Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

Hooligans Series #1

Hey all - I saw an ad for this last night and did a search - I'm surprised with all you Elijah fans there isn't a thread for this already!

Still, I'll see it for Charlie Hunnam who I've known since his Young American days (not to mention his British Queer as Folk days which I will firmly argue is far superior to the US version) . It looks good, although a bit bully-boy-ish...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm a huge Elijah fan and really enjoyed this movie. It isn't perfect but it is thought-provoking. It has garnered some attention for possibly glorifying violence. While I can see that aspect of it--the celebration of brotherhood and camraderie--I also thought the movie did a nice job of showing the negative repercussions to getting involved with violence.

Perhaps the coolest thing about GSH, to me, is that it was directed by a woman, Lexi Alexander. Getting this "into" the minds of a culture more associated with males is impressive.

GSH has been compared to Fight Club, which I haven't seen. It is a smaller film, character-driven, and a wise choice for Elijah, post-LOTR. And as great as I thought Elijah was, I think Charlie Hunnam was even better. Charlie gives an arresting performance. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for him in the future.

If it's playing in a theatre near you, please go and see it. It is worth the trip to the theatre. It also did wonderfully at a festival earlier this year, SXSW.

Judy

icon credit: skje
JudyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Part-Time Fan

>>>It also did wonderfully at a festival earlier this year, SXSW.

Not just did wonderfully at SXSW where the film won both the narrative feature audience award and the narrative jury prize (A dual feat never before achieved!!!) But a month later it picked up another dual set at the Malibu Film Festival!

The Malibu Film Festival is where I saw it. I loved it!

I was looking forward to seeing it again this weekend up near Phoenix but somehow it is no longer playing up there or at least this weekend

The http://www.greenstreethooligans.com site under "See the movie" is where you find out where it is playing. The movie is being released very limitedly in the US
Old 09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

I'm surprised, really - I mean, while I love Charlie Hunnam he's still not that much of a household name but the same can't be said about Elijah Wood. It's odd...

My LJ for Movies
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

i'd really like to see this film.....but even in "the oc" it's only playing in a couple of theaters right now.......and now i'm kind of lacking time to see it anyway.........i'm going back to work on sunday......there's too many other films to see in the meantime....i don't know anything about charlie hunnam....(i never saw "the young americans".......and now.....well my family and i are kind of backwards....we quit watching television a couple of years ago to devote our time to reading, music and films....).......

i enjoyed elijah in 'everything is illuminated'.....a film i initially didn't like in the beginning...but by film's end i loved.....

shrrshrr....here's a poster for your thread....

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, thank you! Fabulous poster.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-27-2006, 01:04 PM
New Fan

Green Street Hooligans

Has anyone else in here seen the movie Green Street Hooligans? I caught it a while back and it was amazing - I was just surprised there wasn't much entertainment press on it. Elijah Wood is really good and sells the part very well. Just thought I'd let you all know about this flick - definitely check it out.
shadowman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Passionate Fan

I saw it at its SXSW Film Festival world premier last year. I thought it was brilliant. Lexi Alexander did an awesome job. Glad it won both the Audience and Jury awards. All the actors did a wonderful job as well. I'm anxiously waiting for the DVD.

(icon by Me)
*Eliza (Liz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

Hey there, Shadowman2 - welcome to the boards!

We already have a thread for this film so I'm going to merge this with that one.

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
New Fan

I'm so glad it finally came out on DVD not too long ago. It really is a great movie. I wonder why it didn't play at that many theaters, it's weird. It seems like people would really like this movie a lot, and Elijah Wood is amazing in it. Then there's the story, people often mistake this for another football movie, but it's actually a lot more than just that. Anyway, just wanted to say I really enjoyed the movie.
Boopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 PM
New Fan

I liked Green Street Hooligans a lot, it was cool to see Claire Forlani in something. I loved her in Mallrats.
horrorjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:08 AM
New Fan

Wow, so many Green Street Hooligans fans, yet it flopped in theaters... strange how things work out that way. Anyway, I was actually lucky enough to see it in theaters, and those that were there to watch it actually seemed to really enjoy this movie. And for good reason too, it's a really good movie. The acting, the production, the story, everything was just brilliant. And I think someone said it was out on DVD... so I'm going to have to pick up a copy for myself.
Haart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved this film! I'm not a Elijah fan or anything, but the movie is awesome!
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:42 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haart
Wow, so many Green Street Hooligans fans, yet it flopped in theaters... strange how things work out that way. Anyway, I was actually lucky enough to see it in theaters, and those that were there to watch it actually seemed to really enjoy this movie. And for good reason too, it's a really good movie. The acting, the production, the story, everything was just brilliant. And I think someone said it was out on DVD... so I'm going to have to pick up a copy for myself.
Green Street Hooligans didnt really flop in theatre's, i just had a really limited release (in the U.S.). Anyway, i love this movie I heard about it a few months before it came out and i rented it a few weeks ago. Great movie, highly recommended. The violence was awesome and Elijah Wood did a really good job.
DrakoBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

I didn't know there was a thread for this movie. I searched the movies forum to see if there was but fanforum would always mess up when I did a search for it. I watched it the other night on DVD and it was pretty good. The fight scenes were way more graphic and brutal than Fight Club. Elijah Wood was good in it and Claire Forlani. Charlie Hunnam was also good in it too. I was suprised to see him in it cause I hadn't really seen him anything since Abandon and the tv show Undeclared. This movie really made think about how bad the British love football.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread