of me crying and saying GODHE'SSOGOOD. Seriously.

| videos | journal |
Old 04-27-2006, 06:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh yeah Rach, Donald can scream like it's nobody's business! And they pull in reaaaaaal close to his face. Cracked me up years ago in Clueless and it still cracks me up today.

Oh! Also: give it up for the continuity of Cox hating on Hugh Jackman!! LOL
"You stink like sex." -Dean Winchester

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 04-27-2006 at 06:38 AM