Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Passionate Fan

Movie Roles That Change The Way You Look At The Actor

Ever see a movie that has an actor in it that you hate? And after seeing the movie, and having them portrayed in such a different light, you start to see that actor differently, and even begin liking them?

Or, have you ever seen an actor you always liked in a particular role that made you decide you didn't much like them anymore?

I mean, I can accept that they are movies and all And that it is important to separate the actor from the character. But some cases change that for me.

For example, I just saw Sleepers again, and it just dawned on me how convincing Kevin Bacon is as the sadistic guard. He is genuinely disturbing in that film, and sometimes I can't even see him in other movies without remembering that (it doesn't help that he's appeared in at least two other movies that dealth with child molestation, either!).

Also Robin Williams in One Hour Photo. He was so effective as a creepy stalker who manipulates a family that I can't really shake that image of him.

On the positive side, I've never much cared for Kate Hudson, but after seeing her in Almost Famous, I really think she's got great potential as an actress. She was so perfect in that role and I loved her character. Prior to this, I pretty much dismissed her as the ubitoquous blonde ditz that can be put into any romantic comedy

How about you?
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect. I always thought he's not at all like the usual characters he portrayed in other movies and That 70s Show. He is quite an intelligent guy, unlike the dopes that he plays all the time. I never thought he was a bad actor even in doing comedy, cuz comedy is actually a hard thing to do. I haven't seen anything non-comedic of him before The Butterfly Effect so I was wondering if he could pull it off given he had been so used to making people laugh. And the result was wow, he did a good job.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by quarterley
Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect. I always thought he's not at all like the usual characters he portrayed in other movies and That 70s Show. He is quite an intelligent guy, unlike the dopes that he plays all the time. I never thought he was a bad actor even in doing comedy, cuz comedy is actually a hard thing to do. I haven't seen anything non-comedic of him before The Butterfly Effect so I was wondering if he could pull it off given he had been so used to making people laugh. And the result was wow, he did a good job.
totally i didnt like him with that silly movie he done, dude wheres..., and when i saw this i was like and also OMG he can really act.
sexypinkdots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Elite Fan

Great topic!

I hated Colin Farrell with a PASSION but after I saw PhoneBooth I just had to admit he was a great actor and that his personal life didn't take anything away from that fact.

After that I rented all his movies and I have enjoyed his work ever since.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR

I hated Colin Farrell with a PASSION but after I saw PhoneBooth I just had to admit he was a great actor and that his personal life didn't take anything away from that fact.
Me too! I never had much respect for him but he's definitely an excellent actor.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Master Fan

I agree - fantastic thread topic!

Yes, there are definitely people I've hated whom I saw in a film and just HAD to respect after that. Most significant is Gwynneth Paltrow - I thought the only good role she'd ever done (aside from Emma) was one in which her character died. Thankfully there were lots of those.

Then I saw her in The Royal Tannenbaums. Whew! What an incredible job she did!

The same is true of Owen Wilson - I can't believe he wrote that film! And his acting in it was deliciously destructive. I was so-so with Ben Stiller, but this film did a lot for him, too.

There are more, but I'll have to think about it...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
Passionate Fan

I actually don't like Russell Crowe as a person whatsoever. He seems cocky and pompous, and I'm not really "into" that

But he is one of the best actors out there now. Gladiator, Beautiful Mind, The Insider - he can so easily put himself into any role, it's amazing. That's something I can definitely respect!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree with Kate Hudson and Almost Famous. She always really annoyed me but I lurve that movie and now I like her a little better.

I never liked Jim Carrey, I don't think his comedies are very funny at all, but I love him after seeing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

And every single movie I see Chris Cooper in makes me think something new of him, because he just has so much range it's amazing.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambular
I actually don't like Russell Crowe as a person whatsoever. He seems cocky and pompous, and I'm not really "into" that

But he is one of the best actors out there now. Gladiator, Beautiful Mind, The Insider - he can so easily put himself into any role, it's amazing. That's something I can definitely respect!
We agree again! I was going to say Russell Crowe in my original post but got lazy.

He is SO good. I just live his character with him because he makes it so easy to believe. He's magical on screen. That's the truth. Personally, I don't think he'd be my best friend
Old 11-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Master Fan

Russell Crowe was great in a beautiful mind,

I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan of him before this movie, but it changed my view....
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 AM
Elite Fan

I only saw bits and pieces of A Beautiful Mind on a plane So I would have to rent it to actually see it!

But Russell in Gladiator was just, amazing. That was the film that forced me to admit his wonderful skills. And his little romantic comedy Breaking Up made me another side of him that made me like him even more! I could watch that movie again and again.

Last edited by ROCKSTAR; 11-25-2007 at 10:48 PM
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:40 AM
Master Fan

I agree about Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect. Not that I ever thought he was a bad actor. I mean how can you fault someone and say they won't be good at something until they have at least be given at chance at it? And he 's super great at comedy.

Will Smith was first taken seriously after Six Degrees of Seperation and he was fab in it. Great performance.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Yes! and The Insider - he was also excellent in that, as well. He has a knack for true-life characters.

Virtuosity can be skipped, however
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambular
Yes! and The Insider - he was also excellent in that, as well. He has a knack for true-life characters.

Virtuosity can be skipped, however
I haven't seen Virtuosity, thank God But yes, The Insider was good also. Him being the protective family man was quite nice.

I especially liked his way of portraying a simple man with outstanding weight on his shoulders. Plus, he was next to Al Pacino (my endless love ) and a few great supporting stars.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 AM
Loyal Fan

excellent topic, caught my eye and I had to check it out

I have to go with Jude Law in Wilde.

I have to admit that before seeing Wilde I knew he was a good actor but didn't really care. After seeing Wilde I had to see everything he was in. Shopping was freaky and Gattaca...words cannot describe my love for this movie.

Discrimination = Moral Values?
Rivulet027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread