Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 07:41 PM
New Fan

Comic Book/Graphic Novel Adaptations #1

With Spider-Man 2 being one of the year's top films, and Batman Begins, Fantastic Four and Elektra all due out in 2005, it seems like comic book movies are big business again. But we all know that the villains are really what make these movies worth watching. What bad guys do you think rank among the best to appear in a comic book movie?

Before I say my top ten, I'll mention some glaring omissions. No bad guys from the Blade franchise were included as I don't personally view them as "comic book movies". Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor didn't make the cut because its been years since I've seen a Superman movie and I can't really remember the specifics of his performance. And while Kingpin is a great comic book character, and Michael Clarke Duncan played the role well, he was too criminally underused to make my shortlist. Now, here's my top ten:

10. COLONEL WILLIAM STRYKER (X2)
I wasn't sure if this guy would count, since I didn't thinnk he was in the actual comics. But I did my research, and it turns out that William Stryker showed up in the X-Men comic arc called "God Loves, Man Kills." This part was excellently played by Brian Cox, and despite having no superpowers, Cox's performance made him seem like a match for Xavier and Magneto.
BEST LINE: "I was pilotin' Black Ops missions in the jungles of North Vietnam while you were suckin' on your mama's tit at Woodstock, Kelly. Don't lecture me about war. This already is a war."

9. THE RIDDLER (BATMAN FOREVER)
Jim Carrey gets a lot of criticism for his OTT portrayal of The Riddler, but I personally think it is a fun performance. Carrey is clearly having a great time in the movie, and his presence (and the absence of Alicia Silverstone) means that this third installment in the Batman franchise is a good deal better than the risible "Batman & Robin".
BEST LINE: "Joygasm!"

8. THE GREEN GOBLIN (SPIDER-MAN)
Willem Dafoe is the perfect Norman Osborn. His portrayal of Osborn's gradual mental breakdown is fascinating to watch, and his conversation with himself in the mirror is a highlight of the film. What prevents him getting higher in the rankings is, well, the bit where he actually plays The Green Goblin. He tries his best, but his performance is lost in the poorly made costume.
BEST LINE: "Had you not been so selfish, your little girlfriend's death would have been quick and painless, but now that you've really pissed me off, I'm gonna finish her nice and slow."

7. CATWOMAN (BATMAN RETURNS)
No, not Halle Berry (thought she seems to be seen as the scourge of the comic book movie at the moment) but Michelle Pfeiffer. For nearly a decade, Catwoman was the sexiest villainess ever to appear in a comic book movie. But a few years back, she was knocked off the top spot by...
BEST LINE: "Life's a bitch; now so am I."

6. MYSTIQUE (X-MEN / X2)
Sorry Catwoman, a leather catsuit is sexy, but not quite blue body paint. Of course, Mystique has more than sex appeal going for her. She was a great character in X-Men, but didn't really let loose until the sequel, where she proved to be a real ass-kicker, and got a bigger role in the movie as well.
BEST LINE: "You know, people like you are the reason I was afraid to go to school as a child."

5. THE PENGUIN (BATMAN RETURNS)
A highly underrated villain in my opinion. The Penguin is at once monstrous and tragic. Out of all the Batman movie villains, he's arguably the one you pity the most, but is also the one with the most despicable evil plan (killing all the babies?). In my opinion, this is still the high point of Danny DeVito's career.
BEST LINE: "I believe the word you are looking for is "AAAAAAHHH"!"

4. BULLSEYE (DAREDEVIL)
Say what you will about "Daredevil" (I personally enjoyed it) but ou can't deny that Colin Farrell's maniacal hitman Bullseye is the highlight of the film. He's only in about 6 scenes, but he manages to run away with the whole film. Farrell portrays Bullseye in a completely OTT fashion, but that's okay, since this is an OTT character. The scene where he kills the old lady with a peanut ("More peanuts...please") even goes down a treat with people who don't like the movie. He says he wants a bloody costume, I'd say give him a bloody spin-off movie!
BEST LINE: "You're good, baby, I'll give you that... but me? I'm magic."

3. MAGNETO (X-MEN / X2)
Sir Ian McKellan deservedly gets great praise for his portrayal of Gandalf in "The Lord of The Rings", but I personally think his performance as arch-villain Magneto in the X-Men villains is just as triumphant. Even before you count in his formidable magnetic powers (his escape from prison in X2 is awe-inspiring) he creates a real presence through his voice alone.
BEST LINE: "Oh yes! A bolt of lightning into a large copper conductor. I thought you lived at a school."

2. DOCTOR OCTOPUS (SPIDER-MAN 2)
Spider-Man 2 improves on its predecessor in just about every way, but the aspect that is most improved upon is the villain: Doctor Octopus. I always liked this character, even before the movie. A mad scientist with mentally-controled, metallic tentacles grafted to his body? They just don't come up with concepts like that any more. Character actor Alred Molina more than lives up to the expectations of Doc Ock fans like myself, adding an emotional complexity to the character not seen in the comics. After a few years, given time for the performance to age a little, he may even move up to my number one spot, but at the moment that spot still belongs to...
BEST LINE: "The power of the sun... in the palm of my hand!"

1. THE JOKER (BATMAN)
The definitive comic book movie villain, even after 15 years. Jack Nicholson's hamtastic performance as the clown prince of crime is so great, that it not only tops the ranks in terms of comic book movie villains, but ranks among the best movie villains of any genre. Poor Michael Keaton - he's playing Batman, the title character, but The Joker just dominates the movie completely. I pity the unfortunate actor who has to play The Joker in the new Batman franchise, as they will have a hard time topping Jack's crazily brilliant performance.
BEST LINE: "Jack is dead, my friend. You can call me... The Joker. And as you can see, I'm a lot happier!"

Well, who are your favourite comic book movie villains?
Vic Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Master Fan

Hiya! Welcome to the boards.

I have to say that my little heart is filled with joy to read so comprehensive and well thought out a list as yours. It's true, I'm not into comic book films, but I might be after reading your profiles...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
New Fan

Thanks for the big welcome, shrrshrr, that's the first one I've got!

And thanks for complimenting my post. I'm one of those complusive types that always feels the need to put things into top ten lists. I'm also the kind of guy that tends to ramble, so a lot of my posts are likely to be as long-winded as this.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

I am sad that you didn't include Lex Luthor, because he rocks! I think Gene Hackman played him well - as a quirky off the wall type character with a definite crazy streak but helluva likeable! Very rarely will you find a villian that is not darkly evil... (I mean he got worse - more evil as the series of movies went on but still...)

But I think the real baddy that shined in Superman the movie was General Zod... now that guy was 'dark' and nasty and well played by Terence Stamp (who I am pretty sure has a role in the upcoming Elektra movie you mention)...

One of my best baddy's from comic book movies but has gotta be Deacon Frost from Blade played by Stephen Dorff... (Although I can see why you haven't included blade as a comic book movie) what a guy huh, a guy so bad thaty he even wastes his own kind to rise to power and get what he wants and good looking to boot, bad guys are always so more effective when they are hot (prime example being Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers!)...

I'm feeling you on the whole bullseye vibe Colin Farrell certainly did shine in a movie that I thought was lack luster at best...

Anyway those are the only ones that stand out for me off the top of my head but I will go away think about it and get back to ya!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:37 PM
New Fan

I was torn about including Blade, as I agree with you. Deacon Frost is a great villain. I also really liked Ron Perlman's Reinhardt from Blade 2. But I thought about it, and decided that Blade was an obscure comic book character, and hte movies pretty much created their own mythology for the character rather htan being too true to the comics.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:25 AM
Master Fan

I have to agree with your list, Jack Nicholson as The Joker in Batman really set the bar of how comic movie villians should be played out. I was watching a special on comic book movies on the E Channel this past summer and alot of people believe due to his performance the movie could have easily been renamed the Joker.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:25 AM
Master Fan

Ramble away - we love discussion, here!

By the way, when I first read your post the person that actually came to mind was a comic book villain who wasn't a "real" comic book villain - that of Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Glass in Unbreakable. I really liked this film, surprisingly, but more importantly I liked the fact that it was a study in the pathology of how and why a villain would be created/developed.

But as I said, he's not a "real" comic book villain, and the film was sadly underrated because it came after The Sixth Sense (a film that I think is overrated).

My LJ for Movies
Old 12-26-2004, 05:31 PM
New Fan

I also prefer "Unbreakable" to "The Sixth Sense". Don't get me wrong, I liked "The Sixth Sense", but the only reason "Unbreakable" is viewed as inferior is because it doesn't have as memorable a twist (although "Unbreakable"'s twist is great as well).

"Unbreakable" has Bruce Willis in it, just like "The Sixth Sense", but where "Unbreakable" gets one up on "The Sixth Sense" is the inclusion of Samuel L Jackson. I like Haley Joel Osmond and everything, but he's no Samuel L Jackson.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by uriah
One of my best baddy's from comic book movies but has gotta be Deacon Frost from Blade played by Stephen Dorff... (Although I can see why you haven't included blade as a comic book movie) what a guy huh, a guy so bad thaty he even wastes his own kind to rise to power and get what he wants and good looking to boot, bad guys are always so more effective when they are hot (prime example being Gary Oldman in Bram Stokers!)...
I totally agree.

His presence is a big reason why I adored the first movie.

My favorite villian is from the SpiderMan cartoon I used to watch so I assume he was in the comics to, Carnage. I hope that he'll be in the third one since the guy MJ was going to marry was an astronaut and thats how Venom was brought about and that's who Carnage came from. I know he proabaly won't be but I can dream.

I also really liked Michelle Phiffer's CatWoman, she was made for that role.

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.
Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Spike's 99th kitten
-Chaz
Clash181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Mackey
I also prefer "Unbreakable" to "The Sixth Sense". Don't get me wrong, I liked "The Sixth Sense", but the only reason "Unbreakable" is viewed as inferior is because it doesn't have as memorable a twist (although "Unbreakable"'s twist is great as well).

"Unbreakable" has Bruce Willis in it, just like "The Sixth Sense", but where "Unbreakable" gets one up on "The Sixth Sense" is the inclusion of Samuel L Jackson. I like Haley Joel Osmond and everything, but he's no Samuel L Jackson.
WORD, yo.

But yes, I'd have to agree.

And getting back to the Superman issue, I was never a superhero comic book person as I prefered the ghost ones (from the '70s, when I was a kid/teen - remember those?). Used to scare the crap out of me... Anyway, I couldn't tell you what Lex Luthor should have been like, but I like Gene Hackman and I thought he was an entertaining, even complex villian considering the overall lack of quality of the film (which I loved, it just does't hold up very well, today).

My LJ for Movies
Old 12-26-2004, 11:08 PM
Master Fan

The Joker is crazy. I remember in the movie where he has a scene with Kim Basinger and says "Beauty before Beast" or whatever and then says "But if anyone else calls you Beast, my dear, I'll rip their f'ing heart out" or something like that. Always makes me laugh.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Elite Fan

I thought of turning this into a Comic Book/Graphic Novel adaptations thread.

Filmcritic lists The Five Biggest Losers (Adaptations) to Hit the Big Screen

The Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four
The League, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
The Minutemen/The Watchmen, Watchmen
Nightstalkers, Blade: Trinity
Team Zenith, Zoom

I admit I liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Watchmen. I completely agree about Blade: Trinity, which was terrible, IMO.

I never watched Zoom or any of the Fantastic Four movies.

Sin City and 300 have to be two of the best. Granted, I'm only judging the movies since I don't read comic books; my appreciation of the 'adaptation' is very limited in that sense.
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Sin City was fun. ''Batman & Robin'' is the worst comic book to film adaption that I've seen. If you enjoy overacting & one-liners though such as ''allow me to break the ice'' & hearing the words 'ice'' ''chill'' & ''cold'' a lot then check it out. Some of the acting in it, especially by Uma Thurman, could make you laugh your ass off.
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Sin City was fun. ''Batman & Robin'' is the worst comic book to film adaption that I've seen. If you enjoy overacting & one-liners though such as ''allow me to break the ice'' & hearing the words 'ice'' ''chill'' & ''cold'' a lot then check it out. Some of the acting in it, especially by Uma Thurman, could make you laugh your ass off.
Sin City is incredibly entertaining.

I never watched Batman & Robin. I remember we went to see it in a group but I decided to watch something else at the last minute, so I took one of my cousins with me.
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR (View Post)
I admit I liked League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
I liked it too - I'll admit it was mainly because of Shane West, but it was still a good movie.
youtube; twitter; tumblr
theirishpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread