Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Legend

St. Elmo's Fire (1985) #1: "I can't remember who met who first..."

Ok, I friggin' love this movie! I think it was one of the most realistic post high school coming-of-age movies ever!
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

I sooo wanna see it! I love Maggie and totally wanna see the movie, ive jsut never got around to it
spinnerandpaigeshipper
nyjoeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Maggie...?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

This movie is the best! Thanks for starting the thread. I love it so and the music from David Foster great, lovely video for it as well.
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

You're welcome, I love it too, I remember you from the thread over at the 80s forum.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Elite Fan

Ahhh man. This movie rocks. I bought the DVD for $6 I always feel so good after I wartch it. A bittersweet feeling but good nonetheless.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree, this movie rocks, I never get tired of it!

Who else ships Billy and Wendy....?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Obsessed Fan

What makes this film so historic is if you listen to the commentary by director Joel Schumacher, he literally was able to capture the essence of what the 1980s were for an entire generation. A lot of film makers have tried to do this through to the present, but none of them have managed to do it in such a way to where the style and setting of the film defines the film itself.

Times change, but growing up in the '80s and getting right out of college was probably one of the hardest decades because there were so many expectations and excesses... Both self-imposed and by society... That ultimately, a lot of them did implode -- like Jules (Demi Moore's character) -- And didn't know what they were supposed to be doing, just that they were supposed to be doing "something".

I think the best part of this film is the friendship that sees all the characters through the good times and bad. Like the quote goes... "I can't remember who met who first... Just that there was always the six of us".
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCkLeS4dAwSoN
I agree, this movie rocks, I never get tired of it!

Who else ships Billy and Wendy....?
I'm always on & off with that 'ship! I just think how much of a jerk Billy can be and Wendy deserves way better... But then she loves him so much. I the couple when he's nice to her. Ahhhh..

UM excellent point! I've listened to the commentary once but it was quite late so I wasn't able to absorb all Shumacher was saying but yeah, that was one of his strongest points.

I was born in '83 so I don't really consider myself an 80's person because I remember so little of it, naturally. Yet this movie feels like I imagine the 80's felt and that's amazing. My aunt, my brother and sister always talk about the 80's and especially my aunt is still in love with the music, the whole "magic" of the decade.

I never listen to them saying anything bad about the decade but this movie captures the bad times in such a light that you can almost get as frustrated as the characters. When Wendy is at work telling a woman that she can have an education or get a nice job then the camera focuses on the woman with like 4 kids and she replies, "just give me my check". That's a nice scene and I feel Wendy's pain.

I could go on and on because I love this movie. I know it's not Oscar stuff but it contains tons of my all time favorite lines.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I just listened to the commentary, and loved it!

Oh, to help you out the quote is actually "I can't remember who met who first, or who fell in love with who first. All I can remember is the seven of us always together."- I love that!
Old 07-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't know until a few weeks ago that Mare ("Wendy") was pregnant during the filming of the movie. IMBD rocks.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh wow, she was? I didn't know that either, lol.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCkLeS4dAwSoN
Oh wow, she was? I didn't know that either, lol.
Indeed! I was checking out the trivia at IMBD at it said something like, "Mare Winningham played a virgin in St. Elmo's while being pregnant".

Quickly I though about the love scene between her and Robe Lowe, I remembered it looking odd and it probably was because she was pregnant their 'positions' had to be kept off her belly. Which is kinda cool!
Old 07-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Master Fan

Okay...*feels guilty*...I really hated this film.

Since this didn't say "appreciation" I thought you might want to know but I won't insult you by bashing the film. Just know that these movies were my exact generation and it was really disappointing that I didn't like it.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Elite Fan

No, no! Tell us why! It's always cool to have a different opinion (in my case at least) because I can have other POVs while watching the movie.