Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Elite Fan

Second viewing goodness (or badness)

The title says it all. Let's talk about movies that you:

A) Loved the first time and loathed the second time you watched it.

B) Absolutely hated but a cosmic conspiracy managed to make you watch it again and you ended up loving it.

C) Didn't care for and then you found out -- I love/hate this movie!

You get the point

FilmCritic.com has a list of 20 Films That Deserve Another Look and I think we should do the same, well, not really. But we can still talk about it.

I'll begin.

Gladiator - You can't even beging to understand my past hatred for this film. It was like making me sit through an episode of Smallville or worse! Then I had to watch it from beginning to end for a college course and what do you know? I now own the DVD and practically know the dialogue by heart. I love it SOOO much now. Great movie.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Hunt for Red October - When I saw this the first time, I absolutely hated it and wondered what all the hype was about.

Now, almost 15 years later, I can appreciate the movie for what it is saying about standing up and doing (what you consider) the right things no matter the cost. Especially, when the cost of not doing something could be so high (as in a nuclear holocoust in this case).

Gladiator - I've said it before, and I will say it again... I think you have to be a certain age to really appreciate what this movie is saying in terms of its themes which encompass both large scale ideals and personal morals as well.

I think Gladiator is even more relevant today if you live in the United States as we are considered the modern day Roman Empire and it looks like we're also on the brink of falling due to corruption, greed and arrogance just like the empire that Maximums is tasked with restoring to its former glory.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

i wouldn't know about a second viewing of any film.....i only watch a film once......i know what i like and don't like the first time around.....there's just to many new films to watch each and every week, without revisiting the past...once again i'm dancing to a different drummer......
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Master Fan

Mission to Mars, Hated it the first time I saw it, and then loved it the second time I saw it. The first time I saw it, I was coming back from a 13 hour flight from Europe, and thought the movie was a pile of crap... But then when I got home, I rented it and thought it was great.
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Absolute Fan

I think I do this with about every girly teen movie I've ever watched. (Drive Me Crazy, Center Stage, etc.) They just...keep coming on and I finding myself remembering the lines...and they aren't even really that good...it's one of the obsessive guilty pleasure things I guess.
gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Elite Fan

Just for the love of my boyfriend, I had to give LOTR another chance. After watching it a second time, I didn't completely fall in love with it but it definitely came off my "Movies I wouldn't even buy for a Nickel" list.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 01:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

I'm like Gotmilk, but the opposite. I use to love watching teen romance movies, like "She's All That" or "Drive Me Crazy", and now when I catch those movies on cable, I just go "What the HELL was I thinking?!"

You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul. -Julie Jeanne Eleonore de Lespinasse
Summer Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I liked A Beautiful Mind the first time I saw it, but watching it again, it really sucked. That's just not something I can watch more than once.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:55 AM
Passionate Fan

I definitely agree with Filmcritic's list!

Groundhog Day - I easily dismissed this when I was younger, but I have come to appreciate it for how intelligent and honest it was, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Twilight Zone: The Movie was also excellent.

At first I thought Donnie Darko was pretty weird and kind of ignored it for what it was, but now I absolutely love it.

I totally hated Cabin Fever in the theater, but now I think it's hilarious

I thought Fight Club was terrible then. Upon forcing myself to watch it over, I still think it sucks.

Some movies that I liked in the initial viewing, but the more I saw them, I loved them more each time:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation
Identity
American History X
Alien
A Beautiful Mind
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambular (View Post)
Twilight Zone: The Movie was also excellent.

At first I thought Donnie Darko was pretty weird and kind of ignored it for what it was, but now I absolutely love it.

I totally hated Cabin Fever in the theater, but now I think it's hilarious

I thought Fight Club was terrible then. Upon forcing myself to watch it over, I still think it sucks.
I watched Donnie Darko, but forgot all about it like 2 days after.

Cabin Fever I loved the first time I saw it. It was so absurd that I admired everyone who together to make it. Plus, it's all kinds of cool. Hehe.

Fight Club I liked but had to give it a second try for it to finally sink.

One movie I hated the first time, but adored the second time was Return to Me. Now it's one of my all time favorite movies.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 AM
Elite Fan

The Departed- first time i thought it was great, now i think it sucks

same with Kill Bill Vol 2
-res cogitans- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Elite Fan

I thought that Borat was the funniest thing I'd ever seen but after watching it for the second, third and fourth time it just loses it's charm. I funny doesn't hold up with repeat viewings.
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Part-Time Fan

i loved kill bill 2, i think mostly because she kicked butt!!!!!!!!!! and she whacked david carradine, who has gotten on my last nerve for the last 20 odd years.

i loved copycat. sigourney weaver, dermot mulroney, holly hunter, and william mcnamara were perfect in it. and this one has some very scary moments.

does this ever happen to you? i'll be walking thru the theater to watch a movie, and someone in line starts going on about how "scary" the movie is. most of those movies aren't remotely scary. the ring 2? i wanted to smack that woman, but i didn't think the movie was scary.

gerald's game would make a great movie!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Addicted Fan

Cry baby has been that kind of movie for me. When it came out I saw it and loved it. Thougt it was great, then when I saw it a couple of years later, I just hated it. It wa so corny and over the top. But saw it again just a couple of months ago and I like it again. I think I finally see what it is John Waters is trying to do. I like the over the top parts and how he makes fun of all the rules of making a teenage love story.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Little Miss Sunshine. I liked it a little bit the first time..but like now i can't watch it again...i try to cause quite a few of my friends like it..but i just can't finish that movie again lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsomisty (View Post)

does this ever happen to you? i'll be walking thru the theater to watch a movie, and someone in line starts going on about how "scary" the movie is. most of those movies aren't remotely scary. the ring 2? i wanted to smack that woman, but i didn't think the movie was scary.
i hate that..or those people who scream at like every single moment in the film...it gets on my nerves so much lol