Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Master Fan

War of the Worlds (2005) #1

this movie looks awesome. looks like it could be fun... the trailer was put up today on friday... I think this movie has some potential, with spielberg directing it...

anyways the trailer can be seen here

http://www.waroftheworlds.com/
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

Good old Grover's Mill, NJ

I hope this has no ressemblence to that show in the '80s that tried to mix Blade Runner and War of the Worlds into one bizarre "What if?" scenario (what if the aliens HAD won instead of lost).

Also, I hope they redo the ending (to both the book and the Orson Wells radio broadcast) because people like me who know this story already know how it ends as well.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Looks cool.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Master Fan

This looks really cool! I wanna go see it in theaters.

I wonder who Tom Cruise's character is in the film. Cause I heard he plays a dude. Inside joke... But yeah, I wonder cause it didn't tell too much, but it looks like a great action movie and since it will come out Summer 2005 you know it is gonna be a Blockbuster type movie.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Elite Fan

Hey!

A friend of mine, Chris, is going to be an extra in this movie. He went to Rockbridge high school last weekend & gave the people his measurements. He got a call the next day. Thought it was pretty cool to know someone in a movie. Anyhoo...lata.

- Lib
Old 12-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Master Fan

That's really cool. You'll have to let us know what scene he'll be in so we can watch for him.

Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Elite Fan

No worries, I will
Old 12-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

geez...how original....nothing new here......another remake of a 1938 radio broadcast...just another quick way to make a buck from gullible movie goers...............
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Just think, the book by H G Wells was published in 1898! That's a hundred and six years ago. But why have they made the story modern day and happening in the USA? I've nothing against that except every other aliens-invade-earth has done the same thing.

It would have been so much more interesting and 'different' (think ID4,Mars Attacks,Day the Earth Stood Still) to have made it as it was originally written. In Victorian England. But then I always hate it when they modernise any classical story. Except Di Caprios 'Romeo & Juliet' which was great.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LittleMilkJug
Just think, the book by H G Wells was published in 1898! That's a hundred and six years ago. But why have they made the story modern day and happening in the USA? I've nothing against that except every other aliens-invade-earth has done the same thing.

It would have been so much more interesting and 'different' (think ID4,Mars Attacks,Day the Earth Stood Still) to have made it as it was originally written. In Victorian England. But then I always hate it when they modernise any classical story. Except Di Caprios 'Romeo & Juliet' which was great.
Ask and ye shall receive:

Quote:
From Coming Attractions:

While much of the attention focused on a film adaptation of H.G. Wells' THE WAR OF THE WORLDS has been concentrated this week on the unveiling of the Paramount Pictures teaser trailer (slated for tomorrow), the indie film production company Pendragon Pictures has been working hard on their own version of the classic science fiction tale. Pendragon's movie, titled H.G. WELLS' THE WAR OF THE WORLDS, is set in the late 19th century as was Wells' novel, and this week the production is wrapping up its miniature photography. The attacks brought on by the Martian war machines are being created by a combination of both miniatures and computer graphics imagery (CGI).

"It's an exciting time," states director Timothy Hines about the milestone, "as we are bringing to life, one of the most fantasized about creations of Wells' imagination."

Pendragon states that the nine-foot tall Martian war machine miniatures were created by a team lead by miniature effects artist Michael Fransen. In the movie the fighting machines will appear as tentacled, ten-story high, three-legged walking machines that shoot poison gas and wield a heat-ray weapon, just as they are described in Wells' novel. On the opposing side of the war, the humans will be fighting back using period human artillery from that era. Sounds like a lopsided fight, but that's part of the fun of Wells' story.

Once the minature work is complete the production will move into editing, compositing and scoring of the film. Pendragon also informs us that their first theatrical trailer will be ready around the end of the month, meaning that there will be a double dose of WAR OF THE WORLDS to look forward to in December.
Concept Art:

UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Master Fan

I don't think the Victorian England setting would have played out too well on the big screen but that's just me.

I mean aliens in all their technology coming down to Earth and everyone is running around in corsets and petticoats??

Old 12-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Elite Fan

I can't believe that this movie is the reason Tom isn't doing Mission Impossible3 till 2006 now?

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

War of the Worlds Trailers Discussion

If you like the superbowl spot you are going to love this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5952

Has lots of new footage.
tinydancer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer821
If you like the superbowl spot you are going to love this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5952

Has lots of new footage.
Thanks for posting that. Hopefully the large trailer gets released soon. And that it's in somewhat good quality, since the Japanese trailer is kinda lacking.

Oh, and maybe you can edit the title so there can be discussions of all "War of the Worlds" and not just the Japanese Trailer.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think the mods have to change the title of the thread - I don't think us regular folks have the ability. But it is a great discussion. I am totally up for talking to anyone who is as excited about this as me.

I read yesterday that the "official" trailer is suppossed to be released with the Ring 2. Don't know if that is true - but if it is - I am so there. Can;t wait to see this on the big screen.
tinydancer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread