Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Part-Time Fan

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) #1

I just saw a trailer for the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie coming out this spring. The trailer didn't give away much but I loved the books so it should be great. Here is a link to the trailer:

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/index.html
tinydancer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm a looking forward to going on a hike with Arthur, Ford, a babble fish and a towel
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Ohh, saw the movie on preview night.

Everything I wanted and more!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Addicted Fan

I had an overwhelming urge to drink tea after watching this movie.

Alan Rickman, Martin Freeman and Bill Nighy were fab. It was slightly strange to watch their scenes because I kept on thinking about Love Actually and the roles they played there, hee. And it was great seeing Anna Chancellor, even though I can't think of her as any other role besides being Miss Bingley.

I've been singing that dolphin song all day long, and wanting that toaster slicer!

- Erin, from TWOP.
loquacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Extreme Fan

"So long and thanks for all the fish..."

I loved it (contrary to some 'fans' who have decided to linch it because of the updates) for what it was.
Martin Freeman was excellent as Arthur; more of a guy to relate to than the previous one in the BBC series. Mos Def was also very good as Ford, Bill Nighy... ahhh... wonderful as Slartibartfast!! Sam Rockwell as Zaphod... the was just priceless... and the second head... wow!!! I didn't mind the new character Humma and the 'point of view' gun... I thought it was very clever.
I hope some people understand that the changes were made by Douglas before he died!!!! And I really loved the new Marvin... so cute!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieTreg
"So long and thanks for all the fish..."

I loved it (contrary to some 'fans' who have decided to linch it because of the updates) for what it was.
Martin Freeman was excellent as Arthur; more of a guy to relate to than the previous one in the BBC series. Mos Def was also very good as Ford, Bill Nighy... ahhh... wonderful as Slartibartfast!! Sam Rockwell as Zaphod... the was just priceless... and the second head... wow!!! I didn't mind the new character Humma and the 'point of view' gun... I thought it was very clever.
I hope some people understand that the changes were made by Douglas before he died!!!! And I really loved the new Marvin... so cute!
Hhehe the Dolphins were so cute! And funny! And I wanna get that song!

I loved the POV gun. The actors were great. John Malkovich I love, so he was just fantastic. And when he took off his glasses That was scary.

I loved all the little touches that kept it close to the book, like the whale and the towels.

Can't wait for a sequel (hopefully there is one. They've gotta do the Restaurant at the End of the Universe!)

19th May 2005- The Sith gets its revenge. Where will you be?
carla t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Master Fan

Since you all are giving minor spoilers I'm going to change the thread title to reflect that.

And I can't wait to see the film - I'm so glad you all enjoyed it!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Absolute Fan

I'm gonna see it this Sunday with a friend.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Total Fan

I love this movie! It was hysterical. Loved Marvin, the Whale, and the parts about the Great White Handkerchief.

"Bless you!"

"I'm feeling very depressed."

Old 04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Nab
Absolute Fan

I cannot wait to see this movie. I've been waiting since last spring! Great to hear some postive feedback about it.

Humor is an affirmation of dignity.
Nab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Master Fan

This movie was mostly bad. Hitchhiker was not a love story, so why the triangle happened was a big mistake. It was enough that Arthur and Zaphod met earlier at a party, but it should have ended at that. I didn't buy the romance/jealousy angle and it distracted from the movie. That said, the flashback to how Arthur and Trillian met was histerical. They never showed that scene in the BBC version.

Did you notice the BBC series theme music during the movie title and the BBC Marvin?? I thought it was a great touch.

Ford was miscast. He should have not been a hug monger. I didn't mind that he was african-american, but he didn't have that something that convinced me that it was Ford Prefect.

Sam Rockwell was awesome as Zaphod. the "I'm from another planet" was hysterical.

One plot point that I hated was that Marvin wasn't left on Magrathea to wait millions of years to see the group at Milliways.

The Narrator moments were good, but there should have been more... Too bad people will miss the last one when the aliens will be eaten by a dog.
yossarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarin
This movie was mostly bad. Hitchhiker was not a love story, so why the triangle happened was a big mistake. It was enough that Arthur and Zaphod met earlier at a party, but it should have ended at that. I didn't buy the romance/jealousy angle and it distracted from the movie. That said, the flashback to how Arthur and Trillian met was histerical. They never showed that scene in the BBC version.
Actually, they did show a tiny bit of that scene on the BBC TV series. It's in one of the Guide entries - you see Arthur talking to a girl, then Zaphod's arm around her shoulders, and if you listen closely you hear his pickup line about being from another planet. There was a scene of this in the Infocom game too, and I think it comes up again in the later books (Mostly Harmless maybe?).

But the triangle was always there ... the basics of Arthur and Tricia meeting at a party, and Zaphod stealing her away. They just emphasized it more in this movie than other versions. HHGTTG did become something of a love story in later books, with Arthur and Fenchurch in So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Incidentally, there's another Hitchhiker thread over on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy board.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild
Incidentally, there's another Hitchhiker thread over on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy board.

Ooh - good to know. I'm highlighting this so people will see it and visit both boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacity
I had an overwhelming urge to drink tea after watching this movie.
I'm afraid I'll have the same reaction, especially as a rabid tea drinker. Oh, the horror!

By the way - I like your avatar, loquacity...and your screen name, too.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Absolute Fan

I loved Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin the robot, and it was great to see that Helen Mirren was the voice of Deep Thought. She spent her time watching television!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarin

Did you notice the BBC series theme music during the movie title and the BBC Marvin?? I thought it was a great touch.

Ford was miscast. He should have not been a hug monger. I didn't mind that he was african-american, but he didn't have that something that convinced me that it was Ford Prefect.

Sam Rockwell was awesome as Zaphod. the "I'm from another planet" was hysterical.

One plot point that I hated was that Marvin wasn't left on Magrathea to wait millions of years to see the group at Milliways.

The Narrator moments were good, but there should have been more... Too bad people will miss the last one when the aliens will be eaten by a dog.
I guess it needed to have a little love story for the update? It didn't bother me - as a kid I was always a serious Trillian/Arthur shipper!!!

The music from the BBC series was a nice touch, but I think I was the only person on the planet not to notice Douglas' nose! Oh well, seeing it again on Wednesday. Did you all see the BBC Marvin and yell out a cheer?

Mos Def as Ford didn't bother me as much as I though it would. I've always thought of Ford looking like David Dixon (from the TV show), kinda human, but stranger... pity he didn't get the purple-contact lense treatment too.

Sam Rockwell was fantastic! And since we changed the plot around a little, I actually liked Marvin saving the day with the 'point of view' gun!! It would of been funny to have the "I've been waiting all this time in the car park.." line, but oh well, we can't have everything!

I stayed for the credits as I knew something wouldn be missed if I left. That part is so funny... poor dog!

Carla, I LOVE "Restaurant" and I'd so see it if it makes it to a movie!!! (I'm nearly finished that book now... but I know that the "Life" always drags for me).

I'm hearing very mixed reviews... mostly from people who haven't ever heard of Hitchhikers. That's too bad... they've missed out on one hell of a ride!