Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Dedicated Fan

What Love Is

What Love Is

Filmed in January, 2006 at the Glendale Studios in Glendale, Ca. and the Raliegh Studios in Hollywood, Ca. Now in post production

There is a slide show of behind the scenes while the filming was being done:
http://www.bigskymotionpictures.com/ (pictures of Shiri )

The above website also has other information about the film and who is in it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Obsessed Fan

you can hear music in that link now !
cool song
..::Lourdes::.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LullabyEvans
you can hear music in that link now !
cool song
I think it may be theme song for the movie
Old 04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Awesome.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the info & link Lee.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

You're adorkable!! - Hell on Heels
EARLBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

An article I found that talks about Shiri Appleby in When Do We Eat and they mention What is Love and The Killing Floor in the article! Enjoy!

Quote:
Shiri Appleby's Latest Film When Do We Eat?
By Christina Radish

A beautiful brunette with a charming freshness and likability, 27-year-old Los Angeles native Shiri Appleby has been acting since the age of 4. Successfully turning her three-year stint as Liz Parker, a teenage girl who is miraculously healed of a gunshot wound by a smitten classmate who confesses he is really an alien, on the TV cult favorite Roswell, into a burgeoning film career, the rising star sat down exclusively with Media. Magazine at the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills to talk about her latest role, her proudest career moment thus far, and her hopes for the future.

Currently starring as part of the ensemble in When Do We Eat?, Appleby plays Nikki, the sex surrogate daughter, home to join her family -- made up of such Hollywood veterans as Jack Klugman, Michael Lerner and Lesley Ann Warren -- for Passover Seder dinner. On this rather unusual night, secrets will be revealed, fantasies fulfilled, barriers broken down and some food consumed.

Playing a character that was so different from herself was a big part of Appleby’s attraction to the role. “She’s just kind of over-the-top,” says the former USC English major. “She’s crazy and a bit neurotic, and she takes herself too seriously, which is sort of funny. I just related to the fact that, at the end of the day, she really loves her family and she wants things to be right. I can identify with that.”

For the audition, Appleby had to read a couple scenes from the film, so in an effort to stand out from the other young actresses who would be reading for the same role, she changed the intention of the character.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She’s crazy and a bit neurotic, and she takes herself too seriously

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Instead of having Nikki really be into her job, I did it while I was filing my nails, just because I wanted to do something a little bit different, and I guess they responded to that. I just wanted to give the character as much personality as I could. And, I didn’t want to play it exactly the same way that I felt like a lot of other people would be playing it.”

Known previously for playing primarily dramatic roles, Appleby knew she’d have to just walk in the room and make an impression right away, if she was going to convince the filmmakers that she could pull off comedy.

“You just have to be confident enough when you go into the audition. It’s definitely difficult, when people are used to seeing you in dramatic stuff, to say, ‘No, no, no, I can be funny too.’ It was nice to be able to have that opportunity and, hopefully, this film will bring me more of that.”

Once she was given the role, Appleby had about a week of rehearsal to bond with the rest of the When Do We Eat? ensemble, and she says that the connection was pretty immediate. “It was just a bunch of crazy Jews in one room together. We were really friendly, during the time we were making the movie, so it was all very natural. Working on a comedy is so different. When you’re on set and it’s a dramatic moment, you’re quiet. In terms of this, everyone was having a good time. You still have to remember that you’re making a movie, but it’s a more jovial set.”

Naturally, that environment led to some improvisation among the actors, as well as some pranks on the set, one of which was directed specifically at Appleby. “One day, Max Greenfield and Ben Feldman photocopied the cast photo from Roswell and taped about 100 of them, all over the set,” remembers Appleby. “It was not cute. It was weird.”

When Roswell finished, Appleby admits that she had a lot of interest, but she has made a concentrated effort to be cautious in the projects that she wants to get involved in. She has no interest in playing girls that are just there for guys to make fun of, or that are just discussed because of the way they look, and for her to even consider doing a project that involved nudity, she says that it would have to be something really amazing that was not exploitative in any way, especially in the Internet age that we live in now.

Working on a comedy is so different. When you’re on set and it’s a dramatic moment, you’re quiet.

“I could have gone off and done another television show, and I was going to, with 1/4 Life, which I did a pilot for. If that was going to go, I would have been really happy to do that, but it didn’t get picked up. If I do another television show, I really want to make sure it’s going to be something that I like, so I’m just sort of waiting. I’ve been really picky with what television shows I’ve wanted to do, and I want the movies I do to be different. I want to have different opportunities, and I want to play girls that I respect.”

Although she isn’t actively seeking out another science fiction series, Appleby says that she wouldn’t classify Roswell strictly as a sci-fi show, since it explored various aspects of teenage life as well. “I liked the love aspect of Roswell, and the friendship aspect, and all of that stuff,” she says, also admitting that it is the project she is most proud of, so far, in her career.

“Those are things that I’m drawn to, anyway, so I would do something similar, in that regard, again. I just think it really depends on who the character is, and the story.”

Having played a variety of roles in both film (Undertow, The Battle of Shaker Heights, Swimfan, The Thirteenth Floor, The Other Sister) and television (Xena: Warrior Princess, Beverly Hills 90210, 7th Heaven, ER, Doogie Howser M.D.), Appleby hopes for the opportunity to give theater a try.

I really want to still do a play, really badly. I’d love to start Off Broadway

“I really want to still do a play, really badly. I’d love to start Off Broadway. I want to do something different, where the actor is totally in control. Film is a director’s world, television is a producer’s world, and they say theater is really the actor’s world, so it would be fun. You get to take your performance from the beginning to the end, and I’ve never really done that before. It would be nice to see what’s working, right then and there. Hopefully, it will come up soon. But, in the meantime, I’m pretty happy right now, making movies.”

Appleby says that she’s really not discriminatory in the medium that she will work in, wanting just to do good projects and work with different people of whose work she has been a fan. A look at her upcoming slate of releases really reflects that.

“I just finished two movies,” says Appleby, who hopes to one day work with the likes of Cameron Crowe, Steven Spielberg and Michael Mann. “One is called What Love Is, which is a comedy about love, with Cuba Gooding Jr., Matthew Lillard, Sean Astin, Anne Heche, Gina Gershon and myself. It’s a big comedy and it’s just really funny. Basically, it’s a group of five girls and five guys, and we’re all out one night, on Valentine’s Day, and everyone’s sort of ranting and raving about what finding love is all about. My character is more the voice of reason. She really wants things to be right, and she really wants men and women to fall in love for the right reasons.”

“The other film, The Killing Floor, is a psychological thriller with Marc Blucas (Buffy) and Reiko Aylesworth (24). My character is the uptight assistant to Marc Blucas’ character. She’s sort of shy and reserved, and a bit scared of everything. She wants to be the greatest assistant and she wants to make him happy, and she secretly has a crush on him.”

In looking to the future, Appleby strives to take on a role where she could just completely transform herself, like Charlize Theron did for her Academy Award-winning performance in Monster, and do something that people wouldn’t expect her to do. “The entire time I watched Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, I was like, ‘This is amazing. I would die to do something like this,’” reveals the self-proclaimed Extreme Makeover: Home Edition junkie. “I’d love to learn to sing for a film, or learn another language, or any of that kind of stuff.”
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!

Last edited by bigspam; 08-10-2006 at 05:16 AM
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Obsessed Fan

NEWS UPDATE ON "WHAT LOVE IS"
On Sunday April 23rd the N.A.B. convention was held in Las Vegas, this
is the worlds largest electronic media show. N.A.B. stands for
National Association of Broadcasters. Over 1 million people attended.
The two main speakers were James Cameron (Director of Titanic) and
John Fithian (President of the National Association of Theatre
Owners). Our Producer, George Bours and our Director of Photography,
David Stump were both called upon to speak (by Charles Schwartz head
of the Entertainment Technology Committee at USC Film School) on the
innovative technology we used to make the film What Love Is. Big Sky
Motion Pictures was then asked to give a private viewing for over 500
theatre owners, distribution companies, DVD store representatives,
etc., etc. We received what is to be considered an overwhelming
positive response that included laughter, applause and numerous
inquiries as to how we were able to make such a masterful film for
such a low budget and in such a short period of time, 9 days. All of
this being said, remember these individuals only saw the first ten
minutes of Mars' directors cut of What Love Is. You can imagine the
kind of response and opportunities the completed film holds for Big
Sky and our partners.

http://www.bigskymotionpictures.com/website/news.html
Old 05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Part-Time Fan

Don't know how reliable the info is but a poster at IMDB says that this film is slated for Feb 2007.
dreaming on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming on
Don't know how reliable the info is but a poster at IMDB says that this film is slated for Feb 2007.
Maybe they'll do a Valentine's Day release?
Just Peachy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy.
This would be cool.
Honey-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy.
That would fit perfect with the movie being the movie takes place on Valentine's Day! It looks like a cute movie I can't wait to see it!

Hope all is well. Keep on dreaming.

Love,
Erin
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Dedicated Fan

Nothing new. Just replacing things lost when the forum crashed and burned.

These are from the making of What Love Is taken from the Big Sky Motion Picture website.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

There are some new pics on the website, they're not of Shiri, but still kind of cool, and also, theres an article in teh news section...interesting.

Untitled Document
Old 08-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Master Fan

I love how the website is calling this movie a masterpiece in the works. That puts a giant smile on my face especially knowing that they chose Shiri to be in this movie instead of someone else. They probably could have had anyone they wanted yet they chose Shiri. With her looks and talent who wouldn’t cast her? Shiri must have been honored to get the chance to work with such talented people on this masterpiece in the works what Love Is.

BTW if anyone is a Big Sky partner you can see an exclusive sneak peak of the movie. Unfortunately you need a password to view the sneak peak of the movie.

4/29/06 was the greatest day of my life and one that I will never forget. Thank you Shiri.

You're adorkable!! - Hell on Heels

Last edited by EARLBNY; 08-10-2006 at 12:06 PM
EARLBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
WHAT LOVE IS

It’s Valentine Day. Tom Riley has finally made a decision. He has the ring. He has the flowers. Now he needs a shot of courage, so he stops by the local bar to get a drink before he goes home to ask his long-time girlfriend to marry him. “Give me half an hour and come by the apartment to celebrate,” he tells his friend. He then grabs a bottle of champagne and head home. Only, instead of his girlfriend, he finds a “Dear John” note.

What Love Is-a romantic comedy about a man who finds out, in the course of one night, what love truly is
::: BIG SKY MOTION PICTURES :::
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top