Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Aviator (2004) #1

The Aviator

http://www.apple.com/trailers/mirama...r/trailer.html

Summary: A biopic depicting the early years of legendary director and aviator Howard Hughes' (Leonardo Di Caprio) career, from the late 1920's to the mid-1940's. Co-stars Alec Baldwin, Gwen Steffani, Kate Blanchett and Kate Beckinsale. Directed by Martin Scorsese.

This film has already been nominated for serveral Golden Globes including Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress and Best Picture (Drama).

========

I am looking forward to this because I respect Leo as a person and actor.

He is one of the quintessential figures of my generation (Gen X) and he picks his projects wisely and does what he thinks will not only entertain, but inform and educate the public as well.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Master Fan

I wanna see it because of all the great actresses they got to portray his love interests and I like those old timey feeling movies the backgrounds and settings are beautiful! and the way women dressed back then...so classy!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Master Fan

It's a Kate movie; I'm there!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

i plan on seeing 'the aviator'....when i get the time to fit it in....it's a real butt warmer at 169 minutes.....although i've read some reviews of the film, where the critics have said it feels more like 2 hours...because it's so good and because of the pacing.......this will be one of the few (i can count on one hand) mainstream films that i'll see or have seen this year.......i guess the real reason i'll see this film is because it's a biopic....of an extremely interesting, self driven, brilliant man who eventually, in alot of respects, became a freak.......long before it became popular......
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

I saw The Aviator tonight (Friday) and I was BLOWN AWAY!!! Everyone go see it!!
PinkPearl108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

*sigh* I have to wait till February to see it here in Australia.

How was Cate B in it?

Twitter: nlm78
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by gossipcom
*sigh* I have to wait till February to see it here in Australia.

How was Cate B in it?
She gave a terrific performance! Great acting by all! -- but Leo took the cake.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:01 PM
Master Fan

I really want to see this movie. When Leo was on Oprah they showed one scene from the movie, I forgot which one it was but I remember thinking that Leo was just amazing in the scene. I think he is a wounderful actor and I can't wait to see him in this movie. Hopefully I'll see it soon.
Liliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

By the way! *** SPOILERS AHEAD***

There was a part in the movie where Leo's character and Cate. B's character were in a plane and he got up, stood in back of her, and let her ride the plane and my friend and I both looked at eachother and said: "I'm Flying!"

Last edited by PinkPearl108; 12-19-2004 at 06:22 PM
Old 12-20-2004, 04:06 AM
Master Fan

looks good, looks like it'll be great
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

I saw this movie this afternoon and of all the Golden Globe dramas that are nominated...

This one is the one to see in my opinion. It is probably going to get the Oscar for best picture and maybe even Leo for Best Actor.

Leo is at the top of his game potraying the many facets of Howard Hughes from dashing movie maker, to innovative aeronautic engineer to crazed eccentric.

The movie is nicely paced and keeps you interested even though it is two hours and fourty five minutes.

It may not do well at the box office... But it's going to be a force to contend with at the Oscars as far as movies as a whole as well individual categories such as director, screenplay, best supporting actor and actress, etc.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

I saw this movie today and I liked it. Leo did a great job. I think he might a nod. I think Scorsese will probably get the Oscar.

That Howard Hughs was insaine.

*****Spoilier********

I felt bad for the poor professor when they were going to take the boat/plane into flight. He looked so scared!
Old 01-02-2005, 03:55 AM
Master Fan

Am I the only person who didn't like it?

I think my main problem was just with the direction. I felt like the film just lacked a focus, a cohesiveness, and MS couldn't really get to the point that was so desperately reaching for, hence why the film ran for three hours. It either had too much to say and was bursting to tell it to you, or had nothing to say at all. I let it sit with me for a few days after I saw it, and I just didn't like it, which I think happens sometimes. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great either. Average, at best.

Leo was great, though. As was Cate Blanchette - I love her.
T O B Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 04:53 AM
Elite Fan

i loved this film

LEO BETTER WIN!
roswellcharmed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by T O B Y
It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great either. Average, at best.
That was how I viewed it when I left the theater. As someone who knows Howard Hughes' life pretty well, I was quite disappointed in this movie. It had a lot of potential but I don't think that Martin Scorsese had a very clear vision while making the film. It left me feeling pretty empty. After nearly 3 hours, I felt like I didn't even know any of the characters at all. I definately think that MS had too much to tell and couldn't tell it all.

Then again, there were these group of guys in the theater who wouldn't stop talking. The whole time. Annoyed the hell out of me so I couldn't concentrate on a damn thing. Maybe that's why I felt so disconnected from it all. Leo did do a very good job on it though but the person who blew me away was Cate Blanchette. She was just awesome throughout the whole thing.

I guess I'd recommend the movie, it did have some pretty amazing parts. Definately not one for the masses though.