Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Master Fan

The High Price of Theater Going

Sucks, doesn't it?

I started this thread somewhere else and got a lot of interesting responses. The other weekend I went to see Hero with a friend and it cost $19 for the two of us! $19!

So I'm curious - what's the most expensive you've paid, and the least you've paid (I mean, where was the least expensive place and where was the most expensive - within the last year).

See...when I was little I actually went to Saturday matinees for 25 cents. But then, I'm old.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

I can literally remember when I was growing up, in the '80s, my parents and I went to afternoon matinees (weekday and weekends) for as little as $3.00 a person.

During the mid '90s it became more like $4.50-6.50 and up.

Now, if I want to go to a matinee (weekday or weekend) it's like $7.50 and it IS $10 per person for a "prime time" showing.

On a related note...

The rise in box office prices is one reason why the home video and DVD sell-through markets are so lucrative for studios now.

They are fully aware that it is costing way too much for families to go a multiplex with their kids, so they just make the price of a DVD less than the price of going to the theater and let basic economics make the consumer's decision for them.

It is smart business, but in the long run I can't help but wonder if it will eventually be their (the studios and Association of Motion Picture Theater Owners) downfall in that they may price themselves right out of any profits from "walk-ins" except for single people and couples without children -- Which does not generate a whole lot of money ironically (compared to a family of three, or four kids + parents).

Also, contrary to popular belief, the rise in box office prices isn't because big A-List stars demand 20 million (or more) a film.

The salaries they are paid come from studios which in turn comes from investors who put up the bonded funds for a film to be produced. Therefore, technically, they have nothing to do with how much multiplexes charge. The rise in prices comes from the greed of the MPATO (above) and the studios to be blunt.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Master Fan

I agree that movie prices are ridiculous...but I think that some theaters are worth it...
The cleanliness, the atmosphere, the comfort.

I try to bring in my own candy and soda...

(the upside of carrying a slightly large pocketbook)...

claudia
Old 09-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by UnsilentMajorty
During the mid '90s it became more like $4.50-6.50.

Thats still the price at my local theater. Of course, if you go out of town things get more expensive. While they offer more selection of movies to see. I like my cheap theater. They show most of the big movies and you can't beat the price.
Subject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Total Fan

Let's see, when I was a child and on the military base, I think 25 cents was the going rate.

Later, after my dad retired and we moved to the "real" world, I can vaguely remember when prices went up to $3.00 for evening shows (before that I had no concept of money except that the place to get it was Mommy and Daddy). Later, after prices had been raised again, one theater advertised Tuesdays as "Family Night" and everybody paid $2.50. We saw alot of movies on Tuesdays.

Then there was the advent of the $1.00 Discount Movie houses, eventually raised to $1.50. I'm not sure what the going rate is now in my area, although I want to say $3.00.

Except for one special occasion, I haven't seen a movie in the evening in over 10 years. Make that at least 15 years. I always catch the matinees, and have been known to whine when a film I want to see is at the "expensive" theater across the highway that charges 50 cents more than the theater closer to my house.

I am, however, sometimes willing to purchase my tickets online, despite the $1 processing fee, for specific films (LOTR!!!).
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Star

It's been $6.50 here for years, but it's recently been raised to $7.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Posted by m&m fan: I try to bring in my own candy and soda...
Yep. That's the only way to go. Instead of spending $13 at the theater, I probably spend only $10. And I go every week. There's always something out that I want to see.

But it's damn hard trying to cram everything in my purse.

lex/lana("I did it for you") felicity/noel("you're my first boyfriend") trey/alex(mixing business with pleasure) seth/chloe(every superhero needs a lois lane)
last beautiful girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Elite Fan

8.50/6

Back home we had a $1 theater across the street form the big one, it showed the been out for awhile movies. I don't mind paying, cuz well it's getting away and for th emost part, it's part of an outting with friends.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Addicted Fan

I remember when movie tickets were AU$7.50 for adults and AU$6.00 for children, that was when I was 13 or so.....and Tuesdays were cheap days and were AU$5 for all. NOW "cheap" Tuesdays are $9 for all I think regular tickets are like AU$13.50.....or maybe even more, it's ridiculous. I NEVER buy lollies, drinks, or popcorn at the cinema, unless I'm with someone and we go halves on popcorn. But lollies and drinks you can bring from home just as easily.

The Astor, where I go to most, is AU$11 and most of their films are double-bills so you get two on the one ticket. There's also a cinema where I saw Finding Nemo, I think the Waverley, where tickets are only like AU$6 each....it's a tiny little back-water one but for those prices, I do mean to go again

Most expensive is Hoyts La Premiere which was like AU$35 but with that you get lounge seats and unlimited popcorn and drinks. so we did that with the LOTR films because in 3 hours you get thirsty enough to justify the expense, and also comfy seats are a plus
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Addicted Fan

I think the highest around here is like...$8.50. Today I went to a small movie theater and it was $5.75, which is quite cheap for a nighttime showing.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Well here it's 6.50, but that's if I want to see a movie that just came out.
I usually wait until it goes to the dollar movie, but sometimes if I reallllly want to see the movie I go to the expensive one. At the dollar movie I can get in the movie, get a drink and popcorn, and I'm usually one of the only ones in the theater all for about 8 dollars. Pretty cool.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Absolute Fan

Rarely will I pay non-matinee prices. The only time I've done that, IIRC, is for an animated movie I wanted to see with the possibility of as few little kids as possible. Otherwise I pay for matinee showings ($5.50) or, more often, pay the special first matinee of the day ($4, used to be $3.75). Thank goodness for working evenings, so I can go to the 11 a.m. to noon showings.

The cheapest I've paid is 50 cents (although recently it went up to 75) for the first matinee at the $1 theater. If it's a movie I have to see again or one I'm not sure I'll like, I'll see it at this theater. The problem with the cheap theater is the seats aren't very comfortable and, to sit in the back row (which I usually do if there will be a lot of people), is miles away from the screen.
BYtheSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Passionate Fan

I used to work at an AMC Theaters in downtown Chicago. It was $7 for students/matinee, $6.50 for children/seniors, and $9.50 for adults.

The managers also told us that the theater got next to NOTHING from the tickets. Most of their profit comes from the sale of concessions.

I wonder if big cities have more taxes, which is why they charge higher prices? I know our ticket prices included sales tax and other taxes in the price...so maybe that's why?
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Loyal Fan

My university's movie theatre has a film society where you can join for $20 and get a pass to 10 movies. That's two bucks a movie.

Even if you don't join the filmsoc, students get into every movie for $3. It's a sweet deal.

*Edited to say that those prices are in Canadian funds..
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 PM
New Fan

Hahah. Everytime I go to the movies I complain (loudly) at how high the prices are. Seriously? $9.75. Phssht.
Reply   Post New Thread