Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-20-2004, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

Do comparisons really compare?: A discussion

OK, you can close this down if you think this is inappropriate but I thought it'd be a good discussion topic (even if it doesn't last very long ).

We know that there are so many other bands that have been compared to Evanescence (or vice-versa), but are they really similar? What are your views on this?

One rule: No bashing other bands.

- -
Nellie
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Master Fan

I'm not going to close it. I think it's a great idea.

Evanesence has been compared to Linkin Park a lot, but I think that's totally unfair. They had one song that sounded even remotely like LP (Bring Me To Life) and they were called LP with a female singer. I think that's totally unfair, especially as I don't think BMTL even sounds like LP. People clearly hadn't listened to anything else on their albums.

Although, after they released My Immortal and Everybody's Fool, I think people stopped that comparison a little.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

I think it's normal to compare artists and bands. When we listen for the first time to a new band, we tend to think "it reminds of this other band". It's normal.
But I think it fades away with time. When a band gets more songs released their originality becomes more obvious.
I find Evanescence very original. I can't compare it with Linkin Park or any other band.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Master Fan

I agree that you can't help but compare a band when they first come out. I mean, if you've never heard their music, a comparison will probably the easiest way to describe their music, even if it isn't entirely accurate.

Some comparisons I just can't understand. Like Linkin Park. Now, I love LP, but I don't quite see a similarity. I think the comparison was mostly brought on because of the piano intro to BMTL and the "rap" but that's where it ends. LP doesn't even use a piano in their music (as far as my ears can tell) and Ev doesn't have any other "rapping" or whatnot in their other songs. The other one was Garbage. When I think of Garbage, I think more of a... um, techno-ish sound. I dunno how to describe their sound, but I know it's not at all Evanescence-y. Now, I think the only reason why Garbage is brought up is because they're a fairly popular female fronted band.

When it comes to other female fronted bands though, I think it gets a bit tricky. With the comparisons, I think comes a sort of animosity between the fans. Like, I heard that the Lacuna Coil message board was closed down because Ev fans and LC fans were at each other's throats. I just don't understand why their so hostile. The way they're saying that Ev is the copycat (or in some cases, vice versa)... Granted, they've got the same eerie/deep lyrics and have female vocals, but hey, to me, that's where it really stops. They each have their distinct sound, so I see no reason to fight over it...

- -
Nellie
Old 10-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lost lullaby
LP doesn't even use a piano in their music (as far as my ears can tell)
They do in "In The End", but that was one song and for Ev, the piano is key in defining them.

I haven't even heard any of Lacuna Coil's songs. I'll have to check them out.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

I've also never heard Lacuna Coil.

Comparing Evanescence with Garbage is really weird. Their sounds are totally different.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, the only LP song that has a piano is "In The End"... so I just thought the comparison was just based on that song and BMTL.

You guys should check out Lacuna Coil. Pretty good band!

- -
Nellie
Old 10-29-2004, 09:04 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think the it's fair to say Lacuna Coil and Evanescence sound similar in some ways.

Still, there are noticeable differences in styles that most unbiased listeners should pick up on. I say "unbiased" because some devoted fans have a nasty habit of developing selective hearing upon finding a band that sounds (even somewhat) similar to their beloved. All of a sudden the new band is copying the more established one, etc.

What's sad is these people make themselves look stupid because they fail to remember that making music is an inspirational process. And inspiration usually comes from personal experience, which includes listening to other music through the years. Musical genres not only build upon the foundations laid by previous bands, but also uncover those old foundations for a fresh twist from time to time. It's all a part of the inspirational process that is at the heart of making music.

So, do comparisons really compare? Some do, but most are just gripes by clueless people. Do Evanescence and Lacuna Coil sound similar? Yeah, they do in some ways. However, I think most people are left with a different "feeling" after listening to an Eva album and a Lacuna Coil album.

If you're a fan of Eva, you should check out Lacuna Coil...they're a great band with a good sound. I like Eva better than LC, but again, I see them as separate entities that happen to share a common thread. And if either has taken ideas from the other and integrated it into their sound, that's great. Taking something you've experienced and integrating it into your own world isn't just making music, it's life. All of us do that every day.

And yes, there has been a good amount of tension between some LC and Eva fans, sadly enough.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Addicted Fan

I like both Evanescence and Lacuna Coil.
And as you have said there are some similarites between the two bands, deep lyrics and female vocalists, but I think that both bands have a very unique sound of their own that can't be compaired to each other. As Fuzzy Ewok said, you're left with a different "feeling" after listening to an Evanecence and a Lacuna Coil album.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Master Fan

Fuzzy Ewok - That was very well said! I couldn't have said it better myself. And I totally agree! Especially with the "unbiased-ness" of certain fans. You get that with all music fans too. It's just sad that they won't look past initial comparisons and see the real music.

- -
Nellie
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Master Fan

Heh, sorry to dig this up, but I almost want to sign up to this blabbermouth site and cheer on the person who said this:

Quote:
second the only similarity between these bands that are being mentions on mosts posts (evanesence, within temptation, lacuna coil, nightwish etc etc is that that have female vocals) they all sound pretty different apart from that one common fact.

as far as ripping each other off, considering they all started in the mid 90's and hail from very different locations (Lacuna Coil - Italy, Evanescence - US, Within Temptation - Holland, Nightwish - Finland) its very very unlikely that they would of crossed paths until they had ALREADY decided on their sound, though admittedly evanescence does sound like an americanised version of the other three but hell its probably done the other bands and themselves a favour by putting their sounds in the mainstream much to the elitists on this boards distaste.
End of the day, if you don't like a band because you feel they've gotten too popular then your obviously not into them purely because of the music if you were then would it matter how popular they are? the answer to that would most certainly be a no.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Master Fan

If the rock industry was dominated by women vocalists, when male-fronted bands finally broke through, we would be having the same discussion about them (because A LOT of rock bands sound identical). I think it's ridiculous that any female-fronted rock band is now considered to be ripping off the others.

Last edited by M & M; 01-31-2005 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Fan

That's true. Bands with male vocalists don't get this kind of criticism. Only the bands with female vocalists have to listen to accusations of ripping other bands off.

Quote:
if you don't like a band because you feel they've gotten too popular then your obviously not into them purely because of the music. if you were then would it matter how popular they are.
I couldn't agree more.
I've heard some people say they love a band because they were "alternative". But when that band gets popular, they call them sell-outs. If you love the band for their music, you should get happy when they become popular.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Master Fan

That's so true about the male fronted bands! I mean, there's like Nickelback and all of their croonies (Default, Theory of a Deadman) and what do ya know, they sound pretty similar. And same with Saliva. When Chad Kroeger and Josie Scott did that Spiderman song, I had no idea there were two people singing it. I just assumed that Chad sang and the other guy was like the guest lead guitarist or something...
Old 02-05-2005, 06:21 AM
Master Fan

I can just barely tell the difference between Theory of a Deadman's and Nickelback's new songs and Nickelback is one of my favorite bands.

And I can totally tell the difference between Ev and any other band.

People are just jeaolous.