Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Passionate Fan

Cheesiest Movie Lines

From Cnn.com

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Although "Titanic" soared at the box office in 1997, according to a recent survey, its most memorable line -- "I'm the king of the world!" -- sunk.

British baker Warburtons posed the question "What are your top three cheesiest moments in film?" to 2,000 U.K. moviegoers in celebration of the launch of their new cheese-flavored crumpets.

The line uttered by Leonardo DiCaprio was followed by Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts baby in the corner" from 1987's "Dirty Dancing" and Andie MacDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed," from the end of 1994's "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Warburtons reports that surveyed women opted for romantic comedy moments from films such as "Notting Hill" and "Jerry Maguire" and men preferred silly scenes from action flicks like "Top Gun" and "Braveheart."

Despite the gender divide, 33 percent of the voters agreed on the "Titanic" yell as the cheesiest moment.

The list of big cheese moments:

1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie MacDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."
4. "Ghost": Patrick Swayze's "Ditto," to Demi Moore's "I love you."
5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise: "You can be my wingman anytime."
6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl ... standing in front of a boy ... asking him to love her."
7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!"
9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner: "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Moderator Support Team

I think that comment Hayden said to Natalie Portman in Star Wars Episode II....something about her skin being smooth, unlike sand being coarse or something....should be on this list. It was like "huh?" and then
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Master Fan

What about You Complete me in Jerry Maguire
da #299
Jen Jaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

This is a very subjective topic

It should be noted that some lines are supposed to be corny... Namely, one-liners in a lot of action movies.

Take for instance, James Bond quips whenever he creatively wastes a bad guy like pinning him to a tree with a spear gun in Dr. No: "I think he got the point"

Or, how about Arnold's entire repitiore of films: "I'll be back"; "Hasta La Vista, Baby"; "Remember when I said I'd kill you last? I lied"; etc, etc.

Then you have the more heartfelt lines that are supposed to be sincere, but just come off totally corn-ball like...

Anakin Skywalker to Padme: "We could keep it a secret". "No. We'd be forced to live a lie" Duh!

Half the dialogue in films is mostly filler because film, as a true visual medium would actually encompass NO dialogue whatsoever... as it did in the days of silent film... But I know that not only would no studio in their right mind make a silent film, but no ADD moviegoing fan sit through one either.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Master Fan

Bend it Like Beckham:

Of course I understand... I'm Irish!
Old 12-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Absolute Fan

I think basically every line in Attack of the Clones is cheesy...
gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
Awww, I loved that line, Renee was perfect in that scene....
Congrats Kasey Kahne #9
2005 Chevy American Revolution 400 Nextel Cup Champion

Welcome To The O.C. Bitch
+*~*+SASHA+*~*+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, I agree. Attack of the Clones was filled with cheesy lines delivered badly by the one-note Hayden Christiansen.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra
Yeah, I agree. Attack of the Clones was filled with cheesy lines delivered badly by the one-note Hayden Christiansen.
Which, I might add, are all the fault of George Lucas since he is both the writer and director. "King George" has even fully admitted he is not a very good writer... That begs the question why doesn't he get some HELP in writing the SW movies?!

I also know that HC is a very good actor if you've seen "Life As a House" and "Shattered Glass". He gives stand-out, oscar worthy performances in both (most notably Shattered Glass more in my opinion since he has to carry the film).
Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by +*~*+SASHA+*~*+
Awww, I loved that line, Renee was perfect in that scene....
I agree.

But I think UnsilentMajority has (again - and as usual - thanks!) raised some really interesting points.

It's true - some films are just made for cheesy one-liners, and you know you'll get them before the film even starts. Action films and romantic dramedies are good examples of these films, as are sporst films (like - you KNOW you're going to get the, "Take one for the team and give it your all" speeches, you know).

So yes, it is all subjective, but the lines they chose are ones that you can't help but roll your eyes out when you hear them - and you may have even rolled your eyes at them when you heard them in the theater for the first time!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

Ugh. Every time I hear "cheesy," I remember Soylet Green.

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Princess Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Princess Bing
Ugh. Every time I hear "cheesy," I remember Soylet Green.
People! It's made out of People! Arghhhh!

You gotta love the '60s and their neo-progressive social commentary on things back then.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Jen Jaree
What about You Complete me in Jerry Maguire
that is pretty cheesy

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
BleedingBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty
This is a very subjective topic
Ohh yeah... I mean, I'm offended, I love half of those lines!

People, do not mess with Jerry Maguire darn it!! I love me some Jerry, I can't go more than 3-4 months without watching it.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Master Fan

I love 6 and 8, dammit!!

I don't really see how they are cheesy at all.

They are not my idea of cheesy anyway.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread