Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Elite Fan

The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) #1: Because it's really about what you believe.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is about an extremely rare decision made by the Catholic Church, which officially recognized the demonic possession of a 19 year-old college freshman. Told in terrifying flashbacks, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" chronicles the haunting trial of the priest accused of negligence resulting in the death of the young girl believed to be possessed. Inspired by true events, the film stars Laura Linney as the lawyer who takes on the task of defending the priest (Tom Wilkinson) who performed the controversial exorcism.

I just saw this movie and I have to say that it's not your typical horror movie. If you're looking for something to creep you out like "The Grudge" or something, well this isn't that type of thriller movie. I have to admit that this movie does have it's freaky moments but at the end, I was left with the sense of a spiritual fulfillment like, "When it comes down to the scariest moments or challenges in your life, are you going to have faith?" I know some of you will be like "Huh?" but it just felt that way for me. Anyway, please post your thoughts ands comments and again, I'd recommend anyone to see it.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

I cant wait to see this film, it looks great and very scary since its based on true events, those are always scary
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Total Fan

I thought that it was a really well-done movie. There were parts that scared me, but for the most part it just inspired thought. Someone I know typed out a passage from a book on possessions about the actual case that inspired this movie...

"In November 1973 Anneliese Michel, a young student at the University of Wurzburg, West Germany, was taken by her parents to see the parish priest in her hometown of Klingenberg. She had developed some worrisome signs of abnormal behavior at the university-refusing to eat, flying into violent rages, screaming, and trying to attack those around her-and her parents were deeply concerned.

In the priest's view, Anneliese was possessed by demons, and he reccomended a ritual exorcism. As Roman Catholic procedure requires, the case was investigated by a leading authority on exorcism and demonic possession, Father Adolf Rodewyk, an 81 year-old Jesuit. Father Rodewyk agreed with the priest's diagnosis, and on his reccomendation the regional bishop, Father Josef Stangl, gave permission for the exorcism to take place. The exorcists chosen for the task were the Reverend Arnold Renz and the Reverend Ernst Alt. By then Anneliese had been receiving medical treatment for epilepsy for four years.

On July 1, 1976, after several months of exorcism, Anneliese died of malnutrition and dehydration at the age of 23. She weighed 70 pounds. On March 2, 1978, the two exorcists and Anneliese's parents were charged with negligent homicide, on the grounds that they had allowed the young girl's condition to deteriorate to the point of death without seeking medical help for her. Bishop Stangl and Father Rodewyk, who seem not to have known that medical help was being withheld, were not charged. In April 1978 the two priests were found guilty and were given suspended prison sentences of six months.

For the Roman Catholic Church, the death of Anneliese Michel was a nightmare come true, demonstrating the dangers inherent in the ritual of exorcism and the murky distinctions between priestly and medical responsibility. In Father Rodewyk's own handbook on possession and exorcism, originally published in 1963 and translated into English under the title "Possessed by Satan", priests are urged to consider medical explanations for apparent possession."
Jezebel In Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that info, Bridget. You know, I knew the movie was based on a true story but I wasn't sure if it actually was about Emily Rose. The end of the movie gave information about Emily Rose so it must've been based on her story.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i saw this movie today..,it was so crazy, and it was kinda scary
ocfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

I want to see this movie so bad. but no theatre near me is getting it.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Dedicated Fan

I saw it today. I wanted to see this movie for its psychological views behind it so it was very interesting to see both views from the DA and the PA of facts and faith. I also liked how the movie was written. There were parts that creeped me out a little, but other than that it was very good.
dark noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Elite Fan

This movie is unbelievably scary for someone like me, who deeply believes in the spiritual real and is a Christian.

It hit close to home and the movie was SO well done. The girl who played Emily put herself through quite a path so I applaud her for playing this character so well.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
This movie is unbelievably scary for someone like me, who deeply believes in the spiritual real and is a Christian.
Me too. That's one reason I haven't completely decided to see it. I think I will check it out next weekend though as I've heard good things about it.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Master Fan

I just came back from seeing the movie. I have to say it was really good and the actress Jennifer Carpenter did a great job as Emily Rose.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sounds like the movie is really worth seeing, Im tryting to plan on seeing it this coming up weekend
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Elite Fan

I forgot to say how amazing Laura Linney was. She rocked, she keeps getting better (if that's possible) in all types of roles. She's a true talent!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

It's interesting that the actress who played as Emily was also in White Chicks. What a big change in roles for her!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Master Fan

This movie was really well done, I love how they made it out to be like a courtroom drama and a horror flick at the same time.

Jennifer Carpenter is an amazing actress...and going from White Chicks to this is a big step!

Let's hope she gets some roles soon for other movies!
M.I.S.S.Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Master Fan

There are some moments in this movie that terrified me so much! I watched it with my sister and cousin, and we could barely move from our seats.

But this film is really good, and has an enlightening moral lessons, such as having a very strong faith in God and courage to do what is right even though it's so hard.

Last edited by Gean; 01-12-2008 at 07:06 AM
Gean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread