Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Obsessed Fan

Are Indie Films Becoming Mainstream and Vice Versa?

I decided to start this topic because I was reading other message boards for movies like "Garden State" and "Closer" and the one question that kept coming up, but was never fully answered was:

Are current and future independent movies really that "independent" (genre term) as they seem...

Or does any film that has more character development/interaction with its characters now automatically qualify as an "indie" film when compared to most mainstream Hollywood films (even dramas) where this seems to be lacking?

What brought this on is that a lot of critics, other movie fans in this case, contend that a lot of indie films like "Garden State" and "Sideways" are just more refined versions of big budget films with just more emphasis on characters and no special effects and that's all.

In fact a lot of indie critics cite "GS" as a prime example for this argument.

They say it is mainstream film masquarading as an indie because there are a lot of obvious moments that are "mainstream" and that are "indie" -- But they are supposed to be; meaning they are forced and not genuine, the "happy ending" being the big one most critics cite.

So, is there some merit to this argument?

I have my own opinion on this, but I want to see what you have to say about it first.

UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

Well, I don't know exactly what it is considered 'indie' movies. All I know is that yes, I have grown tired of the mainstream Hollywood style, and while I still watch Hollywood movies, they are the ones that interest me the less. Now I'm heading more towards, as you said, movies with characters with more complex interactions; movies where I can see myself reflected, or the circunstances around me even if they're not happening to me. Years ago maybe I would have never thought of watching certain movies that now I do watch. Including spanish movies with a more social theme (sidenote: I'm from Madrid, Spain). Or developing an interest in european cinema, old and new: italian, english, french and german movies, for example.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Addicted Fan

I think that now it's kind of like there's two kinds of indies. The "true" indies, the ones that are way off-beat and low-budget and everything; and then the "big" indies, like Garden State. I really don't think Garden State and Closer are truly indie movies, but I also don't think they're quite mainstream. I think they're in between.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli:
I think that now it's kind of like there's two kinds of indies. The "true" indies, the ones that are way off-beat and low-budget and everything; and then the "big" indies, like Garden State. I really don't think Garden State and Closer are truly indie movies, but I also don't think they're quite mainstream. I think they're in between.
thanks, i'm in agreement with what you've posted....films like the ones mentioned above and even 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' all fall into a category i call "mainstream" independents......where they fit into a niche (easily recognizable themes and ideas....even pleasant....also their really pretty safe in their subject matter and where they go with it).......that alot of mainstream viewers of films would see if given the chance.....consequently at least where i live, theaters chains (century and amc) have started to release some of these films in their theaters because they've realized that's there's a market for them (read money).......

truly independent films are shown in "art house" theaters....most of the time next to universities......why? a younger, liberal audience...willing to explore ideas and themes not normally shown in a theater at your local mall....three good examples of true independents that i've seen this year are 'the brown bunny' (vincent gallo's film that roger ebert once called one of the worst films made....and then he reversed himself and gave it a thumbs up..after it was edited...basically the film is about a boy and his motorcycle).....'the mudge boy' (starring emile hirsch...from 'the girl next door'....it's a homoerotic film about a boy and his pet chicken).....and probably the most interesting....a french film called 'dans ma peau' (aka in my skin......the story of a young woman's descent into self mutilation and self canniablism)....these films weren't shown at your local theater, in a mall, and they probably never will be......don't look for them to rent at your local blockbuster either.......the subejct matter and ideas are just too far out and repulsive for most people...

finally are all independents good films???...far and above superior to anything you might see in your local mall theater??....goodness no...i recently had the extreme displeasure of watching 'p.s.' in a theater....it stars laura linney, topher grace, gabriel byrne, paul rudd and marcia gay harden.....it's probably the worst film that i've watched this year given the talent involved.....

to further emphasize the last paragraph....recently i became a pre screener for films (animation, shorts, documentaries, independents and foreign) that are being considered for inclusion into the 2005 newport beach film festival.....i've have yet to see any film that i'd pay any money to watch...and most of them would fall into the independent film category.....

anyway, if your looking for a true independent film, imo the best place to find it is next to the theater across the street from the university..my random thoughts......to a thread that deserves more imput......

meet me in zooport
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Elite Fan

I was not an "indie movie" kinda person but lately I have become madly interested in indie movies, etc.

So I would answer "yes", but I don't know the history of indie films so I'm not qualified to answer this question in a direct way.