Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Dedicated Fan

Constructive Criticism and Katie

And now for something completely different...

While the majority of this forum is in praise of Katie and her accomplishments, we have to admit that no one is perfect....even Katie..shocking I know So I thought we could give Katie some constructive criticism by way of discussing some of the career choices and or performances that you felt weren't up to snuff.

To start things off, I guess I wasn't impressed with Phonebooth. I know it got her name out there alittle because Colin Farrell's name was attached but she was barely in it and the plot wasn't great either.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Supreme Fan

I'm gonna start off with the obvious- First Daughter. I just thought it was completely the wrong project for her right after Dawson's Creek. It's such a typical teen movie and given that she spent 6 years as the Teen Queen, she should have spent the time doing something different, maybe an indie movie like Pieces of April or an action movie like Batman Begins. That being said, I do think she has had enough variety in her choices that First Daughter will probably (hopefully) be overlooked as just a blip on the radar.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Abandon - At the end, I felt like I missed a part of the movie that was necessary to the understanding of the story. The whole movie just didn't cut it for me. Even though it was supposed to be a thriller, I thought it had no suspense, no substance and it wasn't really thrilling.

I love Katie's acting and no one is denying her big talent, but I just wish that she picks better storylines in some cases. I think Batman is a wise career choice, it might propel her into a movie star.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

I agree Abandon while it had potential just didn't follow through. My friend and I actually were more entertained by the mouse on the treadmill.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was so excited to see Abandon though...the university scenes were shot in my city.

It was a major disappointment, but I'm just glad I saw it on video.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

I got my copy from my parent's Netflix, so it was free for me

There have been times where I wondered why Katie stayed with Dawson's Creek, well the whole cast, but her and Josh mainly. It just got soooo bad towards the end.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Joey was, after all, her first major role and she got a lot of her fans from her work on DC. Plus, she emerged as the star of the show, so it was great for her. But I agree, the storylines just deteriorated at the end. And the only disadvantage I see is that people will always associate Katie with her role of Joey, until she really finds a breakthrough role.

Personally, I lost interest in DC after the fourth season. I really didn't like what they did with the characters.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
nki
Absolute Fan

I never thought my DC love would go away. I was so hooked with the show esp. with p/j. they had a great development but towards the end, it wasn't really good. It just seemed that the plotlines were thrown everywhere to make the story even longer and...tiring. i wouldn't mind if they finished it off with just three to four seasons, as long as they ended it nicely. i think the actors stayed with the show because it was a huge building block of their career and this is where they got their exposure. i think DC was more than enough and if Katie gets into another teen flick...i won't be one of its avid viewers. It's about time that she gets more credit...other than "Joey Potter, from DC" (even if this might be her best role).

As for Phonebooth, was she even there? (i'm not exactly surprised...because of the phonebooth...but I don't think Katie was really fit for the role...no matter how great she might have presented it)

so yeah, better storylines..& don't stick with the teen flicks (maybe the time will come when viewers won't be shocked when they see sweet little joey take on more mature roles..she's a great actress, and that kind of talent shouldn't be wasted)
Old 10-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I love Katie to death but my criticism is she can;t act. I think her talents are more for telelvision than movies. In any of her movies I just couldnt feel her character as well. I think Katie should find another telelvison show.

"I'm going to make a lot of people eat their words when it's time," .
"Don't be my friend later. Keep it like it is. If you hate me now, hate me later." Vince Carter # 15 on all of his critics.

[Dawson/Joey]

Old 10-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It just seemed that the plotlines were thrown everywhere to make the story even longer and...tiring.
That's very true, they overkilled some stories, but like most TV shows, they worsen over the seasons. It was fun while it lasted though.

Quote:
when viewers won't be shocked when they see sweet little joey take on more mature roles
Viewers have to first seperate Katie and Joey. I know a lot of people who see Joey instead of Katie no matter what she does or where appears even though I think she has taken a variety of roles.

And as you said, the teen flicks she has done aren't helping, but I think Batman is a good way to start. I think it'll appeal to a larger audience.

Quote:
I love Katie to death but my criticism is she can;t act. I think her talents are more for telelvision than movies.
Interesting thought. Have you seen PoA? I think she was fabulous it it and it was a really different role. I'd like to see Katie on TV again someday, but I'd like to see her make a couple of more films first.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

I agree with other posters that the latter seasons of Dawson's Creek (when they went to college) plain sucked and the series went on a downhill slide. I only tuned in to watch Joey.

The person I feel got the worst deal was Meredith Monroe (Andie McPhee). The writers did an excellent job creating the Pacy/Andie relationship in season two and the Pacy character matured alot.
However, they shot it all down in the following season. Why ?

I was a big supporter of Dawson/Joey at the beginning but the writers messed up again and Dawson did a "Ross Gellar" and became all winey and a sore looser. No wonder the Pacy/Joey bandwagon kicked in.

As for Katie Holmes I think she needs to pick good film projects. Although all her films got good praise from Hollywood insiders they did not make any money at the box office. She need to pick a blockbuster role to have a good future in the movie business since movie makers loose interest in actors/actresses very quickly if they don't make money at the box office. Actress Rachael Leigh Cook is a good example of an actress with good protential but she didn't have any great hits after "She's All That" and "Josie and the Pussycats" bombed. I haven't heard her do any blockbuster movies lately only small indie films.

I agree with posters that I too did not understand Abandoned. It did not make sence for anyone to abandon Katie's character. (who would abandon Katie Holmes ? not me )
Old 10-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Although all her films got good praise from Hollywood insiders they did not make any money at the box office. She need to pick a blockbuster role to have a good future in the movie business since movie makers loose interest in actors/actresses very quickly if they don't make money at the box office.
I agree, most recently, "First Daughter" was a disappointment to some when it came down to the Box-Office. And some of the movies that actually did well for her, are those where she had a small secondary role. I've said this already, but I think Batman Begins might just do it for her. Superhero movies are doing quite well now, and I'm hoping Batman can follow in the footsteps of Spiderman or Daredevil.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Elite Fan

I thought Katie did a wonderful job in POA... I didn't think about Joey at all.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

PoA was hands down the best role Katie has played. Different, fun and original. It was a small independant film, but it did pretty well.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkles
PoA was hands down the best role Katie has played. Different, fun and original. It was a small independant film, but it did pretty well.

ITA! She held her own!