Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Master Fan

GG Music #5: We're Hep Alien's groupies and darn proud of it.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Welcome to the GG Music Thread #5! [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

Feel free to discuss any music or musicians you've heard played or referenced on the show, and any that you hope one day they will!

"Our Little Corner of the World" is out!
Here's the cover:
Alternate cover
And the track listing:

Waltz #1 - Sam Phillips
What a Wonderful World - Joey Ramone
Child Psychology - Black Box Recorder
Know Your Onion! - The Shins
I Found Love - The Free Design
Car Song - Elastica
Oh My Love - John Lennon
Getting Married - Sam Phillips
Where You Lead I Will Follow - Carole King and Louise Goffin
Clear Spot - Pernice Bros.
One Line - PJ Harvey
I'm the Man Who Murdered Love - XTC
Maybe Next Week - Sam Phillips
Thirteen - Big Star
Human Behaviour - Bjork
I Don't Mind - Slumber Party
Tell Her What She Wants To Know - Sam Phillips
It's Alright, Baby - Komeda
God Only Knows - Claudine Longet
Smile - Grant-Lee Phillips
O'Oh - Yoko Ono
Rory And Lane - Sam Phillips
Girls From Mars - Ash
My Little Corner of the World - Yo La Tengo

To find out when these songs were on the show check out:
Music Sections of www.gilmoregirls.org and www.gilmore-girls.net
and Audiophile's site which is DEVOTED to Gilmore Girls music plus it has all the "La La's" or Sam Cues you can get your hands on!

Discussion Questions:

Yet to come...

Mascots:

Post away! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gaby

PS. Title courtesy of ilovetheshins for the Hep Alien's groupies part but I came up with the "and darn proud of it" part.
I made my icon.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Gaby, thanks for the beuatiful start to our first groupie thread!
Old 11-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Master Fan

No problem. I'm trying to think of some good discussion questions. Do you have any?

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks for the pretty new thread.

Being a groupie is hard work, but I think I can manage.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by villette
Being a groupie is hard work, but I think I can manage.
Yeah, it's so hard... but really, constantly being on the prowl for new music while satiating repeat-OCDness with more familiar music can be rather draining, in a rather pleasant way.

Discussion questions: hrm... it's hard, because everyone has such a rich fund of musical knowledge here on this thread. Maybe we can discuss ONE (or two, at most) recommendation that everyone who enjoys GG music should listen to. Either a group that has been featured on GG already or one that you feel should be.

You all know me: I back up Belle&Sebastian and The Shins without fail every single time.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Addicted Fan

[Edited because of accidental double post]

Oh, possible discussion questions:
Which season (or episode) do you think had the best use of music, most obscure musical references?
If you could be ASP's music consultant, what would you want played, and during a scene with whom?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Loyal Fan

I would definitely back Belle & Sebastian and The Shins, too. 2 of my favorite bands. I am also a huuuge fan of this singer named Cary Pierce, who's from Dallas and plays tons of local shows around there, plus does a bit of touring around the country. He was in a band called Jackopierce. Anybody heard of him? He has a song called "Vineyard" that's about Martha's Vineyard, and I'd love to hear that song when we get an Emily/Richard reconciliation. It's a really sweet song, and it's about going to the Vineyard. Perfect for those two!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by beccabv
Cary Pierce, who's from Dallas and plays tons of local shows around there, plus does a bit of touring around the country. He was in a band called Jackopierce.
I have heard of Jackopierce before, even as far back as 10 years ago. What do they sound like?

ETA: Darn it. I'm taking a trip to Portland for 4 days this upcoming week, and who is going to be performing there, the night after I leave? Sam Phillips. Didn't even know she was on tour. Anyone seen her live yet? Double darn it. Spoon will be performing in Houston on 12/2, Dallas on 12/3, and Austin on 12/4, for any of you who live closeby. Of course I will be out of Texas at that time, fate would have it....

Last edited by ilovetheshins; 11-29-2004 at 06:54 AM
Old 11-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Loyal Fan

NOOO I will be returning to Texas in mid-December! The music gods are continually smiting me!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins

Discussion questions: hrm... it's hard, because everyone has such a rich fund of musical knowledge here on this thread. Maybe we can discuss ONE (or two, at most) recommendation that everyone who enjoys GG music should listen to. Either a group that has been featured on GG already or one that you feel should be.
Quote:
Oh, possible discussion questions:
Which season (or episode) do you think had the best use of music, most obscure musical references?
If you could be ASP's music consultant, what would you want played, and during a scene with whom?
Excellent discussion questions.

I think season 2 had the best music overall. I mean, Pixies, Pavement, B&S, the Shins, etc. But season 1? A close second. They played and referenced Grandaddy, but my memory is failing me as far as the rest of the references go. Someone want to help a sister out?

Being a music consultant for the show would be a pretty great job, simply for the fact that all you'd be doing is pitching bands/songs or conversing with them about already established stuff. But, I have this image of Amy (and Dan) either cackling with superiority at every suggestion, or just nodding in agreement but then tossing all my ideas out when I leave the room.

OT, but can I please come with to Portland? I'll be good and you won't even know I'm there.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins
Season 2, then 1, definitely.

Ooh, T. Rex! Favorite. Band. EVER. Marc Bolan is my hero. And not "Get It On" or "Hot Love," either. I love them both, but the first is the one that everyone who uses T. Rex uses, and the second was their biggest single. So both are too obvious.

And more Big Star.

Oh, and there's this little local band around my school that I'm rather fond of called PondRock. If somehow they ended up on Amy's radar, that would be nice.

Comes back in and edits the following day...: I love how Death Cab for Cutie is up for vote for musical board after they exploded on the OC when they were played on GG a couple years ago and no eyelashes were batted and a bunch of truly amazing bands have been featured on GG and are getting no attention.

Okay, so I voted for the White Stripes.

Others' votes? (And this is the voting period that started...erm...today. After Alexis got her board.)

Last edited by Airie75; 12-01-2004 at 06:00 AM
Old 12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Airie75
I love how Death Cab for Cutie is up for vote for musical board after they exploded on the OC when they were played on GG a couple years ago and no eyelashes were batted and a bunch of truly amazing bands have been featured on GG and are getting no attention.
Haha yeah that is really funny. What can I say, GG is just awesome-music-central! All the other wannabe shows take their music from ASP! And I voted for DCfC.

You guys know Q and Not U? They're playing at this little club around the corner from me (in Montpellier, France!) in a couple weeks. I'm soooo excited!!!! I doubt anybody's ever heard of them here, I haven't been able to find any of their CDs.

And my roommate was complaining that nobody cool has her birthday, so I did an IMDB search and discovered that Sarah McLachlan and Sam Phillips share her bday. I told her she was very lucky indeed then introduced her to Sam Phillips for about 2 hours.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

I'm more of a Grant Lee than a Sam, but OOH.

Elvis Costello and I share a birthday. *privileged*
Old 12-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

I share my birthday with Al Gore and Ewan McGregor apparently.

Quote:
Originally posted by Airie75
Comes back in and edits the following day...: I love how Death Cab for Cutie is up for vote for musical board after they exploded on the OC when they were played on GG a couple years ago and no eyelashes were batted and a bunch of truly amazing bands have been featured on GG and are getting no attention.

But didn't you know that a band isn't worth your attention or appreciation unless its been featured on the O.C.?

beccabv, I just downloaded "Wonderful People" by Q and Not U the other day from InSound. It's all I've heard by them, but I like. Very danceable.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by villette
But didn't you know that a band isn't worth your attention or appreciation unless its been featured on the O.C.?
Oh, durf. :d'oh:

Closed Thread   Post New Thread