Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Master Fan

DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Club Lounge #1: No Lists of Collections | Rules in First Post

Carry on...

Quote:
Anyways read the rules and have fun posting all

Once again welcome back to the thread, welcome to the DVD Club Lounge. Some of you may remember this as the old Your DVD Collection thread, this thread is evolving and still revolving into something great. This is a thread for DVD Discussion, and all your DVD Needs. This is a place we can talk about our latest DVD buys, info about upcoming and new releases such as release dates and what?s on the DVD?s, talk about what cool features our on other DVD, recommendations on good DVD?s, talk about our collections too, and more?. Anyways I can?t wait to get this thread started, this has been a wonderful place, I?ve met very wonderful people, and friends, and I hope this will continue on.
Before you start posting Please read the rules

This time, gonna try a new rule in the past we had a rule u could post your collection list, but gonna try to this new rule, what do u guys think about it, not allowing people to post their lists of collections ? or maybe having a new limit of how many dvds can be listed of people with small collections, anyways would love to hear your guys feedback.

So here?s a sum on what we can discuss on the thread:
- Our latest Buys: meaning talking about like where u bought, how much, and what cool things are on the DVD, and how u like it and other stuff
- News on New Release and Upcoming Releases: like release dates for DVD?s and what the features for them.
- Features on DVD?s like what DVD?s have great features
- Recommendations
- Talk about your collection, like what?s in it. (Post a outside link only of your collection)
- Questions u have about movies on DVD, or other questions which have to do with DVD?s
- A DVD discussion thread, questions and more
- And many more things???.

Thread Rules (must read, very important):
- No List posting of collections, an outside link to it is ok for your collection? There are some good DVD cataloging sites to keep track of your collections. I use DVD profiler is a good piece of software and is free. then post a link on the board, so others can see.
~ DVD Cataloging software and sites:
Invelos Software's DVD Profiler - DVD Collection Software for the DVD and Blu-ray Enthusiast
http://www.guzzlefish.com
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/

- please try to post an actual sentence when posting, this means when posting, post a full sentence.

Anyways I hope to see everyone posting on the thread, hopefully the fun can continue like the old days, and I totally think it will, it will flow a lot better now I think with this new format. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, see u guys posting. Hopefully this thread turns in to a great discussion thread.
- Gavin

My LJ for Movies

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-06-2018 at 08:38 PM
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

The last DVD movie I picked up was Team America and I loved it, very funny film. I've got a bit of a backlog of things I bought and haven't gotten around to watching. Fortunately since I stopped my DVD spree to go back to buying music for a while I'm starting to work through them all. At the moment I'm loving Arrested Development Season 1 and recently finished Scrubs Season 1. Both are EXCELLENT series that I missed the original broadcasts of and I am really looking forward to watching the second season of both very soon. I've got Smallville Season 3 waiting to start (they never showed this series past S2 here in Australia) and a couple of asian films Hero and Bichunmoo that I've gotta get around to watching too. I'm terrible, I see a bargain and I grab it thinking "Yeah I'll get around to watching that..." Yeah.. I'm working on it.
Chandler in a box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Addicted Fan

I saw somewhere that there will be a director's cut of Pirates of the Caribbe<n. Anyone know if it will be any huge changes to the movie? Or some new extra material?
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Elite Fan

I recently got The Notebook and Birth. The Notebook made me cry just because it was so romantic and sad but Birth was very disappointing at the end.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Titanic soon

Last edited by -Kelly-; 12-24-2011 at 07:52 AM Reason: wrong other dvds info.
-Kelly- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I saw somewhere that there will be a director's cut of Pirates of the Caribbe<n. Anyone know if it will be any huge changes to the movie? Or some new extra material?
I haven't heard that but there was so much detail in the original DVD release (TONS of bonus material) that I would be surprised, actually. Of course, that probably won't stop them.

My LJ for Movies
Old 09-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Elite Fan

POTC: Director's Cut? Wow, I haven't heard anything about that but damn! The movie has SO much stuff in it that I can't imagine that anything important was actually left out!
Old 09-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Master Fan

I think the last DVD I got was HP PoA, the prices have gone up so fast that I can't buy that much films anymore. In my DVD store they used to sell DVDs for 6€ so it was pretty easy to find something you wanted, but now they're back to the 20€ and that's more difficult.

The one I can't wait to buy is Before Sunset. I rented it last week and it was simply amazing, I can't wait to get it and see it again.
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"
- cris - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

hi....thought i'd drop by to share some helpful hints about what to do about about dirty or scrathed dvds that wouldn't play correctly.....(taken from another forum that i belong to)......i've tried these methods and they've worked for me on some unreadable or unplayable dvds......

Mild cleaning:

Start with a mild dishwashing detergent in clean warm water. Use a clean cotton cloth and lightly wipe the bottom (not the label side) radially (from center hole to outer edge), working your way around the disk. Rinse thoroughly, then wipe (radially) both sides until it's dry. Grasp the disk by the edges or center hole and edge (never put your fingers on the data area), place the disk on the tray of your DVD-ROM or burner and let it air-dry for a few minutes, then attempt to rip the problem area.

Mild cleaning rarely solves the problem, but it's a good place to start, especially with brand new discs (to remove residue from the manufacturing process), or discs that have been used by children with sticky fingers, or lent to friends, etc.

Thorough cleaning:
Supplies needed:
- (2) Clean 'lint free' cotton cloth(s) or
- A couple clean paper towels and (1) cotton cloth
- Water
- Isopropyl Alcohol (I prefer the 99% stuff, although rubbing alcohol @70% is probably ok)

1) Take a cotton cloth or the paper towels and wet them with water, wring them out thoroughly so they are damp (not wet) and lay it out flat on a clean, solid, flat surface. The idea here is to keep the disc from sliding around the table, and protect the label side from being scratched.

2) Place the DVD UpSide DOWN, on the paper towel. DVD's are similar to CD's the laser reads the data from the bottom, so this is the surface we want to clean.

3) Wet a small area of the dry cotton cloth with the alcohol and wipe the DVD from the center to the edge (radially), keep moving around the disk until you've cleaned the whole thing. (don't wipe in a circular motion)

4) Pick the disc up with a dry area of the cloth, give both sides a gentle wipe across the disk to dry it off (again don't wipe in a circular motion).

5) Grasp the disk by the edges with your bare hand and take it to your DVD-ROM or burner. (never put your fingers on the surface of the disk, fingerprints can also cause read errors and oils from your skin could damage the clear coating over time)

6) Open the tray of your DVD-ROM or burner and gently place the disk in the tray. Let it sit there for a minute or two to air dry. Don't blow on it, don't wipe up dust in the area, don't smoke near it while the tray is open.

7) If it still has trouble playing, next step is polishing.

Polishing The Disk
If cleaning doesn't resolve the problem the next step is to polish it. To read a Dual Layer disk the laser has to pass thru 2 clear layers of plastic, we will polish the top layer (which actually fills in small scratches) so the laser can stay focused properly.

Supplies needed:
- (2) Clean 'lint free' cotton cloth(s) or
- A couple clean paper towels and (1) cotton cloth
- Water
- Non-wax furniture polish (Pledge, Endust, etc)

1) Take a cotton cloth or the paper towels and wet them with water, wring them out thoroughly so they are damp (not wet) and lay it out flat on a clean, solid, flat surface. The idea here is to keep the disc from sliding around the table, and protect the label side from being scratched.

2) Place the DVD UpSide DOWN, on the paper towel. DVD's are similar to CD's the laser reads the data from the bottom, so this is the surface we want to clean.

3) Follow the directions on the furniture polish label (Shake vigorously, etc). Very lightly spray the furniture polish directly onto the disk, you don't need to coat the whole disk, apply sparingly!

3) Use the clean/dry cotton cloth and lightly rub the polish from center hub to the outer edge of the disk. Advance around the disk and use a fresh area of the cloth as you get halfway. When you've polished the entire disk, find a clean area of the cloth and again lightly rub from center to rim until you've done the whole disk surface.

4) Pick up the disk with a fresh area of the cloth and lightly wipe the label side to dry it. Be careful the disk will be very slippery, don't drop it!

5) Grasp the disk by the edges with your bare hand and take it to your DVD-ROM or burner. (never put your fingers on the surface of the disk, fingerprints can also cause read errors and oils from your skin could damage the clear coating over time)

6) Open the tray of your DVD-ROM or burner and gently place the disk in the tray. Let it sit there for a minute or two to air dry. Don't blow on it, don't wipe up dust from the area, don't smoke near it while the tray is open.
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
POTC: Director's Cut? Wow, I haven't heard anything about that but damn! The movie has SO much stuff in it that I can't imagine that anything important was actually left out!
This one was actually a bit long for a kid's movie already, and it still has a director's cut? Yeesh.

Bought DVDs last Thursday. There was an ad in the Jackie Brown DVD for the Pulp Fiction DVD which I absolutely loved. Something about your 10 favorite questions, like "Who's Zed?" and "What?!"

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Princess Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

Just bought Finding Nemo for my grandmother's 85th birthday - she loves that movie!
(no idea why I hadn't bought it before as I definitely meant to, but somehow never got the time)

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Absolute Fan

i just bought the director's cut of Daredevil. i'm a huge fan of the movie.
jalapeno_wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Loyal Fan

I always love the trailers that are on the dvd's, I don't know why, but I'm a huge fan of watching trailers.

One Tree Hill fifth season, I'm all ready for it
illyria_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyria_girl
I always love the trailers that are on the dvd's, I don't know why, but I'm a huge fan of watching trailers.
Personally, I feel the trailers are the most important part of ANY DVD. Commentaries are cool but some are boring and pointless. Trailers are awesome all the time.

I sometimes gather up a few DVDs and have a trailer/teaser marathon.

Last movies I bought on DVD:

-The New World
-Losing Isaiah
-Mansfield Park
Old 05-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

Recently purchased

- Fantastic Four
- Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith
- Saw II

I am planning on buying: Wayne's World, Underworld: Evolution (when it comes out), Star Wars Episode I, IV, V, and VI.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread