Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Total Fan

Keanu Reeves #2: Goodbye Keanu board, hello MC board!

Hello everybody and welcome to the Keanu thread!

Unfortunately, we've lost our Keanu board, but I hope you'll join me in discussing this great actor and amazing person right here!

Keke fans
  • Tery
  • Pav
  • lh2005
  • S.A.S.H.A.
  • canflam
  • Cindy3138
  • Sweet_Honeycomb
  • Holly1985
  • DanceWithLife
  • Dracofan4ever
  • kiwi superstar
  • Rian
  • ocfan27
  • Cathangel
  • Swamy
  • natehaley23
  • -Louise-
  • Tyra from *NOL
  • leahn
  • Insanitic
  • M.I.S.S.Y
  • forever young
  • Frozeninside
  • PFlyer
  • XXREESE1XX
  • ~ Janet ~
  • *Eliza (Liz)
  • Spike it up
  • Ms_Melika
  • London2LA
  • BooPea78
  • ROCKSTAR
  • miskyblue
  • Chelbh
  • courtney921
  • LillyLove

*please ask if you want to be added to the list*

Last edited by Enigma; 06-16-2008 at 07:09 AM
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Total Fan

Some Keanu icons:

Credit: merica, *April*, teh_indy, _joni, bency
Old 09-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Total Fan

And some more:

Credit bency, *Shetan*, N@uGHTy_GuRl_
Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

hey.....saw keanu in a little film today called 'thumbsucker'......it's playing in "art house" theaters hardly anywhere.......kind of a nice pleasant film....
trailer here.......

review courtesy of boxoffice.com..

THUMBSUCKER

***1/2
Starring Lou Pucci, Tilda Swinton, Vincent D'Onofrio, Benjamin Bratt, Kelli Garner, Vince Vaughn and Keanu Reeves. Directed and written by Mike Mills. Produced by Anthony Bregman and Bob Stephenson. An SPC release. Drama/Comedy. Rated R for drug/alcohol use and sexuality involving teens, language and a disturbing image. Running time: 94 min.

One of the more interesting and unique coming-of-agers to hit the big screen in quite some time, "Thumbsucker's" unpredictable script, along with solid performances all around, are the components that allow director Mike Mills' debut effort to shine brighter than so many of the numerous offerings of the genre.

Based on the novel by Walter Kirn, "Thumbsucker" starts off familiarly enough. Awkward, shy and directionless, 17-year-old Justin (Lou Pucci) is stumbling his way through his senior year. At school, his evident lack of confidence severely cripples his participation on the debate team and leaves him flustered in front of the girl he adores (Kelli Garner). Home proves no better for him, either, where his concerned but somewhat self-involved parents Audrey (Tilda Swinton) and Mike (Vincent D'Onofrio) are at a loss regarding their son. Justin's biggest comfort when dealing with pressure, in fact, is the old childhood standby of thumbsucking--a habit whose required secrecy further adds to his sense of alienation.

Unexpected help comes in the form of his orthodontist and self-appointed psychiatrist Dr. Perry Lyman (Keanu Reeves). Played with pitch-perfect deadpan styling, Reeves' New Age-esque Perry attempts to cure Justin of his thumbsucking addiction by first advising him to imagine and turn to his "power animal" whenever he feels stress and then ultimately by hypnotizing him. The technique works, but Justin, no longer able to take solace in his thumb, ends up feeling even more disconnected. From there, his search for a stabilizing force detours through prescription meds for Attention Deficit Disorder Syndrome to marijuana, with results ping-ponging from skyrocketing success on the debate team to pot-smoking passivity.

Culminating in a conversation between Justin and a television star (Benjamin Bratt, appearing in another of the film's winning cameos) who is a patient at the high-end addiction treatment center where Audrey works as a nurse, "Thumbsucker" is a beautifully acted examination of the longing for fulfillment and the emptiness that often occurs when one puts too much faith in a pacifying source.

Anchoring the film is the key performance turned in by Pucci, who displays the remarkable range demanded for the role with total credibility. Much of his onscreen success, however, also can be attributed to the marvelous interactions that take place between his character and the well-assembled cast of adults. In addition to Reeves and Bratt, Vince Vaughn is exceptional as Justin's compassionate yet borderline-overly-involved debate team coach, while Swinton and D'Onofrio portray with subtle accuracy a loving but struggling set of parents dealing with the modern angsty teenager.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Pav
Elite Fan

Maja, please add me to the list.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:41 AM
Total Fan

Hi mukooh! Welcome to the thread!
Wow, you must be one of the few people that have actually seen Thumbsucker! How did you like it? Thanks for the trailer and the summary! And the poster looks really interesting!

Pavla! It's so nice to see you here! Added you darling!
Old 09-18-2005, 05:40 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tery
Hi mukooh! Welcome to the thread!
Wow, you must be one of the few people that have actually seen Thumbsucker! How did you like it? Thanks for the trailer and the summary! And the poster looks really interesting!

hi....i enjoyed it.....but then again...i dance to a different drummer....most of the films that i see tend to be called "art house" films........'thumbsucker' is probably one of the most interesting films that i've seen this year........here's another quote from another reviewer...which pretty much sums up the essence of the movie.......

"Thumbsucker" isn't as accessible as "Garden State" or as psychologically arresting as "Donnie Darko," but it finds a certain magic in the drab suburban surroundings that its genre cousins may have missed. Specifically, it does away with the fashionably cynical notion (championed in last year's abysmal "Ordinary Heroes") that there's something ignoble about the forces that encourage us to be admired, remembered and successful. As if these filmmakers were motivated by anything else.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:58 AM
Master Fan

nice to see we have a thread already, add me to the list too

Im looking foward to his new film with Sandra; loved them together in Speed .
Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sasha
Old 09-18-2005, 12:51 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Keanu is terrific! Please add me to the list also.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

In the Future: Keanu Reeves, Tilda Swinton
Addictive Personalities

Sasha
Old 09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Master Fan

Can you add me to the list .

BTW, I'm thinkin of doing my Intro to Film final on The Matrix Trilogy. Does anyone know of any really good Matrix websites?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

a audio review of 'thumbsucker' can be found here

click on the speaker icon next to the film's title to hear it........
Old 09-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Master Fan

I think Keanu's great. Please add me.

icon credit: miss-rebel86
Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hey!!

I love Keanu... DOn't know much about him, but I love him in movies...
Can I be added to the list, please??

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top